PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye clutch

MikeWasHere05
08-02-2007, 09:19 AM
The other night I let a friend who's not really used to standard (drives a tiptronic) drive my car and after a few miles it slipped pretty bad. This is two weeks after waterfest, where I wasn't really showing it much love anyways. Its also the third time since I've owned the car (december '06) that its glazed/slipped. I figure I'm gonna forgo tints and ecodes and all that and just throw in a clutch before winter comes, rather than be stranded in snow banks.

Southbend OFE stage 3 most likely, I was looking at a lwfw but then I realized the majority of them cost more than the actual clutch. [down] Does AZ have any hookups for a clutch or flywheel? I'm going to email Jeff in a bit.

I'm gonna see if another buddy would help me out with the install for like $100, I'm also calling up a few CT shops to get quotes.

EDIT: Plans for the car are all the supporting mods, then a big decision between 28R and K04. Depends how much money I have at the time really, but if I have enough for the 28R it means I have a backup car and can afford the downtime to put in a stg4/5.

Euro-Tuner
08-02-2007, 09:29 AM
why would your buddy help you out with $100...just loan you or he's chipping in b/c he slipped it a little...honestly if you want him to chip in $100 b/c he slipped it, it had 1 foot out the door already, dont take this the wrong way, but thats kind of an asshole thing to do to a friend....IMO

I've had friends break parts, but if it was bound to happen on my someday, I didnt let it bother me

anyways, Southbend stage III FTMFW

MOFSTEEL
08-02-2007, 09:33 AM
why would your buddy help you out with $100...just loan you or he's chipping in b/c he slipped it a little...honestly if you want him to chip in $100 b/c he slipped it, it had 1 foot out the door already, dont take this the wrong way, but thats kind of an asshole thing to do to a friend....IMO

I've had friends break parts, but if it was bound to happen on my someday, I didnt let it bother me

I agree, you have how many thousands of miles of beating on this clutch and youre going to ask your friend to pay you 100 bucks cuz he drove it 5-10 miles?
Sorry, but if I was your friend id tell you to go F$@#!! yourself. [down]

MikeWasHere05
08-02-2007, 09:34 AM

Haha, no I was saying that I was going to pay another friend of mine $100 to help out with the install if I decided to go the DIY route. Making the kid who glazed it pay would be pretty dick. If anything I should thank him, I'd probably end up getting some performance mods and start slipping even worse in the winter, where DIY wouldn't be an option and I'd have to definitely pay out the ass at a shop. [up]

I saw some reviews when I was searching that people with software and some other little things were spinning all the tires with a stage 3. Does that sound true?

Euro-Tuner
08-02-2007, 09:39 AM
oh thank god, I was thinking you were a huge ass, but thats doesnt seem to be the case

I have the SB stg III and I can lay down a patch when I launch w/ really good tires, but Im ko4 w/ ALL the supporting mods

and if you have the ability, absolutly DIY, there is a couple really good write-ups around, one good one on a4mods.com...good luck man, PM me with questions, I did mine not too long ago, so everything should still be fresh in my mind

and FWIW, I broke mine in for well over 1,000 miles

Poopie
08-02-2007, 09:45 AM
i did. you only neede basic tools really and its just a bunch of little steps which make it time comsuming. Maybe its me, but i find a clutch swap very easy.

MikeWasHere05
08-02-2007, 10:35 AM
About how long does it take to replace the clutch?

Poopie
08-02-2007, 10:51 AM
first time took 10 hours on a lift. I did mine in 8 hours laying on my back in my garage. plan a weekend to do it. start on friday after work. you should be able to drop the tranny by midnight. saturday install the clutch and begin to muscle the tranny in. if you can get the tranny bolted up then call it a day and have some beers. the hard part is over. the on sunday button everything up and it your weekend won't be so horrible.

Euro-Tuner
08-02-2007, 10:56 AM
nothing goes as smoothly as planned...plan on that

OrangeWuN
08-02-2007, 11:03 AM
i love my Southbend Stage 4 Clutch :)

if i could i'd make it even heavier!

Poopie
08-02-2007, 03:22 PM
my stage 4 is great too. I hate stepping into a stock car and nearly putting my foot through their floor board though cause i'm so used to mine

BzeB5A4
08-02-2007, 03:38 PM
my clutch is on its last leg too. I've been letting a bunch of friends learn to drive (manual) on my car. So that it goes sooner lol.

But I got a Spec stg 3 and aluminum fw sittin in my basement for when it goes.

I wish i could get some help and Go the DIY route.
I've been quoted $700 to $1000 at different shops around here!!

I'd give anyone $400 if they'd do it for me :)!!

Poopie
08-02-2007, 06:29 PM
drive to pa and i'll do it for 300

$teady$upreme
08-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Im about to get a new clutch and install it as well. But don't know if i will DIY or let some professionals to do it for me.

Is it really possible to do it laying on your back?

97audia4
08-02-2007, 08:32 PM

yo if you want to install my clucth for that ill pay you in cash on the spot

Poopie
08-02-2007, 09:16 PM
done, pm me and its a deal.

BzeB5A4
08-02-2007, 09:34 PM

U Suck! If only you weren't 600 miles away...But that road trip would break the clutch in lol.

Poopie
08-02-2007, 09:38 PM
haha well make a trip to philly or new york. If you are gonna spend 700 for a shop, you might as well make a trip here and kinda get a vacation out of it.