PDA

View Full Version : i think i have a vehicle in limp mode. little help

Shortness
07-17-2007, 11:13 AM
an 01 Jetta 1.8t we sold about 5 months ago had an oil pump failure. luckily it was caught quickly and no damage had been done and all it needed was a new oil pump. but now it seems to be having turbo issues, (loss of power, turbo not spooling) and i suspect that the car is in limp mode. do you guys think thats the problem, how can you tell for sure, and how do you reset it if it is in limp mode?

Ewok_Fetus
07-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Do you have a check engine light on? If so, get it scanned and that code should help us figure out what the problem may be... Could be one of the following though if you are in limp....

MAF
Coil pack
or anything that could cause you to have a misfire or run in a lean condition.

Euro-Tuner
07-17-2007, 11:43 AM
throw a boost gauge on it. that will work wonders for dianosing the problem....it doesnt have to be perminent, barrow one and put it on in a temporary location just to take it out for 1 run.

any mods to it? limp mode is hard to hit without atleast a chip

Shortness
07-17-2007, 11:49 AM
its a customers car, its stock. as far as i know, there is no cel. wouldnt an oil system failure cause a limp?

Ewok_Fetus
07-17-2007, 11:50 AM
limp mode is hard to hit without atleast a chip

Not really, this seems to be the only time my 2001 ever hit limp mode is when I was almost completely stock... It was due to a bad maf and coilpack... No chip or anything...

Ewok_Fetus
07-17-2007, 11:52 AM
its a customers car, its stock. as far as i know, there is no cel. wouldnt an oil system failure cause a limp?

No, like I stated above, the only real things that will cause limp is running lean or a misfire... If you run too lean you can blow your motor... Causes stuff to melt down internally, but that is a worse case scenario... And with a misfire, it will put it into limp mode to save the cat... If you get unburned fuel into the cat, it will eventually burn off and cause higher cat temps and possibly melt it down... Those are your two main reasons for limp...

Shortness
07-17-2007, 11:59 AM
so im most likely looking at a bad turbo?

Ewok_Fetus
07-17-2007, 12:01 PM
so im most likely looking at a bad turbo?

Or a massive boost leak...

Shortness
07-17-2007, 12:03 PM
could driving for a mile on a bad oil pump burn out the turbo, that seem very quick to me

Ewok_Fetus
07-17-2007, 12:08 PM
could driving for a mile on a bad oil pump burn out the turbo, that seem very quick to me

Possibly if it was overheating and under full boost... Or the oil pump could have been bad for longer than you thought... The oil pressure light is meant to come on at like 10psi, so say you are driving long with everything up to speed except for your oil pump, it is possible but unlikely that you could have starved it for oil...

Shortness
07-17-2007, 12:20 PM
thats pretty much what i though.

another question: will driving with a burnt turbo cause any other problems, i dont see why it would, but id like to know. she is planning on driving the car until she can get it fixed

Rico750
07-17-2007, 09:47 PM
Or a massive boost leak...

that was my thought.. had it on my car before..

Tifun
07-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Change that nj75 or what ever the hell it is called. We did that on a VW and limp was gone. Try a friends out to see if it helps.