PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Glass sides

Euro-Tuner
08-01-2007, 05:10 AM
I am in the market for some sideskirts...Im thinking avantgarde, but I am not 100% sure yet...I am thinking of going cheaper and getting fiberglass sides...any problem with that? I have the BAS Rieger front...lemme know your thoughts

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
08-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Personally not a fan of fiberglass.
Although it's repairable; it can't take a lickin. And if you live in cold climates that may suck for the fiberglass as well.

Euro-Tuner
08-01-2007, 06:43 AM
I live in NH, so it get nippy during the winter months...

Can fiber glass reps look as good as the origional (I havent checked any out in person), as long as they are not wavey or shitty looking I think I'll save some money and go with F.G.

capea4
08-01-2007, 11:20 AM
NO,NO,NO,NO...Please dont make the same mistake I did.....I bought my kit at least 5 years ago. Its a siedel kit, I dont remember it being cheap, spent huge mony to get it to fit what I will call OK, and I have to paint the F-ing thing EVERY year. Just did it two months ago and its allready starting to chip. As you might have noticed, Im on Cape Cod mass, so I have sand ALL year, but it still chips sooo easy. A lot of guys on Audiworld told me not to, all those years ago, I'm just too damn hard headed. DONT BE ME...save your money up.

If you have to have it, Ill sell you mine.

A4_2.8tuner
08-01-2007, 11:26 AM
i would try to stay away from fiberglass if possible, like capea4 says, it chips VERY easily. i have a fiberglass front bumper on my car (only material kerscher comes in) and while it fits/looks perfect, it does chip easily, and sideskirts will chip just as bad, being that they're behind the front wheels.

i found those skirts for a very reasonable price in a urethane. PM me for details

Euro-Tuner
08-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I never thought about the chipping aspect...thanks guys, this helps a lot!!!

dmaize
08-01-2007, 09:13 PM
where can i find avantgarde sides? i have been looking for a while.

Das General
08-01-2007, 09:14 PM
I have a fiberglass "Reiger" front end and there is some chipping of the paint. But overall the kit holds up very well, and I bottom out on just about everything.

SoFresh
08-01-2007, 11:16 PM
I have a fiberglass "Reiger" front end and there is some chipping of the paint. But overall the kit holds up very well, and I bottom out on just about everything.

A real Rieger RS4 front is in ABS plastic.... not fiberglass, you have a knockoff....

Euro-Tuner
08-02-2007, 04:50 AM
I think thats why he said "Reiger"

seatown88
08-02-2007, 08:00 AM
fiberglass can be a serious bitch. i would stay away from fiberglass

Das General
08-02-2007, 02:21 PM
A real Rieger RS4 front is in ABS plastic.... not fiberglass, you have a knockoff....

Euro answered it for me

I think thats why he said "Reiger"

fiberglass can be a serious bitch. i would stay away from fiberglass

it's not really the fact that fiberglass is a bitch, it is more so the manufacturers that produce these knock off fiberglass kits...the molds they use are shit because they don't take the proper precautions when making a kit. In most cases the molds are neat cleaned out and have residue (sp?) which cause cracks in the body of the kit. Yes, ABS Plastic is better and easier to work with. However, the bodyshop that I took my kit to did an amazing job on the front end. The ends line up perfectly, not to mention he coated the bumper in polyurethen about 9 times. So the majority (99%) of the cracks were eliminated.

In the end it would have been cheaper for me to get an OEM RS4 bumper though.

azndrunk74
08-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I have fiberglass ABT replica sides and they've held up fine. No cracking, chipping, and I've had them scrape across speedbumps plenty of times. My fiberglass front is a whole different story though, chipping hell.