PDA

View Full Version : Engine click sound? (video )

biketsai
07-31-2007, 04:48 PM
My 1.8T seems like it clicks or something at idle, and i guess when it drives too.
The sound gets pretty loud near the firewall. could it be cuz its quattro?
Is this normal?
http://www.youtube.com/v/B7UCeRA8oJU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7UCeRA8oJU

biketsai
07-31-2007, 04:50 PM
that link should work

Ado
07-31-2007, 04:52 PM
your video is not working.

the clicking sound might be the valve that is near the airbox. when dose this happen.

biketsai
07-31-2007, 04:57 PM
It seems liek it is always there. but i guess i notice mostly when i am against a wall or in my garage.

Ado
07-31-2007, 05:08 PM
that sound like the the valve that i was talking about. the Purge valve.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi/?html=learnmore.html&productID=6114

look for it under your hood. its obove the airbox. in the link above it shows you what it looks like. so next time when you hear that come out and put you hand over that valve and you can fell it working.

at least thats what i think the problem is.

biketsai
07-31-2007, 05:29 PM
i just checked that, it wasnt that.
It sounds like it is coming around the area where my cat is

FrancoTheTanko
07-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Mine used to tick also. After first getting the car I put 0w30 Mobile 1 in and it only ticked at idle. I put STP oil treatment in and it went away, although it now ticks again only when I start the car. It might be time for another oil change with thicker oil.

FrancoTheTanko
07-31-2007, 05:46 PM
It did sound like it was coming from behind/inside the block.

biketsai
07-31-2007, 06:53 PM
what would that be
?

bellofello
07-31-2007, 06:55 PM
isn't that lifter tap?

I'm not too sure but my 30V is starting to do it, might try an oil treatment or seafoam. It was REALLY bad one time but went away after a bit.

TMorris
07-31-2007, 07:23 PM
I have a clicking noise that gets faster as i accelerate then fades away once im crusing. I always thought it was my ERG valve since mine is faulty and i read in a book that a faulty valve causes a clicking noise.

biketsai
07-31-2007, 08:52 PM
any suggesttions?

marcini
08-01-2007, 05:20 AM
this is the EGR valve, and it's perfectly normal for it to click

$teady$upreme
08-07-2007, 11:25 PM
I have a similar clicking noise and i was thinking about either the injectors and valve.

I changed to another set of injectors and it is still clicking.

TMorris
08-07-2007, 11:53 PM

What is it that makes it click? When i scan with VAG my CEL is due to insufficent flow from the EGR and in a troubleshooting guide it said that noise could be due to that. I also get a louder clicking while driving in reverse uphill. I need to clean out the valve but im just talking since this thread is active

speedydragon
08-08-2007, 01:32 AM
damn that vid is pretty dark lol

MultiAudis
08-08-2007, 09:45 AM

This is what I have been told by numerous vets on the forum. The clicking is normal, and I believe should only persist during cold starts. Should go away after the engine reaches running temperature (mine does).

bellofello
08-08-2007, 10:18 AM
Mine doesn't so I'm thinking it's lifter noise from dirt in there or something, I'm gonna try an oil treatment and see what happens, because occasionally it gets REALLY loud and it freaks me out lol.

Militant-Grunt
08-08-2007, 10:33 AM
They're your lifters, how many miles you have on the car and how often do you change the oil? Chances are you have to replace the oil pump, it gets clogged with sludge.

bellofello
08-08-2007, 12:25 PM
I have 160,000kms so roughly 100,000 miles. I change every 5000kms (so like 3000 miles) with 5w30 synthetic.

A4Andrew
08-08-2007, 12:42 PM
If it ticks after warmup at idle then it's your lifters. Mine did that for 4 years. Fresh oil change helps a little, but finally did seaform and AutoRX treatment and went away completely.

Militant-Grunt
08-08-2007, 12:53 PM
If it ticks after warmup at idle then it's your lifters. Mine did that for 4 years. Fresh oil change helps a little, but finally did seaform and AutoRX treatment and went away completely.

That helps a little bit, I actually used a sludge treatment (which I wouldn't recommend because I could smell sludge for a long long time after the treatment) I flushed the engine 3 times with shitty oil, which went in gold and came out pitch black/ brown, did it until the oil kept on coming out the same color it went it. But most people rather replace the pump. (Which is a major PITA)

sjthomas
08-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Might it also be the cam chain on worn guides?

I have a similar noise at 80k miles, and that's what I was thinking it was. Different oil weights didn't help mine.

capea4
08-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Maybe I should keep my mouth shut but, in my opinion, there is no way in hell thats lifters. After that comment, I have no idea what it could be. I'm sorry.

Rons01B5
08-08-2007, 03:41 PM
ever replace the cam chain tensioner? 2001's are notorious for that.

bellofello
08-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Maybe I should keep my mouth shut but, in my opinion, there is no way in hell thats lifters. After that comment, I have no idea what it could be. I'm sorry.

I'm sure mine is lifters, every tech I've talked to says it's lifter tap, and from my experience in the shop I'd say so to, not too sure about his, but mine defiantly is.

$teady$upreme
08-08-2007, 08:02 PM
I guess we should both try either seafoam or some sort of engine cleaning products. Im quite sure my clicking is from lifters as well~

I'm sure mine is lifters, every tech I've talked to says it's lifter tap, and from my experience in the shop I'd say so to, not too sure about his, but mine defiantly is.

onemoremile
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM

My car made that noise and a can of Seafoam in the crankcase silenced it completely. I put it in and changed the oil after the noise went away. It came back 25k miles later and another treatment fixed it again.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/McGrawHill/Encyclopedia/images/CE327200FG0010.gif
http://www.answers.com/topic/hydraulic-valve-lifter?cat=technology
"A device that eliminates the need for mechanical clearance in the valve train of internal combustion engines. Clearance is normally required to prevent the valve's being held open and destroyed as the valve train undergoes thermal expansion. However, clearance requires frequent adjustment and is responsible for much operating noise. The hydraulic lifter is a telescoping compression strut in the linkage between cam and valve, consisting of a piston and cylinder (see illustration). When no opening load exists, a weak spring moves the piston, extending the strut and eliminating any clearance. This action sucks oil into the cylinder past a check valve. The trapped oil transmits the valve-opening forces with little deflection. A slight leakage of oil during lift shortens the strut, assuring valve closure. The leakage oil is replaced as the spring again extends the strut at no load. See also Valve train."

Hydraulic lifters use a spring and hydraulic pressure to stay in contact with the cam and valve. If they become bound up they slap against the cam lobe and make that ticking noise. Don't get scared and start thinking you need a new oil pump or anything so severe. My car has done this more than once and I started thinking along the same lines. When rebuilding the engine (forged rods and whatnot) I replaced the oil pump just to be sure. The stock pump had 113k miles on it and was in perfect condition including a clean screen on the oil pickup.

Militant-Grunt
08-09-2007, 12:40 PM
I have 160,000kms so roughly 100,000 miles. I change every 5000kms (so like 3000 miles) with 5w30 synthetic.

Try putting in 5w 40 synthetic, whenever I had 5w30 it would tap, while with 5w40 it would be good for 2000 or so miles and then the tapping would start again. I did the oil treatment and now I'm running Royal Purple 20w 50 and seem to be fine.

capea4
08-09-2007, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=onemoremile;1821016]My car made that noise and a can of Seafoam in the crankcase silenced it completely. I put it in and changed the oil after the noise went away. It came back 25k miles later and another treatment fixed it again.QUOTE]

I understand the whole lifter tick issue. In my own opinion, the noise in that video sounds much worse than lifter tick. Then again it could be lifter knock.

onemoremile
08-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Mine went from the sewing machine noise to the diesel noise to what almost sounded like real damage. It just depends on how stuck the lifter is. The more it gets squashed the more noise it makes. You can't go wrong with a cheap can of Seafoam. If the noise persists after a week then take further action. If not then your problems are solved. You can guess all you want but you'll never know until you do something. If you tear into the engine looking for a big problem and it could have been fixed for 6 bucks you'll feel terrible. That much I know. Try the cheap and easy first.