PDA

View Full Version : Retrieved "totalled" car. Fix advice (pics)

biketsai
07-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Well I had got in a small wreck not so long ago.
I decided to take the a4 back(basically getting it for $2600) with some cash.
Ive been told that if I look for another door/stuff liek that, it will be difficult because Audi sometimes uses different parts on the same car.

Im looking to buy a door from Shokan and a fender.

Seem like an easy fix?
Should i be concerned about the whole "different parts"?
All the insides are not damaged, but the wires have been disconnected by the body shop.
any input would be great.
thanks
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/DSC_2519.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y69/volumebikec0/DSC_2518.jpg

Ewok_Fetus
07-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Looks like you will need a bit more than just a fender and a door... Also, don't shop shokan... Go through www.car-part.com. You can search HUNDREDS of auto dismantlers for a MUCH better price than Shitcan...

biketsai
07-09-2007, 10:17 PM
k, they quoted a whoel door for $395 and fender for $195
what else is needed?

chris164935
07-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Why did they total it? Seems like there might be more damage than you are currently aware of... Or the car was worth less than the repair costs?

AudiSport12
07-09-2007, 10:28 PM
i'd say door frame, door sill and mouldings, door hinges, etc..

if you plan on doing it yourself, tear the car down and see whats you need before you order random parts

biketsai
07-09-2007, 10:28 PM
well the only area that is messed up is that door.
everything else is perfect.

speedydragon
07-09-2007, 10:32 PM
frame area around the door?

Ewok_Fetus
07-09-2007, 10:38 PM
well the only area that is messed up is that door.
everything else is perfect.

If you say so... I can see when you get all parts in...

"HELP! Need help with door not closing!" Or something along those lines... I can already see gaps there that shouldn't be there. I mean, honestly, a body shop wouldn't total it for no reason... Not to mention that car looks to be maybe a 2000/2001... With blue book being around $10k or so, and MOST insurance companies total cars out at 50-75% of the cost of the vehicle, then they would have needed at least $5k worth of work to total it... I know JUST a door and fender isn't $5k worth of work...

Poopie
07-09-2007, 10:38 PM
they would not total it for such little damage. Fully assess the damages. But it looks like you need two doors and a fender. The door frame looks to be damaged too but i think you get the frame when you order a door from a dismantler

biketsai
07-09-2007, 10:41 PM
the frame isnt damaged, it just scratched a bit/dented like a couple mm

AudiSport12
07-09-2007, 10:48 PM
i doubt that ^^ how can you tell if you havent even torn the door down?

biketsai
07-09-2007, 10:53 PM
hmm, i think im confused about what exactly the whole door is

GR-RALLYE
07-09-2007, 11:02 PM
hmm, i think im confused about what exactly the whole door is

if that confuses you then you probably shouldn't have bought the car back. i your car is worth at least 8grand... which is was more then the cost of the door and fender. you will need a entire door assembly the frame will be bent, the frame attaches where the door got hit. what did the body shop estimate say was wrong with the car?

biketsai
07-09-2007, 11:07 PM
ill see how much the door frame is

GR-RALLYE
07-09-2007, 11:15 PM
im guessing you will need a complete door and fender. probably a wheel well liner, that might've also gotten broken in the wreck. maybe a rear door and hood too its hard to tell from those pics but it looks like they got damaged. there may also be some some body work that needs to be done to the A pillar it almost looks like the fender damaged that.

what about on the inside of the door... any damage to the dash/access panel?

biketsai
07-09-2007, 11:17 PM
the wheel well is completely fine. rear door is just a bit dented. nothing wrong with teh hood. the fender is just moved. no damage on the inside

GR-RALLYE
07-09-2007, 11:20 PM
how many miles on ur car

biketsai
07-09-2007, 11:21 PM

GR-RALLYE
07-09-2007, 11:30 PM
ok then there is more damaged then the door and fender. the fender on there right now is from a 99.5+ and with 70k miles that car is worth a hell of a lot more then what it would cost to fix just a door and fender. fyi insurance companies deem a car totaled at about 80% of blue book value and it doesnt cost $8k to fix the damage your describing.

your asking for advice on how to fix this but theres a lot more to it then what you think. if thats the only damage you see then there is frame damage where the door mounts.

if i were you i would take a look at the body shops estimate

biketsai
07-09-2007, 11:32 PM
well the claim adjuster only estimated about $800 in parts. but alot more in labor.

b5gen
07-09-2007, 11:37 PM
WOW... that sucks... same thing happend to me when i had my eclipse gsx

kjgarreau
07-10-2007, 03:28 AM
The depth of that huge dent in the fender isn't good. Try to get some high-res pics and post them... close-ups of the fender, the lining along the hood, the door, the inside of the door, the door hinges, etc. And look at the estimate to see what is detailed out by line item. Usually the estimate will say something like "repair f/pass fender -- 3.5 hrs". Post back with results :)

blackaudia4tk
07-10-2007, 04:35 AM
really the only way ur gonna be able to tell is to get a used door slap it on and see if ya need to pull the pillar.. fender is easy but how it hit the door it could of moved the pillar with the door def new hinges and i think the hidges are welded on so those suck

matt_mcmhn
07-10-2007, 04:50 AM
Just take the frickin door off and look at it before you go just ordering parts. I mean granted you're going to need another door for sure but you have no idea what is damaged underneath that. I guarantee you things are bent that don't look bent right now and will probably give you problems in the future, not the least of which is the safety hazard of having a bent frame.

victorvu
07-10-2007, 06:48 AM
remove that fender and take some pictures from inside of that door hinge then we can tell you what is needed. With it like that you cant really tell. Also take some pictures from under the body open the hood and take some pictures there might be some frame damage there. it might not seem like it but my car was hit the same way.

Klum00
07-10-2007, 09:26 AM
I bought an A4 from police auction for $900 that had almost the exact same thing. I bought new door, put it on and yeah didnt close correctly. It was a bitch but I did manage to get it to work. The frame where the hinge attached was sligthly bent so I used washers between the hinge and frame, and around the bolts that hold the hinge on. This pushed the hinge out to its original position. Again a total pain in the ass to get it right, but hey to me it was worth it because i spent nothing on the car.

iin10ded
07-10-2007, 09:42 AM
you might also try going to a few body / frame shops and ask if they're willing to check out the substructures after you pull the parts off [which obviously raises the issue of driving around with no door or fender.

you might get off with just replacing the whole door [frame, hinges, etc etc] adn fender but IME getting stuff to line up right after even a minor tap is a WICKD pita. body work is an art i don't understand.

if you shop around i'd try to find parts in the same color to save the body work. any door from a b5 ought to work. check the audi dealer EKTA for parts compatibility [aka if all the b5's use the same door part #'s].

but 800 is REALLY cheap. i just filed a claim for a a plastic rubbermaid barrell that fell off a truck and hit my car on the hiway. cracked headlight and turn signal, scratched bumper and hood, cracked license plate holder [it's 80$!] came up at 2400. id get a second opinion as that looks like at least a couple grand on work.

biketsai
07-10-2007, 12:19 PM
well they only estimated 800 in parts.
but like 4-5 thousand in labor

redhott06
07-10-2007, 12:27 PM
yea i dont know about the front fender but my dad recently backed into my rear fendor/quarter panel and its 18 hours of labor for the fendor alone. they have to like cut the car and such :(

that and pant for the bumper/trunk - 3300!

GR-RALLYE
07-10-2007, 01:20 PM
the front fender just bolts on

Jeff
07-10-2007, 02:02 PM
All you need is a new door skin and fender. The window assembly (also holds the mirror) is a separate piece that detaches from the door.

biketsai
07-10-2007, 02:20 PM
well i plan on taking the door off today or tomorrow

blacka4
07-10-2007, 02:27 PM
well they only estimated 800 in parts.
but like 4-5 thousand in labor

4K in labor what the hell was there rate...anyways the door pillar that hold the hinges is definitely bent someway.

biketsai
07-10-2007, 02:49 PM
it seems as if it is only dented barely inbetween the hinges. but the hinges look pretty straight

blackaudia4tk
07-10-2007, 02:55 PM
a door skin is all huh? wow.....i guess if ya dont care about the intrusion beam ya could best bet would be a used door and used or new fender bold it up and see where ur at.... i would love to see someone put a skin on that shell you would have a lot of straighting to do, and it would still look like shit

All you need is a new door skin and fender. The window assembly (also holds the mirror) is a separate piece that detaches from the door.

biketsai
07-10-2007, 03:16 PM
im going to get a whole door assembly

AMfan27
07-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Looks to me that you also need a rear passenger side door?
EDIt: Not a new one, if that can be popped out.

jankaroni
07-14-2007, 08:23 AM
the front a-pillar which hold the hinges for the door is definitly going to be twisted back there is no doubt about it there is no way that door could be skinned, well it could be but it would absolutely not be worth it you need a new door shell which is the complete bottom part of the door the window and the window frame and everything is a seperate part and should not be damaged, is it just me or is your rear door damaged on the front edge i cant tell from the picture, it looks like it could be repaired or you could put a door skin on it, is there any damage to the hood from the fender hitting it? the repair costs where probably quite a bit because they were going to paint both doors the fender the quarter panel and the hood, then you have all of the labor time for taking off the front and rear bumpers and all of the other remove and reinstall items such as door handles and all kinds of stuff alot of shops will up there costs from european cars that are harder to work on to make up for lost time i know our shop does anyways

xr4tic
07-16-2007, 06:37 AM
from the looks of it, the door and fender are the least of your worries. Most likely the frame the door and fender bolt to are probably bent.

Pull it off and see.

On the plus side, you can probably part the car out and easily make your money back, more than likely make some money.