PDA

View Full Version : About To Purchase A 99 A4 1.8t Quattro Manual, Is Price Tooo Cheap???

widebody99a4
07-29-2007, 09:54 AM
Hey guys (and girls) I am about to switch from my widebody honda and purchase a 99 a4 1.8t and hook it up. I will be sending the dealer $1000 deposit because I want to jump on the deal. The car is in Miami and I am in Tampa, so I will not get to see the car in person (crazy work schedule). From the pics the car looks great, It has spotless black exterior and very clean leather interior, it also has 18's and new tires. It has 120,000 miles and the dealer only wants $3,999.!!! My question: is there anything specific I should look for when I finally do get to see the car in person, and should I ask the dealer about anything in particular about the car?? I have heard these are notorious for control arm probs and some have even said tranny probs. Is this true, and would the control arms have HAD to be changed with 120,000 miles on the car? Am I just being nervous because of the price, or is this truely just a great deal. Any and all info will be greatly apprciated. THANKS

Poopie
07-29-2007, 10:14 AM
sounds sketchy to me. i would check out the car before buying. Even though its so cheap, replacing parts gets expensive fast.

Insel Fohrer
07-29-2007, 10:26 AM
That Price seems very low! I would def be careful and get it checked out thourghly. If all cheks out that's a great deal. Good Luck!

widebody99a4
07-29-2007, 11:23 AM
I know it would be wise/smart to get it checked BEFORE I buy but that's not an aption. I am thinking (almost positive) Ill be sending the money and dealing with things afterwards. I just don't want somebody else to get this deal. The dealer assures me that the car runs and drives fine and will make it to Tampa no probs, but you know how dealers are; they all say that!! As I asked before, because the car already has 120,000 miles wouldn't it be possible that I would have avoided common probs/defects with the car. I.E all those would have been corrected fixed already?? Please help guys, I don't want to spend $4,000 on a car and have to spend another $4,000 or so to make it right.

Poopie
07-29-2007, 12:00 PM
at that price there is probably no documented service. Be sure you do a timing belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioner, cam chain tensioner and control arms. Also be prepared to do some wheel bearings.

widebody99a4
07-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks. I didn't think I would have to do t belt till like 140,000 or so and bearings and control arms for a while!! This car is starting to scare me a lil. Is there anybody in the Hollywood or Miami area that would consider doing a test drive/visual inspection for me. I won't be able to get to the car till saturday, and don't want someone else to buy the car before then. I know its asking alot (for someone to check it out) but I'd be willing to pay $50-100 if anyone was able to. THANKS guys

speedydragon
07-29-2007, 12:37 PM
we have to change the t-belt on our cars every 60k-75k miles, as well as the water pump,thermostat, tensioner, and cam chain ten.

woofster
07-29-2007, 02:37 PM
It would be a good idea to check out the average price for A4s in your area, then budget that much money for your purchase. While good deals can always be found for any type of car, if you find one that's super cheap, it would be wise to figure that you'll be spending the extra money to bring that car "up to speed" to one that's higher-priced from the start.

emeralda4
08-01-2007, 03:27 PM
It may be wiser to find another car that might cost a few thousand more but will have all the service records and already have the timing belt, water pump,thermostat, tensioner, and cam chain ten replaced, because it will most likely cost you less down the road and you wont have to worry how the car has been maintained

OsloStateOfMind
08-03-2007, 08:55 AM
i've seen lots of a4's listed at that price,its almost always a scam..be careful

tomustang
08-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Please help guys, I don't want to spend $4,000 on a car and have to spend another $4,000 or so to make it right.

You might end up doing it anyway:
timing change, control arms, radio, locking pump, drivetrain.. it's got 120K on it, it's known to have problems down the road

curbdawg
08-28-2007, 01:39 PM
at that price there is probably no documented service. Be sure you do a timing belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioner, cam chain tensioner and control arms. Also be prepared to do some wheel bearings.

I just did all that including TRE's( Tre's and control arms myself) at my local garage and talk about spending some $$. If it seems to drive fine with no noises than at least have them or someone replace the timing belt and tensioner