PDA

View Full Version : low budget suspension upgrades for 99 A4 Avant 1.8tQm?

jws
07-27-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm looking for recommends. Currently, I am running the stock setup with 15"wheels, just added APR chip, and now I am noticing more body roll, squat (love the chip), and dive. 75K on the stock setup.

It is a family wagon as well as being my midlife crisis therapy vehicle. I appreciate the ride quality, and don't want to sacrifice much, if any ride quality or noise level. It will be run up into the mountains, so I don't want to lower it much. At this time, I don't see myself autoxing......My family comes first, so by necessity, the Avant is a low budget operation. My approach is that as wear and tear parts need replacement - I am upgrading (hmm, that doesn't really explain the chip--oh well)

I would like to improve body roll, squat, dive, and reduce understeer, all without compromising ride quality -- Is that too much to ask? What is the most cost-effective solution?
jws

jeremy@matrix
08-09-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm looking for recommends. Currently, I am running the stock setup with 15"wheels, just added APR chip, and now I am noticing more body roll, squat (love the chip), and dive. 75K on the stock setup.

It is a family wagon as well as being my midlife crisis therapy vehicle. I appreciate the ride quality, and don't want to sacrifice much, if any ride quality or noise level. It will be run up into the mountains, so I don't want to lower it much. At this time, I don't see myself autoxing......My family comes first, so by necessity, the Avant is a low budget operation. My approach is that as wear and tear parts need replacement - I am upgrading (hmm, that doesn't really explain the chip--oh well)

I would like to improve body roll, squat, dive, and reduce understeer, all without compromising ride quality -- Is that too much to ask? What is the most cost-effective solution?
jws

Hey JWS,

Bang for the buck, I'd recommend STaSIS' StreetSport coilovers. You could go with aftermarket dampers/springs but the stance may not be to your liking and you'd be stuck, unable to change it. With coilovers you can.

STaSIS StreetSport coilover kit for B5 A4Q; 4 KONI sport dampers; single adjustable (rebound), narrow band; suspension disassembly required for adjustment; silver chromate plated threaded steel damper bodies; height adjustable; 4 progressive rate KONI springs (400lb. front /390lb. rear spring rate); balanced and adjusted on SPA damper dynamometer
$1095 + s/h

http://www.stasisengineering.com/Admin/MainImage/SSsuspmain.jpg

Here's a testimonial from a B5 client on this setup;
"Prior to having this suspension setup, I used to run H&R ultras which were cool if you wanted to slam your car lower than any other suspension. However, the H&R coilovers provided a very stiff ride w/o dampening adjustability. Regardless, the H&Rs went bad and it was time to replace them. After attending a Matrix Tech Day, and numerous conversations with Jeremy, I decided to go with the STaSIS setup. I have had the suspension for a month now, and am VERY HAPPY with it. The following are just a few reasons I am so satisfied with this product:

1.) Ride comfort very close to OEM
2.) Unbelievable handling - I don't take my car to the track, but have heard many people running this suspension setup on the track with great results.
3.) Provides dampening adjustability
4.) Provides ride height adjustability
5.) Great price

Best regards,
Dima"

LMK how we can help.

jws
08-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks Jeremy,
I appreciate the details. What do you recommend as far as sway bars? Someone recommended upgrading the rear sway bar to help the cause. Will this help with understeer (if so how does this work), turn in??
Thanks,
jws

jeremy@matrix
08-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks Jeremy,
I appreciate the details. What do you recommend as far as sway bars? Someone recommended upgrading the rear sway bar to help the cause. Will this help with understeer (if so how does this work), turn in??
Thanks,
jws

You're very welcome.

I'd recommend doing susp and then maybe looking into sways. Some think the susp is enough. You could either do a larger rear bar or a larger set (front and rear) like HSport offers. Don't use just a larger front bar. By using a larger rear bar, essentially you're tightening up the rear suspension which will help reduce understeer, help with turn-in. By using just a larger front bar, you can induce more understeer.

Gondi Stylez
08-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Vogtland GT's are great too!

Pair that with the OEM RS4 Rear Sway and your good to go!

HIERLEVELZ
08-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Vogtland springs on Bilstein Sports with upgraded rear sway. Thats low budget.