PDA

View Full Version : Is this because of the ICM?

NyteEscape
08-03-2007, 10:34 AM
well, i have a friend who has the same B5 as me except his is a 5-speed. it's chipped and has the normal little goodies.

yesterday, he told me that his car was idling very heavy and sounded like a WRX. since i own a B6 that just had a coil pack blow recently i immediately though that. when i checked his car for misfires, and they were on cylinder 2, and there were quite a bit of them.

i then switched the coilpacks for 1 and 2, then checked again. misfires were still on cylinder 2.

i then switched the spark plugs for 3 and 2, then checked with vag-com again. cylinders were still on cylinder 2.

i then switched the coilpacks for 3 and 2, but again, misfires only on cylinder 2.

i did a little bit of research on the forums and found that the ICM was a common problem for B5. does this sound like an ICM gone bad?

onemoremile
08-03-2007, 10:36 AM
You nailed it. Bad ICM.

E Fresh
08-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Def sounds right[up]

NyteEscape
08-03-2007, 10:46 AM
ive been looking for an ICM and have found a few. the Bosch is $290 at ecs. however, i also found a Huco one on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUCO-VW-Passat-Golf-Jetta-Audi-A4-Ignition-Control-Unit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33691QQihZ013QQite mZ230042201218QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

is that good?

if not, can i get it from the dealer? I assume the part is the same for a B5 Passat? would it better to get it from VW or Audi?

jlien08
08-03-2007, 11:00 AM
go to autohausaz.com

two models, ranging from $108-$135

That sounds exactly like what mine was doing, but I had a bad MAF.

NyteEscape
08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
go to autohausaz.com

two models, ranging from $108-$135

That sounds exactly like what mine was doing, but I had a bad MAF.

were ur misfires on the same cylinder no matter which you switched?

jlien08
08-03-2007, 11:37 AM
yep, I replaced the ICM about a year ago, so i knew it wasn't that. I had also replaced the coil packs. All hoses were tight and connections made. I kept getting misfires on cyl. 1, then after rough idling for a minute or two at running temp, it would die. I learned from some of the guys on AZ that if you unplug the MAF while it's idling rough and it runs better, there is a good chance that it's the MAF. I would check it out, but listen to these other guys too, they know more about this stuff than I do!

p.s. if he is still able to drive the car while it's doing that, it's probably the ICM

NyteEscape
08-03-2007, 12:30 PM
p.s. if he is still able to drive the car while it's doing that, it's probably the ICM

yea, you can still drive it fine. in the higher RPMs, it almost still feels normal. You have to vag it in the higher rpms to notice that it's misfiring. i thought that the MAF is the plug on top of the tube that leaves the intake? is it located directly under the intake tubing at the front of the car?

jlien08
08-03-2007, 02:16 PM
The MAF plug sits right next to the ICM on top of the intake housing. I really don't think that's what it is though if you can still drive it. Mine wouldn't stay running long enough to get it backed out of the drive way.

I'd say just order the ICM from autohausaz.com

onemoremile
08-03-2007, 03:06 PM
The evidence implicating the ICM is the consistency of the misfire. It stays on 2 regardless of plugs or packs. A common failure of the ICM is burning through a lead that feeds a pack. This kills that cylinder or makes it intermittent.

E Fresh
08-03-2007, 03:48 PM
try stopshopanddrive.com they have the Huco one for I believe $120. Their processing and shipping is fast[up]

Mad_Audi
08-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Bad ICM.....the WRX reference is exacty how i explained the problem to my best friend thats an Audi tech and it was the problem

NyteEscape
08-04-2007, 09:37 AM
well, i got the part from autohaus for $108 + shipping. it should be here by monday, so im gonna put it in then update here.

NyteEscape
08-08-2007, 04:31 PM
well, i changed out the ICM today. it worked. runs smooth, may need to change plugs, but no misfires or anything else like that.

thanks again for all your help, really appreciate it.

AudiSport12
08-09-2007, 08:12 AM
i have a similar problem that happened last night. im assuming you threw a CEL from the misfires? mine sounds exactly like a WRX at lower RPMs untill in higher rpms and then it almost seems to run fine. also, my misfire was on cylinder 2. but i got a code for a throttle valve controller malfunction. did you hae this code too? i havent been able swap around coils and plugs but my VAG COM on my laptop is screwed and works randomly only for a few seconds.
check this thread..
http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153594

onemoremile
08-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Definitely change the plugs. The cylinder that was misfiring probably has a fouled plug.

NyteEscape
08-09-2007, 10:00 AM
i have a similar problem that happened last night. im assuming you threw a CEL from the misfires? mine sounds exactly like a WRX at lower RPMs untill in higher rpms and then it almost seems to run fine. also, my misfire was on cylinder 2. but i got a code for a throttle valve controller malfunction. did you hae this code too? i havent been able swap around coils and plugs but my VAG COM on my laptop is screwed and works randomly only for a few seconds.
check this thread..
http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153594

well, i didnt get that code, but everything else was pretty dead on.

Definitely change the plugs. The cylinder that was misfiring probably has a fouled plug.

yea, when i took that plug out, it was nasty. very nasty. but my friend is a little "economical" so he said he'd change out the plugs later as long as it runs fine now...

djxtreme
08-12-2007, 01:42 PM
would someone answer my newbie question....what is an icm/ where is it and what does it stand for?

AudiSport12
08-12-2007, 01:47 PM
ignition control module.

turns out my ICM was fine because i swapped my ICM with a tester and still misfired. i ordered some new coil boots because all 4 were cracking and splitting. im hoping that is my stuttering problem and causing me to misfire but i wont know till monday if it fixed it.

NyteEscape
08-12-2007, 05:24 PM
would someone answer my newbie question....what is an icm/ where is it and what does it stand for?

it sits right on top of ur airbox. when u remove the cover, there should be a little flat box that has 2 plugs connected to it on opposite sides. it says bosch on it. then again, so do most of the things on the car.

you'll see it when you take the cover off.

djxtreme
08-13-2007, 01:54 AM
is this the same for 2.8? and, is it as common a problem on the 2.8?

HIERLEVELZ
09-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I had the misfortune of having a misfire on cylinder 2 as well(flashing cell and the car sounded like it had an exhaust leak). Except when i switched around the coilpacks(switched 1 with 2) i no longer had the misfire. I vag'd the car today and still nothing. So i'm thoroughly confused not sure if its the coilpack or the ICM. Anyone got any insight?

burner799
09-06-2007, 01:17 AM
im running a berut that i got for 100 shipped from my mechanic. I used silver computer heat disipation gel under it to help with the life of the new one. Apparently the heat fucks it up and its good to reaply the gel every year.