PDA

View Full Version : 98 avant wiper problems

calitri808
07-30-2007, 12:46 AM
on my girlfriends avant, when we try to use the front wipers, intermittent doenst work, low doesnt work, but high works fine. then when i try to switch it to the off position it stops where ever it is on the windshield. at first i was thinking it was like a intermittent relay/ or a blown resistor but after running it on high for say 5mins, low will work but stutter across the windshield. after say 1 more minute everything will work normally UNTIL i turn off the wipers for 1min. i go to try and turn it on and same thing over again.

i swapped the wiper relay from my brothers 99 passat to her avant and visa versa and its not the relay. i also followed a wiring diagram and noticed that theres a small intermittent relay somewhere, and i have a feeling that it might be the wiper switch on the column. same story with the rear wiper, itll pause/stutter. long story short, anyone have this problem? all help is greatly appreciated.
calitri808 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

pinky
07-30-2007, 07:34 AM
sounds like a relay.

calitri808
07-30-2007, 10:51 PM
sounds like a relay.

i took the relay from my GF's avant, and put it in my brothers passat wagon. wipers worked normally in his passat. i took the relay from his passat and put it in her avant and same problem. does anyone know where the intermitten regulator is? i want to bench test that first before i go and buy a wiper switch. thanks

kenncmiller
07-31-2007, 07:42 AM
That is a common problem. My 99.5 does something similar too. I have seen rear wiper rebuld kits online and also if you do a search you find how to fix/clean it yourself. I think it is in the DIY or FAQ here or on the fortitude board