PDA

View Full Version : how much does a thermostat cost?

dingguhlbary
07-30-2007, 01:09 AM
im talking to this one guy about a 97 1.8t, and he says the thermostat needs to be changed. plus the car has been sitting for two months. what should i be looking for in a car thats been sitting for a while?

and how much is this thermo hes talking about? thanks in advance guys

DGAFxxx
07-30-2007, 06:06 AM
thermostat should be less than 10 bucks.

pinky
07-30-2007, 07:31 AM
if you're not gonna change it yourself, most of the cost is labor. like said above, the actual part is cheap

Kyle H
07-30-2007, 08:29 AM
It's actually really easy to get to, you just will have to drain your coolant to change it.

Mike@PureMS
07-30-2007, 09:09 AM
We have these available here.
Behr Thermostat (http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=1073)

Poopie
07-30-2007, 09:17 AM
I think they are a bitch to get at. you should do a timing belt if its not documented that it was done. that way you can take care of a lot of preventative maintence while you are in there

Kyle H
07-30-2007, 09:40 AM
I did mine when I did my timing belt, actually. I don't remember if you have to get inside the water pump to get it out, I don't think so though.

iin10ded
07-30-2007, 04:14 PM
it's not as easy as it should be [on a 1.8] to get to but it's not terrible either. im sure tehre are writeups if you search [search for the timing belt r+r since the water pump is covered tehre] there is a support bracket for.. the alternator i think that you have to remove. i dont' recall exactly but you can undo one bolt, loosen 1 bolt and swing it out of the way.

you'll have to drain the coolant since the tstat is on the bottom of the water pump housing. drain it at the lower radiator connection.

the housing is held in w/ 2 bolts, the PITA is holding the thermostat and oring aligned inside the housing with some kind of anti-gravity device while trying to wiggle the cover in place. the cover only fits in 1 way due to limited clearance. it took me several tries but i got it eventually.

dingguhlbary
07-30-2007, 08:57 PM
sounds like a big pita. how long should something like this take? in case i want to pay my moms mechanic to do it
and also

what should i be looking for in used a4s? like anything to watch out for or something like that? thanks a lot for the other responses to the thermo

StreetUrchin
07-30-2007, 10:02 PM
I just had this done today coincidently. Ran me $113 with labor.

I think he said it was ~1/2 hour for labor? But it must have been more cause he damn sure ain't $200/hour

iin10ded
07-30-2007, 11:08 PM
yikes, must have been m+m audi? they are good but $$$$$$.

it took me an hour. it's not bad - no special tools just a little patience and the willingness to get dirty. oh and a taste for coolant doesn't hurt. if i haad to shell out 90-110 / hr labor everytime something glitched out, man i'd REALLY be broke.