PDA

View Full Version : Whoosh sound from under the dash...

AustinQuattro
08-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Anytime I get on the boost, there's a pretty loud whoosh sound under the dash on the left side. It stays on the whole time I'm on the boost and only then. There's no light on CEL but the car seems slower and like it takes a lot more to get moving. I'm not sure how long it's been happening because the wife is the only one driving it now, and she doesn't even recognize when it needs oil. (that's why I have to get in it every couple weeks just to make sure it's not messed up)

It just went out of warranty last month so I don't want to take it to the dealer yet. Any ideas?

[confused][confused][confused]

dukez
08-01-2007, 10:07 AM
1 out of 2 replies will say you probably have a leak. And since this is 1 reply...

zrowcool
08-01-2007, 10:34 AM
boost gauge?

SurferForever
08-01-2007, 01:21 PM
What mods do you have done to your car? If you have an intake, the woosh sound that you are hearing may be the sound of the engine/turbo sucking in the air.

Do you have a boost gage? If you do are you noticing the car boosting any less?

Need some info about your car before we can start to troubleshoot it.

speedydragon
08-01-2007, 01:40 PM
an intake wouldn't create a "woosh" sound on the left side of the car \

Ewok_Fetus
08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
L hose on the intake manifold...

AudiCross
08-01-2007, 03:17 PM
ya, 99.999% chance thats what i tis. a boost guage wont help. i bosted 9 psi unchipped which is normal with that noise. looking at ur engine compartment, on your right side of the engine around the intake manifold, there should be a "l" shaped hose. check that for cracks. mine had a big leak

Monkeyboy
08-02-2007, 05:01 AM
If you have a boost gauge = likely leak in the tubing going to the gauge.
If not = likely 'L' hose near the coolant reservoir - mine made a very noticeable woooosh when it split (on the bottom - couldn't see the split from the top)

NFryan
08-02-2007, 06:07 AM
mine does it too. found a hole in the T-shaped hose on the PCV valve. and in my SMIC. Car takes forever to spool up. Major power loss. and at 15lbs o boost it sounds like a tornado is coming. Do a boost leak test. i fixed 1 hole im up 2 lbs o boost already. waiting on the parts for the other fix

AustinQuattro
08-02-2007, 11:01 AM
THANKS! I called the dealer (they've been pretty good to me and fair too) and they said the same thing. Just about 3 months ago they changed out a ton of stuff because of a sludge issue. I wonder if that could have caused it.

Either way, I'm going to check the hoses you have mentioned. Thank you.

And by the way...it's bone stock. I almost never drive it anymore but my wife does and she doesn't really catch things. She tells me the other day, when I found this out, "oh, it doesn't have the same power any more...I almost got run over when I tried to pull in the fast lane and didn't have any power!"

Don't suppose she could have told me that before I noticed the noise...

Thanks again...I'll post what I find.

--Scott