PDA

View Full Version : Car wont move is it clutch or tranny

naqueal
08-02-2007, 11:10 PM
HAd the car out today and i was riding in 3rd. Went to shift to 4th all of a sudden RPM's just shot up I was thinkin maybe i didnt get it all the way to 4th, so i backed down to 2nd gear as im building up RPM's i hear a pop and it feels like the car popped out of gear. Im screwed No matter what gear i put the car in it will not move I hear a scraping noise and i see the speedometer move but the car wont .. I feel the clutch engaging/disingaging

Had the car towed to JE imports out here in baltimore, MD going back in the am to see what they have to say but does any one have a clue to whats going on ?

I have a 1.8t quattro please any advise before i get hit in the head with a 2000 labor bill [wrench]

mike-2ptzero
08-03-2007, 06:55 AM
If it pops out of gear it is most likely the trans. If it just feels like the clutch isn't grabbing or you cant put it into gears while the car is running then it is the clutch.

Starting
08-03-2007, 06:59 AM
when this happened to me my trans went. With the car running i could shift to any gear without using the clutch pedal. The car would not move. First thought check your axles.

onemoremile
08-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Then check the classified for a used 1.8t or 2.8 transmission.

naqueal
08-03-2007, 08:52 AM
when this happened to me my trans went. With the car running i could shift to any gear without using the clutch pedal. The car would not move. First thought check your axles.
Well with mines I cant throw it in gear unless I press the clutch, The car is @ the shop .. My theory is if the speedometer is working what ever is broke is after the speed sensor !...Where is the speed sensor on my car ? as for the driveshaft/axel if that snapped I would have front wheel drive @ least correct?

naqueal
08-03-2007, 09:27 AM
I may check the classifeds for a new car ... lol A6 2.7t ofcorse my fat ass needs a little more room

dj spiel
08-03-2007, 09:31 AM
wtf---hows a tranny just break? weird...hope mine will stay in tact (knock on wood)

Starting
08-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Well with mines I cant throw it in gear unless I press the clutch, The car is @ the shop .. My theory is if the speedometer is working what ever is broke is after the speed sensor !...Where is the speed sensor on my car ? as for the driveshaft/axel if that snapped I would have front wheel drive @ least correct?

No. If an axle breaks the car will not move.

naqueal
08-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Ok quick update got a message today from JE they said one axle is snapped the other is on its way out ... So just as you said axle broke but if i have a quattro with 2 axles broke dosent that mean i still should have 2 wheels getting power ?

So i can understand better does anyone have a schematic of the quattro system cause this is killing my brain,

engine
flywheel
clutch
transmission
driveshaft to rear ?
how are the front wheels powered

mike-2ptzero
08-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Ok quick update got a message today from JE they said one axle is snapped the other is on its way out ... So just as you said axle broke but if i have a quattro with 2 axles broke dosent that mean i still should have 2 wheels getting power ?

So i can understand better does anyone have a schematic of the quattro system cause this is killing my brain,

engine
flywheel
clutch
transmission
driveshaft to rear ?
how are the front wheels powered

The way quattro(torsen) works is that the power is sent to the hub that has the least resistance. So if you have a broken axle all the power is sent to that axle and the others get nothing. When this happens the car goes no where, it basicly feels like the car isn't going into gear or the clutch isn't engaged.

naqueal
08-05-2007, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the help in diagnosing the issues. Even though the AWD is all mechanical it has enuff sense to send power to the wheel that has the least grip.

2 axles should be most 2 hours of work. Great thought i was going to have to sell the A4. Are there any aftermarket axle i should be looking @ or is OEM ok?

onemoremile
08-05-2007, 07:14 AM
??? Sending power to the corner with the least grip is exactly the wrong way to do it. It should send power to the corner with the most grip. Any one wheel loses traction completely and the car stops moving.

2 full axles (call raxles) should be 2-4 hours worth of work depending on how easily the axle bolt comes out and if there are any issues getting things in the right place for removal. Remember to remove and reinstall the ABS wheel speed sensors too.

Starting
08-05-2007, 07:20 AM
I personally like raxles.com They have rebuilt axles for about $180 i think.

onemoremile
08-05-2007, 07:24 AM
I costs just under 200 when all is said and done. A little more initially due to the core charge. The refurbed axle the send is just beautiful. They also include a pair of rubber gloves, new fasteners, etc..

mike-2ptzero
08-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the help in diagnosing the issues. Even though the AWD is all mechanical it has enuff sense to send power to the wheel that has the least grip.

2 axles should be most 2 hours of work. Great thought i was going to have to sell the A4. Are there any aftermarket axle i should be looking @ or is OEM ok?

That is why the car has ABS wheel sensors so that when 1 wheel is spinning much more then the others it applies the brakes to slow it. This does not come into play when a axle, CV or diff snaps.

audiness
08-05-2007, 10:02 AM
axles aren't too expensive. I'm surprised that you broke one though, they seem like they'd be pretty tough.

naqueal
09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Update!! it was the pass side axle. I replaced both. Car is moving again ... Thanks all for the help

Should you guys need something from mp3car dot com let me know I can work out a 5% off $300 aint much but how I can say thanks !

woofster
09-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Glad to see all is back in running order again. How much did this bit of repair work cost you?

naqueal
09-04-2007, 04:59 AM
$135 each axle and 3 hours of labor @ $87 per hour
but do not go to JE imports had them do some other work while they was under the car and they screwed up. HAd them replace a Fuel filter and from that i was leaking gas for a week... Fixed the issue my self