PDA

View Full Version : Silicone or rubber?

A4Shizzle
07-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm going to replace some of the vacuum lines and run a new line to my boost gauge. I was looking for opinions on which material is better for this type of aplicaton? I'm still stock, engine wise right now, and I've heard both ways on this.

Thanks,
Matt

dmaize
07-10-2007, 01:51 PM
i got silicone cause it was cheap. and i liked the blue. i also think it fits tighter. but i dont know if one is better than the other.

A4Shizzle
07-10-2007, 08:26 PM
I was just gonna get black so it wouldn't stand out too much. Nobody sells it locally, so I'd have to spend like $2 a foot total after shipping. Kinda pricey, but if there was a good reason to get it (besides the look) I wouldn't mind. I've heard it lasts longer, holds up to heat better and expands/contracts less than rubber vacuum/boost line. Then again, I've also heard that it collapses more, doesn't fit as tightly on the fittings and isn't worth it. Idk, maybe I'll just use rubber unless someone has a reason to go with silicone.

aytheory
07-10-2007, 08:31 PM
not hta bad - cost about 1.47 a foot at kragens - so just order more so you don't have to deal with it agian - always good to keep more around to replace vac lines

A4Shizzle
07-10-2007, 10:28 PM
I didn't know Kragen's could order the silicone lines. Thats a good price if they do.
I'll just oreder up the silicone and use the cheap ass rubber ones they sell in the mean time.