PDA

View Full Version : Its been a while, going BT Help!

AudiCross
07-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Hello after a long leave of car mods. As of my last paycheck, the money is set aside and the decision has been made. Going BT in january while school isnt in session.

I have 3.6k ish in the bank and more can be cramed in there should it be required. I would love to go with the 280 hp stage 3 kit form apr but 4.5k is stupid expencive. Any ideas on how to put it together reliably and keep the Hp levels around 300ish crank?

Thanks for the help!!!!

Btw, its an 01 A4 B5 1.8TQM with borla exaust, lw FW, clutch, resolator delete, intake mod, and APR tuning 91 oct.

aytheory
07-31-2007, 07:47 PM
won't have enough for that build - best is just to set that money aside and stay on the classifieds for used things and save up parts - get fmic and test pipe, fueling used those things really don't wear out.

As for turbo find someone selling something they were going to build and which they bought new. If you really want to save money then you can go for used turbos.

AudiCross
07-31-2007, 07:53 PM
I can allways put in more and delay it. what i like ab out premade kits is the parts are tested together. i wont run into any parts that dont like eachother. and you believe i need a FMIC before i go BT?

Poopie
07-31-2007, 08:18 PM
for 3.6k you're definantly close since you have mose of the supporting mods.

I would first sell your ecu for cash + stock ecu. i bet you could get like 300 bucks. So you have about 4k to work with. You will need an FMIC. You can go to ebay route for about 300 bucks or the next step up might be a racetec kit for about 800. For a turbo, I would go with a gt28rs from atp. The hardware kit is $2400. All you need now is your choice of tuning. Mika would be the cheapest, but does not have a great reputation for some reason. But that tuning is $800 and it includes injectors and you use your factory maf sensor.

fmic - 800
turbo hardware kit -2400
tuning - 800
adjustable FPR - 120
boost gauge - 50
air filter - 50
boost controler - 50?

that should pretty much get you there. I don't think your motor could handle a very agressive tune or a larger turbo without building the motor. But with this set up you should be in the 280ish whp with good spool up for street use which will exceed your expectations saying close to your budget. I'm just guessing on some of those prices but you can shop around for the best prices and i'm sure you can get set up for 4k. The person to ask is bitterchild. He can come up with a kit thats right for you if you give him a price and a hp goal.

AudiCross
07-31-2007, 08:25 PM
Sweet, thanks. Ya, i know my engine isnt forged like the previous years and it will still be a school/work car so streetable is a must. with a K&N filter and the intake mod, i dont need a new intake setup, will i?or doesnt the kit come with one

Poopie
07-31-2007, 08:35 PM
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-VVW-124&Category_Code=VVWTK

kit doesn't include an airfilter and i doubt your old one will fit. I think you need a 3in ID.

AudiCross
07-31-2007, 08:50 PM
i was looking at that kit and my head hurt! the exaust is onthe wrong side! either thats taken upside down or im on crack

Poopie
07-31-2007, 10:03 PM
hahah don't believe the picture. Its either mirrored or assembled wrong. The components are correct though

AudiCross
08-01-2007, 12:19 PM
haha okay, thanks. I have heard REVO has tuning for this turbo and car combo. would anyone recommend that?

pinky
08-01-2007, 12:33 PM
yeah.. revo or unitronic.. a lot of the BT guys on vwvortex have had good reviews of the unitronic software

as far as that ATP kit, it is pictured upside-down.. look at the line that says "to oil pan".. it should go straight down. just rotate the pic 180 degrees..

AudiCross
08-01-2007, 12:41 PM
oo i jsut looked at unitronics site adn they seem pretty good. anyone know if theere is a dealer of thedir in teh sacramento/carmichel/folsom CA area?

Poopie
08-02-2007, 09:54 AM
People have good luck with uni. Like all tunes there are a few kinks you need to iron out. With uni you will also need a vr6 maf housing so add that to the list along with 440cc injectors. I recommend the genesis injectors for the best spray pattern. I think they are rated 415cc and you need a harness adapter. Someone correct me if i'm wrong

pinky
08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
unitronic file is injector specific. if you plan on upgrading/expanding your setup for more power, go with 630ccs and the 630 file.. i've heard that the 630 file is the bomb.

they have dealers listed on their site (click here) (http://www.unitronic.ca/uni/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=28&Itemid=26) but i dont see any listed for that area. i'm pretty sure all of the BT stuff is a solder-in chip (stock turbo files are obd2 loaded), so you might just want to contact unitronic directly (i suggest the phone, they're hit-or-miss with email) or i can get you what you need, but you will have to send your ecu off to have the chip installed.

Rosati
08-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Forget buying new, Once you get used to the power , youll want to upgrade anyway and start building your engine, like me hah.

AudiCross
08-02-2007, 12:22 PM
i am looking for around 300 crank HP. if i go with the 630cc injectors, will i be able to get the tune for that hp rating and not have any issues? what injectors would be the correct size gor 300 ish crank hp becuase i know 630cc's are much overdone for 300

pinky
08-02-2007, 01:34 PM
440s will get you right around 340-350 crank (300whp on a fwd) when you are almost maxing out he injectors

Revo has a 440cc BT file as well as a 550cc BT file. both work well with genesis injectors (for the 440s run 415s at 3.5bar, i think is what they suggested). a lot of people complain about the idle with the revo 440 file, but i strongly believe that is caused by them running the bosch greentop 440cc injectors... a good friend of mine had a bunch of idle problems with the revo BT file that went away when he switched to some other injector (siemens or genesis or something).

like i said, if you ever plan on upgrading or something (or want more power down the road) i would go with something larger than a 440. unitronic does have a 440 file also, but it seems like the 630 file is a lot more refined, if that makes sense. one of my friends (same guy mentioned above) has the revo 550 on his car and is switching over to the unitronic file... hopefully he'll get his ecu back soon and we can go test out his new software :)

i really think that if you are seriously considering unitronic software, call them up and talk to them about your setup/goals/etc.

you can also run the genesis 415cc injectors at 3.5 bar and that works out to (roughly) the same as a 440. as stated before, this is probably your best bet if you're set on 440cc software

AudiCross
08-02-2007, 09:32 PM
what kind of power will the 380cc file give me? and can i have a larger injector than the file and it not get confused and run bad?

pinky
08-03-2007, 07:18 AM
the software will adapt some, but i would run the same injector size that the file calls for. it will only dump as much fuel as you need, based on maf and map readings.

AudiCross
08-03-2007, 12:46 PM
okay thanks. i was just at 2bennett getting a new MAF and that guy ranted for 20 minutes on how i should go with their kit rather than piecing it together

AudiCross
08-04-2007, 06:24 PM
well ran into some unfortunate knowledge. i originally planned on putting the BT in with the stock SMIC htinking i wouldnt be too hard on it until i got FMIC but i hear now that it really should go the other way. and i also realize itll be realy hard to put in a FMIC wiht the stock bumper, if have to cut it upo which i dont wanna do, but getting a S4 bumper painted could be a real pain inteh u know what

pinky
08-04-2007, 10:06 PM
yeah, you should do the fmic first. do you have an exhaust?

edit:
yeah i just reread your first post and it says you have a borla. do the intercooler

AudiCross
08-05-2007, 08:51 AM
okay, thanks. if thre a certain size core i shouldnt go less concidering ill be going BT? im debating on peicin it together or buying one. their just so dman expencive to buy, the cheepest ive found is lie 900 ish