PDA

View Full Version : Question about lowering spring orientation

HIERLEVELZ
07-10-2007, 12:13 PM
I ordered a set of vogtland lowering springs installed them. However i noticed that the pass front appears to have less wheel gap than the driver front. Is there a top and bottom to lowering springs. I think on the rear its evident because the coil diameter tapers and only one side will fit snugly into the bottom perch. But the front springs have far less coils and they appear symmettrical. Can i assume that the top would be indicated by the mfg lettering being right side up?

Tifosi
07-10-2007, 03:55 PM
According to Milke at PureMS, the orientation does not matter for the front, but needless to say, they should be the same for both sides (Don't laugh, this has happened before). But you are correct that in most cases, you would install them with the prints/logo in the upright orientation.

How long have you had the springs on now? keep in mind, they will settle with time.

HIERLEVELZ
07-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I just got them this past weekend.

Tifosi
07-11-2007, 08:49 AM
As long as the springs are in the "correct" orientation and were installed correctly, I would wait at least a month, for the new springs to settle, before searching for problems.

Did you change the shocks too? If not, what are you using and how many miles do you have on them?

HIERLEVELZ
07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
As long as the springs are in the "correct" orientation and were installed correctly, I would wait at least a month, for the new springs to settle, before searching for problems.

Did you change the shocks too? If not, what are you using and how many miles do you have on them?

I changed the rear shocks to bilsteins but the fronts are still oem sports with 100k on them (i intend on chaging them within the next couple weeks). Once i get the bilsteins i can lower the perch and that should lessen the wheel gap a bit or at least thats my assumption.

Tifosi
07-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I changed the rear shocks to bilsteins but the fronts are still oem sports with 100k on them (i intend on chaging them within the next couple weeks). Once i get the bilsteins i can lower the perch and that should lessen the wheel gap a bit or at least thats my assumption.

At 100k, the shocks are probably worn, changing them would be, IMO, a wise choice. I wouldn't worry about ride height then, at least not until a month after you get all your suspension work done.

BTW, how low do you intend to have your car at? IIRC, Bilsteins and Vogtlands tend to ride low as is, even at the higher perch. I would ask around and varify before setting them at the lower perch, just so you don't ended up re-setting all again in another month.

HIERLEVELZ
07-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I plan on keeping the car for at least another yr or two or unless i get a good deal on a B6 which ever comes first. Thanks for the advice.