PDA

View Full Version : Factory Radio?

a4justin
07-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Car: 1998.5 A4 1.8tQM

Ok, i checked all of the speakers, none of them say bose so i assume its not bose. My car came with a sony h/u. the h/u sucks sooo bad its not funny. i really would like to go back to stock (sounds weird) but i would like stock. my back speakers kick pretty good. but the only time that they work loud enough to hear is if i shift most power to the back instead of 50/50. sat in the same model year at a car lot with factory radio and it sounded so much better. i know i have my work cut out for me as the harness has been hacked to hell by the previous owner...i called audi and they dont konw which one came in the car. it didn't have a cd changer in teh trunk (considering adding one). does have an amp on the left speaker. humm thats about all i can think to pu in there. my 2 choices were Symphony and Concert. which is which? i have no idea. hell any suggestions as far as a different route other than stock would be greatly appreciated as i'm going oth ave to replace the front speakers anyway becuase they are severely blown.

dukez
07-10-2007, 02:43 PM
You probably had the stock tape deck. I think thats the Concert. Unless you want to listen to the radio all day, or rock some tapes, I'd say just get another after market CD/MP3 reciever, and replace all your cabin speakers while your at it as well. [up]

Bic-Ball
07-10-2007, 03:49 PM
plz, stock radio + casette -> 1/8" jack adaptor is the ultimate solution

A4 Effort
07-10-2007, 04:32 PM
If you're dead-set on going back to stock, i have a Concert HU that i took out of my '99, and a Panasonic DP801 8-Disc Changer i can sell you.

Both worked perfectly when i took them out when i upgraded to a Kenwood setup. I even have the radio code for the HU, so if it ever goes into safe mode, you won't have to pay $120 bucks to get the code.

I also have the Blitzsafe 13-pin adapter that you'll need to attach to the OEM cd changer cable to make it work correctly. Check the back left-hand side of your trunk first to see if you have an OEM cd changer cable back there. (it may be behind the cover tucked away) If not, you'll have to get one of those. I have that too, but i don't feel like yanking it out of my car.

Anyways, i can do everything for $70 inc. shipping, or shoot me an offer via PM

a4justin
07-10-2007, 09:22 PM
i'm not dead set on a stock one, just ideas. i heard i should go back to stock to get my remote to work lol heard that from audi. any suggestions will be helpful. and the remote thing...i've literally, literally tried everything.

A4 Effort
07-11-2007, 06:32 AM
What do you mean "remote thing"; explain

A4Shizzle
07-11-2007, 06:37 AM
Well if your talking about the key remote, there's no reason why it shouldn't work with an aftermrket h/u. Mine definately still works. I don't think the dealerships take you seriously unless your waving cash in their face.

Its probably not the H/U causing the rears to sound bad. If you'd like to get the rear speakers to play properly with ANY aftermarket deck, all you should need is a signal converter, or new rear speakers. Here (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-A8lv8d4G0Db/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=751&I=127OEM2) is a popular one. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the problem your running into right now, is that the rear speakers are amplified and running a speaker level into them is causing them to play incorectly. This has been covered before and if you want a little more info try searching for "afteramarket stereo" or something like that.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd just replace all 4 speakers. I'll be doing that eventually since I installed my Alpine. You WILL lose sound quality going back to stock, unless that sony is a real piece of crap. BTW, if you do go back to stock and decide you want to upgrade the rear speakers eventually, you'll still need that level converter.

keeganhartman
07-11-2007, 08:59 AM
I would say try finding a good Head unit somewhere with a better built in amplifier. I was running a kenwood then went to Eclipse. and the speakers sounded worlds over better. If you're into it look for building a full system that will sound better than any factory audi system

a4justin
07-11-2007, 02:54 PM
i'm thinking i just might take it to HiFi buys down here in GA to have them do it pro. i dont want to spend a lot, i'm thinking 300 bucks should do for speakers installation etc. i hope.

the remote issue is complex, i'll copy and paste from other threads i had before to explain what is going on. i think i just need a new key fob...