PDA

View Full Version : ATP mani or stock Mani????

gotaudi
07-14-2007, 10:20 PM
which one would yield best performance? would one be better over the other? right now I have the ATP mani but want to go with the stock mani if it is worth the trouble(I have the cat disconnected already for the HFC ). so what do you guys say, let me know your opinions on the subject?

thank you

BranCKY3
07-14-2007, 11:18 PM
I believe the ATP mani gives some gains up top, but suffers down low because spool time is increased a little.

gotaudi
07-14-2007, 11:23 PM
how much gain up top? is the offset worth the slight worse spool? I drive 90% in the city and I want a better spool for the street.

Tiluleshpingen
07-14-2007, 11:34 PM
Atp Manifolds Crack!! From Hard Shifting .... If u can Get Some Braceses To Hold It In Place Then Ur Ok.. I Think A Member In The Forum Has Done It

gotaudi
07-14-2007, 11:43 PM
I think the stock mani will crack to. the GTRS weights a ton over the stock K03. plus the heat is a little more than stock. that is a good point I dont want the mani to crack. I just think that a quicker spool with the stock mani would be better.

Tiluleshpingen
07-14-2007, 11:50 PM
^^^^ stock mani would not crack i beleive cuz its cast iron

aytheory
07-14-2007, 11:51 PM
IIRC - i asked that question too - and stock mani makes the turbo spool up faster and you get a tad bit better low end. But using the stock mani would also require you to turn down boost because it can't flow fast enough. Ctapp said I can boost at 20 psi with stock mani - and atp you can run 22 and up. Once again depends where you do most of your driving if it is going to be a daily driver might as well stick with stock.

On a side note:
I am sure you are a pro now with the gt28rs install - I need your help soon with my install. I am missing the tune only now. Waiting in the mail for atp manfiold, gtrs oil line from axis and gasket. Also got to order some Nord - Lock washer - if you want some pm me because I am placing an order on Sunday and shipping is 8 freaking dollars for some washers - might as well get you some too. Not sure if you read up on it but Nord Lock washer keep things from moving and backing out i.e. the turbo and the manifold. Also the gtrs doesn't mount on the the stock bracket so it moves like crazy. These babies bite.

http://www.rondelle.biz/silverbrick.gif

gotaudi
07-15-2007, 12:41 AM
yeah I will help... I am installing a HFC today i took out my test pipe in about 30min.... that is a new record for me.

yeah pick me up a few washers, you cant find any local? I would think here in socal you would be able to. I am running 19psi right now and 20psi is the most I can run on the 91 craptane, I wish we had 93 oct. I think I am going to install the stock mani and see if it is better or even noticeable.

atheory: pm me when you are ready to install, I will try to make it out. I work mon-fri 8:00-4:30 so I cannot help those days. I think you can get everything done in about 6 hours (not stopping for breaks) assuming you have all the tools...

let me know.

bassed
07-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Depends on which ATP mani. The external WG'd one sits the Turbo on top, instead of hanging it. The cracking issues seem isolated to the non external waste gated one.

gotaudi
07-15-2007, 09:52 AM
the one for the GTRS eliminator(stock high flow mani).

ShawFM
07-15-2007, 06:43 PM
I have the ATP mani with Jet-Hot (would get Swain next time).
The power was shifted up about 400 rpm's I am not sure that it added a whole lot up at the top end considering I have a k04.
Cracks after about 7k miles I have none, I have never had the bolts loosen as others have. But I had also some additional machine work done to the mani to ensure that the bolt surface sat flat on the mani, if you look carefully they are slightly angled where the nuts sit mani to head. I also used Nord-Lock washer for the mani to turbo.
K04 ATP mani, and Swain coated cat at Photobucket (http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/shawfm/Ko4%20installed/)
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t43/shawfm/Ko4%20installed/ATP_mani_cyl_4_nut.jpg

thebikedoctor33
07-15-2007, 07:17 PM
i'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but why would you go back to the manifold that came on the car if you spent money on a new one. and also, why spend money on a new one that doesn't outperform the origional?

gotaudi
07-15-2007, 08:31 PM
i'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but why would you go back to the manifold that came on the car if you spent money on a new one. and also, why spend money on a new one that doesn't outperform the origional?

Well I got the mani for cheap. thought I needed/wanted it, now I am thinking about a better spool with the stock mani since I drive 90% of the time in the city. I am not looking for more power, I am looking for the best performance. If I can get a better spool out of the stock manifold with more reliability then the ATP mani why wouldn't I do it? that also brings your second question. why spend money on a new one that doesn't outperform the original? because I love to have options for my car. and like I said before I got a really good deal on it.