PDA

View Full Version : a couple of random questions(subwoofer enclosures, airbox)

4ringAR
07-30-2007, 12:03 PM
for those that have made custom subwoofer enclosures in the side panel of the trunk, where did you bolt it down to?? or it seems like even though it is custom molded, it would move around a bit. pictures are good too.[up]

what filter do you guys recommend for the stock airbox? i know k&n is good, but i heard the oil messes up the MAF. does putting in a different filter make it louder?
this (http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=1&PEI=2&PP=a4_18t_drivetrain.cfm&PPT=Drivetrain&IL=ITGFilter) one looks good(and i know AWE knows their stuff) but it too uses oil.

swiss cheese + aftermarket DV = BOV sound? or no?[confused]

sorry if some of this has been covered. i searched, but didnt find any definitive answers

edit: one more question: what size(H3? H7?) are the fog light bulbs on the prefacelift(where they are built into the headlights)? edit 2: nevermind, they are h1.

onemoremile
07-30-2007, 12:59 PM
I've done a few fiberglass enclosures and there are a few tricks you can use. My favorite is to strip everything right down so I can get to some bare metal. Then that is taped over with draft angles in mind. Draft angles are slight angles with no underhangs so that the enclosure is removable. After it is taped I lay down a few layers of fiberglass with maybe a layer or two of kevlar in there for strength. Between those layers are a few Neodymium magnets that hold through the glass to the metal framework in the rear fender cavity. Those and a little friction are more than enough to keep it in place.

For really secure installs I've run a single carriage bolt through some steel support and use a big wingnut with a lock washer. The driver has to be removed to get access to it. It really isn't worth the hassle since the magnet trick works so well. Most installs have been such good fits that they weren't even needed. A thin layer of carpet and the enclosure barely presses back into place.

My old Jetta did nearly 300k miles on a single K&N drop-in filter. The problem is that when people clean the filter they don't let it dry thoroughly and then put too much oil on it. I let it dry overnight and only use a fine spray of that oil and it has always worked well.

4ringAR
07-30-2007, 09:29 PM
thanks! thats quite helpful!

bump for my other questions.