PDA

View Full Version : Brand New K04 blows after 2 days of use.

Militant-Grunt
08-02-2007, 09:40 AM
So I'm driving down from my friends house doing about 80 in 5th, when I hear a slight pop, all a sudden all loss of power occurs, and a massive smoke screen. I pull over everything looks fine, wait a minute check my oil, its fine. I get back in, the car is very unresponsive, start driving slowly, after about 5 miles, I pull over again, check my oil and it had gone down a quart.

Once I limped the car to my shop, I open everything up, check the turbo, the exhaust side of the turbo undid itself and buried itself into the housing of the turbo. The intake kit of the turbo was still freely spinning.

How the hell does a turbo break after 2 days of use. Mind you I installed everything correctly, I didn't have the file for the turbo, was running on the k03 file (turns out i have a old GIAC chip and its not eligible for upgrade).

I'm about to contact supreme power parts and give them a piece of my mind because this is outrageous.

Sal R.
08-02-2007, 09:49 AM
That blows...literally.

10k on my used K04.

Hope I'm not as unfortunate.

GL w/ the replacement.

dualaudi
08-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Doesn't sound like the software issue, more like a manufacturing defect...

Euro-Tuner
08-02-2007, 11:02 AM
honestly you should probably not mention the software, and possibly delete is from this thread, I will remove this comment if thats what you plan on doing

Rosati
08-02-2007, 11:03 AM
^^ I agree

There should be no excuse, unless of course you were running it w/o the Wastegate valve connected, like myself : )

I already did so to mine

Euro-Tuner
08-02-2007, 11:05 AM
you know you need to adjust the wastegate when you install the KO4 right, I doubt it will cause it to blow, but they have the wastegate actuator about 5+ full turns too tight

Burntaudi
08-02-2007, 12:52 PM
you know you need to adjust the wastegate when you install the KO4 right, I doubt it will cause it to blow, but they have the wastegate actuator about 5+ full turns too tight

Can you elaborate? I've had my K04 for a few years and never touched the wastegate adjustment. I got my through www.evoms.com they had it drop shipped right from Borg-Warner. Never had a issue.

onemoremile
08-02-2007, 01:13 PM
A K03 file won't cause a K04 to blow. The S4 has been running a pair of them on a K03 chip for over 100k miles now. I think you had a manufacturing defect that took a day or two to work loose. Had it made it a month or two it would be a different story. You had short term failure. How much did you dive the car since installation?

Euro-Tuner
08-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Can you elaborate? I've had my K04 for a few years and never touched the wastegate adjustment. I got my through www.evoms.com they had it drop shipped right from Borg-Warner. Never had a issue.

When you got the KO4, the wastegate actuator was adjusted really tightly. so to avoid surging (in NDBW cars) you need to back off the nuts so the wastegate is loose, then hold it shut w/ your finger, and tighten the nuts to that spot fingre tight, and put the clip back on. not only does this help w/ surging but it will avoid your boost tapering off really fast when you redline. there is no universal tightening spec, you need to see where it works for you, somewhere between suring and the boost dieing off, find a happy medium. I am DBW, so I wont have surging issues, but my boost drops fast at redline so I have to take out my turbo and adjust it again...I really dont want to, but I need to

dualaudi
08-02-2007, 01:51 PM
So adjusting the WG actuator more the boost will drop off less at redline? I go from 18 to 10-12 toward redline....

Euro-Tuner
08-02-2007, 01:56 PM
yeah, but since your DBW, when you loosen it, it will cause surging...but only if you loosen it a lot, like I said, there will be a happy medium somewhere, I would suggest 1 to 1.5 full turns after touching...as it is, it comes at 5 or more...

trademark
08-02-2007, 03:33 PM
this is all good info that i didn't know. wonder why this is not more widely know or explain by the ko4 reselers

AudiRacerS4
08-02-2007, 04:48 PM
woo i have a cranked wastegate and hold 19 to redline and ive had my k04 for a year and a half

Euro-Tuner
08-02-2007, 05:07 PM
no surging issues..I need to adjust mine bad, Im too lazy

MikeWasHere05
08-02-2007, 09:21 PM
woo i have a cranked wastegate and hold 19 to redline and ive had my k04 for a year and a half

On the chance of taking this thread offtopic...

I notice you have PC-16. I plan on eventually taking that route (trying to do all the supporting mods first), but I've heard that the K04 has a pretty short powerband (feels like "hitting a wall" at 5500). You say you're pulling 19 pounds till redline. [confused] Elaborate?

Poopie
08-02-2007, 10:38 PM
it honesly is not as bad as people make it, I think the "hitting the wall" statement is partly due to skyrocketing intake temps and timing pull from a small turbo hanging on to dear life spinning at 250,000 rpm.

Militant-Grunt
08-03-2007, 08:37 AM
I put the K03 back in everything is working fine in the car again. I checked all the hoses, weather the oil line was feeding oil, coolant lines, vac lines, and hoses. Everything was in perfect shape. I'm shipping out the thing today, supreme power is being very cooperative they're willing to help me out to the full extent, tho the turbo will be warrantied via borg werner.

Euro-Tuner
08-03-2007, 08:46 AM
SPP is the best company I have ever had to deal with...those guys care more about thier customers than anything else, I was 100% satisfied when I got my FMIC from them

AB18
08-03-2007, 08:48 AM
I ran 29psi on my ko4 back when i had it. Onemoremile, did you guys notice any hp dif after the ko4s were installed and still running the ko3 s4 chip.

Euro-Tuner
08-03-2007, 08:50 AM
Im running 26psi...

indyfab302
08-03-2007, 09:13 AM
just a thought... did you prime the turbo w/ oil before firing up the motor after install? At idle the turbo spins at some ungodly rpm like 30,000. No oil for even a very short period could damage the journal bearing. Did you do any break in procedure after installation? I was warned after installing my K04 to stay out of boost as much as possible for the first oil change... 500 mi w/ dino oil. After an oil change w/ Amsoil then I started getting on it...

Militant-Grunt
08-03-2007, 09:41 AM
A K03 file won't cause a K04 to blow. The S4 has been running a pair of them on a K03 chip for over 100k miles now. I think you had a manufacturing defect that took a day or two to work loose. Had it made it a month or two it would be a different story. You had short term failure. How much did you dive the car since installation?

First 250 miles I took it easy, didn't gun it really, just normal driving. The turbo was primed with Royal purple oil, even with a little bit of coolant, like in every single respect the turbo was babied.