PDA

View Full Version : what module controls locking/unlocking/alarm?

k0mpresd
08-01-2007, 06:01 AM
my remote doesnt work anymore :(

it is not the batteries [rolleyes]

what module in the car controls those functions?

mike-2ptzero
08-01-2007, 06:10 AM
The one in the trunk on the passenger side.

Do the doors lock/unlock with the key or switch on the driver door?

k0mpresd
08-01-2007, 06:15 AM
door locks and everything function as normal

just the remote doesnt do it

windows even roll up/down holding the key in the drivers door

mike-2ptzero
08-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Yeah sounds like the alarm/remote module which is in the trunk.

kjgarreau
Central locking pump is shot. If you take it apart, the graphite wheel is probably shattered. There's some Howto's on AW for r/r.

Euro-Tuner
how do you know the batteries are good? did you just replace them? possibly a bad contact or wrong battery is my best guess...the reciever unit is the trunk w/ the vacuum pump like Mike stated, I had one go from corrosion in my '96, but the doors wouldnt even lock with the key in the door, I had to do everything manually...the problem must be in the key if the pump still works. you might have to re-program your key or some reason.

if you have a spare switchblade key, try the other one and see if it works

Euro-Tuner
08-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Yeah sounds like the alarm/remote module which is in the trunk.

if everything is acting normal w/ the key in the door than the module should be fine...

onemoremile
08-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Central locking pump is shot. If you take it apart, the graphite wheel is probably shattered. There's some Howto's on AW for r/r.

If the pump was shot the doors wouldn't be working normally.

It sounds like one of three things.

a) the remote isn't sending a signal to the car. could be batteries or a failed remote.
b) the car isn't receiving the remote's signal. pretty rare since this part of the module rarely fails.
c) the remote and car are fine but the car doesn't recognize the remote. replace the battery (no reason not to now) and recode the remote. better yet, start by clearing the 4 slots and key yours into the first position.

k0mpresd
08-01-2007, 07:19 AM
the remote was working perfect

until one day i closed the sunroof from inside my house by holding the lock button...after that it no longer worked :(

i tested the remote w/ a tester here @ work and it tests fine (ie: putting out a signal)

i tried reprogramming the remote w/ the 2 key trick and it didnt work :(

also tried a newer style remote and that wouldnt program either :(

k0mpresd
08-01-2007, 07:20 AM
c) the remote and car are fine but the car doesn't recognize the remote. replace the battery (no reason not to now) and recode the remote. better yet, start by clearing the 4 slots and key yours into the first position.
can you elaborate on this please?

clearing the 4 slots???

k0mpresd
08-01-2007, 07:30 AM
guess it might also be worth noting that randomly...not very often but it did happen...the remote would just not work....i would have to put the remote in the door, lock and unlock, and then it would work.....the same process as say if you changed the batteries in the remote....

onemoremile
08-01-2007, 07:33 AM
The convenience control module can keep track of 4 remotes. I had an issue when I first got the car and only had one keyfob. I got a couple more from ebay and put new batteries in all three. The two new ones would not program. I got back online and dug up instructions that included clearing the slots. Then all 4 programmed just fine with the two key method.

k0mpresd
08-01-2007, 07:44 AM
i will try this later today and see what happens..thanks ~> http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vw-remote-matching.html

onemoremile
08-01-2007, 08:01 AM
I did it years before seeing a Vag-Com in person. It was one key in the ignition and the other in the door. Some button pushing and left-right action and it was done. It was a bit like the code for Contra. A sequence to wipe the entries out and then another for each key. Each key would need one additional press to put it in the right slot.

onemoremile
08-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Here is the programming sequence. I still haven't found the clearing sequence.

Programming remote unit

- Switch ignition ON.

- Lock vehicle mechanically at left front door using second key.

- Press "Open" button on first remote unit (key fob) once (to assign memory address to remote unit number one).

Note: The alarm horn will sound briefly each time the "Open" button is pressed to confirm the reception of the signal during this process.

- Wait six seconds after sending last signal, then press "Open" button again.

^ Doors will now unlock (remote unit is now programmed).

- Lock vehicle mechanically again using second key.

- Press "Open" button on second remote unit (key fob) twice at 1 second intervals (to assign memory address to remote unit number two).

- Wait six seconds after sending last signal, then press unlock button again.

^ Doors will now unlock (2nd transmitter is now programmed).

- Repeat procedure for additional remote units (key fobs) to assign memory addresses number 3 and 4 if necessary.

- Switch ignition OFF.

- Check each transmitter for proper function

k0mpresd
08-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Here is the programming sequence. I still haven't found the clearing sequence.

Programming remote unit

- Switch ignition ON.

- Lock vehicle mechanically at left front door using second key.

- Press "Open" button on first remote unit (key fob) once (to assign memory address to remote unit number one).

Note: The alarm horn will sound briefly each time the "Open" button is pressed to confirm the reception of the signal during this process.

- Wait six seconds after sending last signal, then press "Open" button again.

^ Doors will now unlock (remote unit is now programmed).
i have already tried this....the alarm horn never sounds :(

kjgarreau
08-01-2007, 08:29 AM

just the remote doesnt do it

windows even roll up/down holding the key in the drivers door

Do all the doors unlock/lock if you use the key in the door? Or just the drivers?

Euro-Tuner
08-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Do all the doors unlock/lock if you use the key in the door? Or just the drivers?

good question...it will only unlock all four (if its working properly) if you twist the key twice in a row...incase you didnt know[rolleyes]

kjgarreau
08-01-2007, 01:45 PM
good question...it will only unlock all four (if its working properly) if you twist the key twice in a row...incase you didnt know[rolleyes]

Yes, I know that. I was asking him if that was the case. If everything unlocks turning it twice, the problem isn't the pump. If only his driver's door unlocks, then it's the pump.

k0mpresd
08-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Yes, I know that. I was asking him if that was the case. If everything unlocks turning it twice, the problem isn't the pump. If only his driver's door unlocks, then it's the pump.

not sure how else to explain it....

mike-2ptzero
08-01-2007, 03:06 PM
if everything is acting normal w/ the key in the door than the module should be fine...

Well the receiver of the module could be bad while still work to lock/unlock the doors with the key in the door and with the lock/unlock button on the driver door.

dj spiel
10-29-2007, 01:55 AM
OMFG!!!! thank you god!

i read these directions just saved me 200 bucks from taking car to audi

thanks!