PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take for wrinkle paint to cure?

Ewok_Fetus
07-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I am doing my intake manifold and the shit looks AWSOME!! Not to mention I also painted the throttle body flat black... But the can doesn't say how long it takes to cure? I took all of the masking tape off but it is still tacky after about 4 hours... I am also putting it under a 500W Halogen to speed it up... Or should I use a 1200 degree heat gun?!

mike-2ptzero
07-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Use what ever heat you can, even run the car to heat up the IM from the inside.

Euro-Tuner
07-13-2007, 11:25 AM
according to the can I have it says NOT to re-assemble the part for 5 days...if you rush it it will look like shit, 5 days may be over kill, but I wouldnt risk it

mike-2ptzero
07-13-2007, 11:31 AM
according to the can I have it says NOT to re-assemble the part for 5 days...if you rush it it will look like shit, 5 days may be over kill, but I wouldnt risk it

If the part is out of the car then you can put it in a oven to bake it. There are plenty of web sites that tell you exactly what should be done to get the best results.

Ewok_Fetus
07-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Yeah, the shit looks awsome!! I just have to get it to cure... What is a good temp to put it in the oven? 250 degrees? I think that is the lowest my oven goes... But yeah, I took the manifold off to get the absolute best result...

Euro-Tuner
07-13-2007, 11:51 AM
pics man!!! I wanna see it!

bullyd0g
07-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Yeah give it a while, otherwise if it's not fully dried it really comes out bad.

Ewok_Fetus
07-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Here is the throttle body...
http://members.cox.net/baldwin4/1.8t%20engine/hose%20007.jpg

Intake mani
http://members.cox.net/baldwin4/1.8t%20engine/hose%20009.jpg

Any tips on not breaking the coolant flange when installing the manifold back? Hahaha, I thought it was going to break during the removal....
http://members.cox.net/baldwin4/1.8t%20engine/hose%20010.jpg

Ewok_Fetus
07-13-2007, 12:01 PM
LOL!! Oh yeah, that tarp did nothing for my car... I was painting right at the opening of my garage and I still got overspray on the car... Looks like I will be having a long week of claybarring the paint and taking a razor blade to the windows!!

Euro-Tuner
07-13-2007, 12:49 PM
that actually looks hella cool...nice work man!! I wanna paint my trottle body now!

Ewok_Fetus
07-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend taking the black cover off at all... I hope I didn't mess mine up because I accidentally bent one of the teeth for the throttle position sensor... Bent it back as best I could but won't know until the manifold dries up and I put it all back together...

Also, when you do paint it, just mask off the black plastic piece and leave the clips on, later you can remove the clips one by one and remove the paint on them with finger nail polish...

tamadrumr88
07-13-2007, 01:03 PM
you should have a seperate oven for curing paint, you dont want to use your kitchen oven which youre going to use in the future for food

kjgarreau
07-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Wow, the throttle body looks great.

*edit* - planning on doing the valve cover at any point?

emeralda4
07-13-2007, 01:19 PM
What kind of paint did you use? Looks awesome!

Ewok_Fetus
07-13-2007, 01:47 PM
What kind of paint did you use? Looks awesome!

For the intake manifold I just used Krylon Wrinkle paint and then for the throttle body just Krylon flat paint... Hopefully the heat will bake everything on fairly nice and I won't have to worry about chipping and scratching...

And KJ.... I don't PLAN on doing the valve cover anytime soon but if I do, it will be red wrinkle... I have the original engine cover so, that takes care of that area...

mike-2ptzero
07-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Best thing to do is just unbolt the coolant over pipe from the flange, you might lose a little coolant but that shouldnt be a problem.

Ewok_Fetus
07-13-2007, 02:12 PM
Best thing to do is just unbolt the coolant over pipe from the flange, you might lose a little coolant but that shouldnt be a problem.

Yeah, I have a gallon of coolant left anyways... Plus I need to change out that damn dirty ass coolant resivoir...

Ewok_Fetus
07-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Finally got it back together... That took all of 20 mintues... But I did manage to scratch one area that I just patched up and you cannot tell it was there... But I like the way it turned out!! After this bakes a few times under some heavy driving for a while, I will get in there and clean all that dust and crap off!! That is what I get for using cheap engine detailer... The shit was STICKY!! Attracted more dirt than etheopians do flys...

http://members.cox.net/baldwin4/1.8t%20engine/ne%20008.jpg

kjgarreau
07-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Any closer-up/higher-res pics of the IM/TB? Looks great in those pics.

*edit* did you use high-temp flat black, or just plain-old flat spray?

kjgarreau
07-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Three thick coats every 5 mins on my manifold, I let it air-dry for about a half-hour. Turned the oven to 220, once it heated to temp, I turned the oven off, stuck the manifold in and left it overnight. Was dry to the touch this morning when I took it out.

It's about 90 out now, it's out baking in the sun some more just for the hell of it.