PDA

View Full Version : another headlight question- s4, a4, etc

djxtreme
07-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi everybody,
my car came with the ebay halo projectors and fenders cut accordingly.
my vvme.com h7 kit is on the way from the wrong address they mailed them to.
i plan on, obviously, installing the h7's as my low beams. however, after thinking about it, i am not sure if the h7's will fit in these headlights as they do oem models. right now, the bulbs in them are h1.
should they still fit? has anyone put xenons into these headlights? ie are the lenses far enough away from the bulb? the halos, in current auctions, are not saying whether they are hid-compatible or not.

IF i decide to go another route for headlights, getting a set of oem ones from a junkyard to put my h7 hid conversion kit in... what should i be looking at? i can not figure out the difference/if there is one between the s4 headlights, 99.5+ a4 headlights, b6 headlights, etc. i have a 98.5 avant that had stock 2-piece halogens. what will fit? what looks like what (pics would be great)? i planned on just asking the junkyard for the HOUSINGS of whatever lights I choose. that is all i need, since i have the hid kit, correct?
thanks so much in advance.

Jereme
07-30-2007, 10:45 AM
I dont see why they wouldnt fit in the halos....but Im not 100% sure. All i know is my car came with halos and they VERY VERY cheap and it wouldnt surprise me if they got to hot and started to melt fromt he HID kit.

The 99+ have the one piece headlights and they're just about identical to the b5 s4 models.

B6 headlights WONT fit. If I were you I would keep an eye open for a set of used one piece headlights around here or audiforums.com. Or go on ebay and pick yourself up a set up the 2 piece depo headlights. I have the 2 piece depos and they work really well with my HID kit.

Tiluleshpingen
07-30-2007, 10:51 AM
I dont see why they wouldnt fit in the halos....but Im not 100% sure. All i know is my car came with halos and they VERY VERY cheap and it wouldnt surprise me if they got to hot and started to melt fromt he HID kit.

The 99+ have the one piece headlights and they're just about identical to the b5 s4 models.

B6 headlights WONT fit. If I were you I would keep an eye open for a set of used one piece headlights around here or audiforums.com. Or go on ebay and pick yourself up a set up the 2 piece depo headlights. I have the 2 piece depos and they work really well with my HID kit.

uuff [rolleyes] when i had the ebay halos on my a4 , they melted the blinker light tabs and the bulbs were h1.. imagine what HID could do the lense now .. just save some cash and buy S4 xenons.. thera bit expensive but.. ITS WORTH IT

Jereme
07-30-2007, 11:00 AM
yeah def, one thing Ive learned since I've owned this car is that its better to wait then to cheap out in the 1st place...

djxtreme
07-31-2007, 08:46 AM
Thanks guys.
However, I completely agree with you, and never DID "buy cheap in the first place". my car came with the ebay lights.
Now, the lights are terrible and I can not see anything. i am going through bulbs a lot with these projectors....
I have my stock 2-piece, but since they are not projectors, HIDs will not fly in those, correct? using them is not really an option since my fenders have been cut alreadyl
I have yet to have my question really answered. so 99+ a4 projectors are the same as s4 projectors, which are the same as depos, etc? pretty much any headlight from 99-01 will work in my car - s4 or a4? so i can just find a set of halogen projectors from a 99?
i am not extremely concerned about them looking the nicest, which in headlights seems to =money. so, my best value (least expensive while maintaining functionality) would be 99 a4 halogen projectors. am i correct? if so, is this a common item? I don't know why it would be, because people with these would just keep them and convert to HID, right?
thanks!

Wilco
07-31-2007, 11:49 AM
The 1-piece housings are manufactured by Valeo and are exactly the same for all B5 A4s and S4s after 1999.5.

You should be fine with halogen housings. The xenon housings have a mounting place for the OEM ballasts and are designed to accommodate the standard OEM D2S bulbs. They also have a slightly different cutoff shield inside the projectors and come with auto-leveling motors (which are useless unless your car is prewired for them).

I'd keep your eyes out for them in the AZ classifieds, on eBay, and even at your local salvage yard (they tend to go pretty fast there though).

djxtreme
07-31-2007, 12:31 PM
thanks a lot. that helps a lot. i just took out my ebay projectors and put in my stock halogens. maybe i'll be able to see at night, now.
is there any way i can put my hid kit in these non-projector heeadlights? any use in doing so?
i have called my junkyards, $175 a side for those housings! wow.
why would anyone sell their housings, then? if they are all the same, what are people with 99.5's upgrading to?
i assume no one wants to buy the ebay projectors nor the stock 2-piece.
oh, and is there a clear corner mod for 2-piece, in the mean time, until i figure this nonsense out? actually, maybe i'll lightls paint the orange triangle black....

thanks for answering all of these.

Wilco
07-31-2007, 03:06 PM
It's possible to put xenon bulbs into your non-projector housings, but it's not recommended. Without a projector, you won't have an effective cutoff which means you'll be blinding any oncoming traffic (illegal in most states as well).

You could probably get away with it for a couple weeks, but you would probably get flashed every time you went out at night and eventually would get a ticket. IMO it's not worth the trouble.

AnthraciteA4
08-28-2007, 02:56 PM
thanks a lot. that helps a lot. i just took out my ebay projectors and put in my stock halogens. maybe i'll be able to see at night, now.
is there any way i can put my hid kit in these non-projector heeadlights? any use in doing so?
i have called my junkyards, $175 a side for those housings! wow.
why would anyone sell their housings, then? if they are all the same, what are people with 99.5's upgrading to?
i assume no one wants to buy the ebay projectors nor the stock 2-piece.
oh, and is there a clear corner mod for 2-piece, in the mean time, until i figure this nonsense out? actually, maybe i'll lightls paint the orange triangle black....

thanks for answering all of these.

People with 99.5's are upgrading to ecode housings, also made by Valeo, they have clear corners and provide better light. As far as the 2 piece headlights, you can buy just the clear corners from eBay for reasonably cheap.

sixfiveoh
08-28-2007, 03:01 PM
I got a good deal on my ecodes w/ HIDs, they were still expensive, but worth every penny IMO.

europshhrc279
08-28-2007, 05:59 PM
i should be getting my ecodes thursday! im excited. I had the stock 1 piece halogen projectors. The thing with 1 piece projectors is that they dont light up shit! or at least thats how it feels to me. I looks so dim. even with HIDs. Try and find ecodes for a good price.I havnt had first experience on them yet but thrusday il let you know. Im sure theyre gonna light up the road much more crisp than my stock 1 piece did.