PDA

View Full Version : GT28RS kit on



1.8GT28RS
07-15-2004, 04:11 PM
I'm a newbie here and wanna know if anyone here has an Auto thats pushin a good amount of horsepower. I have the GT28RS H/W kit...but holdin off on the rest of the parts I need till I know how much the auto tranny can take(No Neutral drops either). I just want a 300whp car that I'll be able to push on the highway once in a while[rolleyes] But if anyone has any feedback or anythin' it would be helpful...thanks

Devious27t
07-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by 1.8GT28RS
I'm a newbie here and wanna know if anyone here has an Auto thats pushin a good amount of horsepower. I have the GT28RS H/W kit...but holdin off on the rest of the parts I need till I know how much the auto tranny can take(No Neutral drops either). I just want a 300whp car that I'll be able to push on the highway once in a while[rolleyes] But if anyone has any feedback or anythin' it would be helpful...thanks

cable on here used to have a similar set up on his car and i believe that his tranny was slipping pretty badly... he now drives a six speed s4.... if you run boost on it i am pretty sure it wont long until the tranny slips iirc the torque ratings on stock a4 trannies arent very high for the auto.

1.8GT28RS
07-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Is there anythin to beef the tranny up to take more or is it basically go with a 5 speed. I wanted to stay auto cause wifey drives the car so you know how that goes.

HomeSlice
07-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Do a search for a company called level 10

1.8GT28RS
07-15-2004, 04:42 PM
ok...

awe4rings
07-15-2004, 04:46 PM
Wasting no time huh? wow.

Devious27t
07-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by 1.8GT28RS
Is there anythin to beef the tranny up to take more or is it basically go with a 5 speed. I wanted to stay auto cause wifey drives the car so you know how that goes.

wifey driving a upgraded turbo car is a bad idea imho that could be your excuse for her not to drive it ha. [:D]

1.8GT28RS
07-15-2004, 05:16 PM
SHHH...LOL! I didnt find anythin on that Level 10 company. But there's someone on the VWvortex with a 03' Jetta custom T3/T4 upgrade on an Tiptronic tranny.

4ingDrive
07-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Here ya go.

http://www.levelten.com/store/import/packages/parts_audi_a4_95_UP.htm

Turbo lag is gonna suck bad with an auto though.

joeya103
07-15-2004, 06:05 PM
so the product we're looking at here is the stage 3 PTS kit?

What about the torque converter...would upgrading that allow for auto/tip launching (power braking, revving) without worrying about frying it?

Just curious, not like I have the money to do it right now =D

Wish they would give more detailed info on the site...

1.8GT28RS
07-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Well from what I hear(opinions). The Auto is better for turbo and that it holds boost through the shifts better than a manual does. VWroom was in the high 12's-low 13's with an Auto 1.8T, K03 and I think a 75 shot of juice. I was gonna go T3/T4 but I found out that the GT28RS spools faster.

1.8GT28RS
07-15-2004, 06:16 PM
And yes his tranny lasted with all those neutral drops he was doin...

MKGIY
07-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Just out of curiousity, What programing are you gonna use? And honestly I think if you do get the kit to run right you will kill your tranny in no time. Also where in NJ are ya?

Mike

jesseahhstyle
07-15-2004, 06:49 PM
Personally i'd just get a 5spd but your gonna want to beef it up maybe getting it rebuilt with some stronger internals gears and everything. Another thing your going to want for sure is a transmission cooler just to help it stay cool.

Devious27t
07-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by MKGIY
Just out of curiousity, What programing are you gonna use? And honestly I think if you do get the kit to run right you will kill your tranny in no time. Also where in NJ are ya?

Mike

lol i think anyone with an upagraded turbo more than thinks that.... as for spooling better with an auto i am pretty damn sure you have got that backwards as autos make less power down low than manual due to extra torque convertor drivtrain loss...

oh and as for the k03 with a 75 shot there is something you are forgetting. nitrous does not produce the amount of torque that a turbo does, therefore the comparison does not really hold well. not to mention this car you speak of is probably a golf which is a good 300-400 lbs lighter which is a major factor on tranny stress. are you quattro or front trak? if quattro than you are in a whole different universe with that example.

bitterchild
07-15-2004, 07:16 PM
Don't forget Performance Automatics in MD... PA systems. I know the owner, good guy, good work.

2fast4u
07-15-2004, 07:22 PM
you could try lentech i dunno if they have an audi kit tho

AudiMan
07-16-2004, 12:11 AM
don't do it, your tranny won't last with that much torque, sell the car and buy another

littlewhite
07-16-2004, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by 1.8GT28RS
I'm a newbie here and wanna know if anyone here has an Auto thats pushin a good amount of horsepower. I have the GT28RS H/W kit...but holdin off on the rest of the parts I need till I know how much the auto tranny can take(No Neutral drops either). I just want a 300whp car that I'll be able to push on the highway once in a while[rolleyes] But if anyone has any feedback or anythin' it would be helpful...thanks

Cable had it in his old A4, took a ride in it and got some massive power, but it wont hold down. For auto/tip, just dont even bother going anything bigger than a K04 unless u upgrade to like a St. 10 tranny that is like $2000.

1.8GT28RS
07-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by DVS18t
lol i think anyone with an upagraded turbo more than thinks that.... as for spooling better with an auto i am pretty damn sure you have got that backwards as autos make less power down low than manual due to extra torque convertor drivtrain loss...

oh and as for the k03 with a 75 shot there is something you are forgetting. nitrous does not produce the amount of torque that a turbo does, therefore the comparison does not really hold well. not to mention this car you speak of is probably a golf which is a good 300-400 lbs lighter which is a major factor on tranny stress. are you quattro or front trak? if quattro than you are in a whole different universe with that example.

No its not an GOLF. Its a Jetta with the stock KO3 and nitrous. VWroom is his name I think, on VWvortex. Yes he's in the low 13's and high 12's. I will also try to find the kid with the Tiptronic T3/T4 upgraded turbo on his Jetta thats had no problems with his tranny so far. As for software REVO Big Turbo program or Upsolutes new Big Turbo program. As for Auto's holdin better boost just look at an Auto Porsche or an Auto Supercharged Mercedes(even though totally different gearin for those cars). I'm not hear to argue jus wanted to know if there was somethin' to upgrade the Auto tranny. I'm not drag racin the Audi either...AT ALL! Thats what my MK2 VR is for[:)]

1.8GT28RS
07-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by MKGIY
Just out of curiousity, What programing are you gonna use? And honestly I think if you do get the kit to run right you will kill your tranny in no time. Also where in NJ are ya?

Mike

I'm in Dover, Morris county...

1.8GT28RS
07-16-2004, 07:38 PM
Here's a link talkin about VWrooms Auto Jetta

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1494077

13.5 on KO3 and 12.9 on the juice.

A4Jon1.8t
07-16-2004, 11:23 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. I have a 2000 FWD Tip and I've been trying to find the best upgrade to do to get a reasonable amount of power without destroying the tranny. The stealership told me that the Tip should be good up to 300hp. I've been thinking of going with this setup, http://www.pes-tuning.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PEST28LONGA4&Category_Code=AP-PERF-TURBOS
I would definatly put a Tip-Chip in it before doing anything major to it. GIAC makes one that I know of. Reduces the shift time from 1sec to 0.2sec.

Enclave
07-17-2004, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by 1.8GT28RS
No its not an GOLF. Its a Jetta with the stock KO3 and nitrous. VWroom is his name I think, on VWvortex. Yes he's in the low 13's and high 12's. I will also try to find the kid with the Tiptronic T3/T4 upgraded turbo on his Jetta thats had no problems with his tranny so far. As for software REVO Big Turbo program or Upsolutes new Big Turbo program. As for Auto's holdin better boost just look at an Auto Porsche or an Auto Supercharged Mercedes(even though totally different gearin for those cars). I'm not hear to argue jus wanted to know if there was somethin' to upgrade the Auto tranny. I'm not drag racin the Audi either...AT ALL! Thats what my MK2 VR is for[:)]

You are right that the Auto holds boost better between the shifts but the manual cars have a few more advantages that make them "faster". That being control by the driver (5000k rpm launch), weight savings from manual transmission, and also less drivetrain lost. Supercharged Mercedes are irrelevant becuase they dont really have "turbo lag".

Anyway give levelten a call and they do have an audi section:

http://www.levelten.com/store/import/packages/parts_audi_a4_95_UP.htm

Here is some impressions of the levelten setup from AW:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/962992.phtml

Here is a thread detailing the cost involved which is about 1800 for parts + labor.

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1134909.phtml

They say that these upgrades will make your tranny handle 400 hp which is around 312whp on quattro A4.

AspenSti
07-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Pics of your setup?

1.8GT28RS
07-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Enclave
You are right that the Auto holds boost better between the shifts but the manual cars have a few more advantages that make them "faster". That being control by the driver (5000k rpm launch), weight savings from manual transmission, and also less drivetrain lost. Supercharged Mercedes are irrelevant becuase they dont really have "turbo lag".

Anyway give levelten a call and they do have an audi section:

http://www.levelten.com/store/import/packages/parts_audi_a4_95_UP.htm

Here is some impressions of the levelten setup from AW:

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/962992.phtml

Here is a thread detailing the cost involved which is about 1800 for parts + labor.

http://forums.audiworld.com/a4/msgs/1134909.phtml

They say that these upgrades will make your tranny handle 400 hp which is around 312whp on quattro A4.

Thanks for those links. I was lookin for somethin like that. I have Quattro on my A4 so it'll be easier on the drivetrain. Yeah there's advantages to havin manual. Trust me I would of gotten a manual but gotta keep my fiance happy so I got an auto. I'm not worried too much about labor as my Uncle works on trannies. I could do it but I'm not to good with takin apart trannys.