PDA

View Full Version : Manhole Cover Vs. Car....Guess Who Won?

Still Lost
07-08-2007, 09:47 AM
So I'm driving to grab some late night food at Pats/Genos in Philly and I come through a green light at an intersection and the car slams into a raised manhole cover collar and by car I mean oil pan. So now my oil pan is in about 5000 peices all over 8th street! Had to wait 2 1/2 hours for a cop to file a report and another 2 hours for a tow truck, so I finally got the car to a shop at 5:15am....needless to say I'm not happy right now! Does anyone have any experience having an oil pan replaced at a shop (parts/labor $)? I'm trying to find a used one right now but not having much luck...so if your in the tri-state area and have one let me know I'll come get asap!

Any internal suggestions since I'm replacing the pan now?

miked
07-08-2007, 12:49 PM
My buddy blew up his oil pan on his passat going over some train tracks and IIRC it was about 600 for parts and labor. Maybe my memory is shot, but I'm pretty sure thats around what it was.

Poopie
07-08-2007, 12:50 PM
of course check out the oil pump and potential sludge issues. Replacing an oil pan is pretty easy if you can find one.

onemoremile
07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Replace the oil pump while in there. Also inspect engine mounts, CV boots, suspension bushings, etc.

AUD-A4
07-09-2007, 07:59 AM
i payed aroune 350 for mine,but it also was just the lower pan.

LateraLex
07-09-2007, 09:32 AM
of course check out the oil pump and potential sludge issues. Replacing an oil pan is pretty easy if you can find one.

Dunno if I would call that job "easy" [:p]

Das General
07-09-2007, 09:42 AM
ouch...

goodluck trying to get money from the city...the city of Philadelphia owes me 500+ for a mistake they made, yet they still LOVE giving me parking tickets.

Militant-Grunt
07-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Wow man that sucks, I know how it feels, thats exactly how I lost my oil pan too. Cost me 550 with parts to replace my oil pan at C&M in Long Island

Rosati
07-09-2007, 03:42 PM
you shouldnt have to pay anything.

Im sure if you present the police report to the town/city , they will reimburse you.

Im also sure that they wont., But try.

AUD-A4
07-09-2007, 04:00 PM
i agree w/ rosati.a bunch of us went thru that phase a while back and a good amount of us got our money from the city,wont hurt to try!!!

blackaudia4tk
07-09-2007, 04:07 PM
i payed 650 at a dealership for a new one and installed at least ya can get a good 15 $ in scrap for the old one haha

Rosati
07-09-2007, 04:25 PM
i agree w/ rosati.a bunch of us went thru that phase a while back and a good amount of us got our money from the city,wont hurt to try!!!

see, there is hope!

Still Lost
07-09-2007, 04:42 PM
thanks guys here is an update:

I ordered a new pan which will be here this week, I'm going to install it myself and save the $300 a shop wanted to charge.

As for a report, I do have a police report as well as 2 cell pics from that night and then I went back the next day and took approx 12 pics of the manhole cover and the intersection. I will have a friends shop write me up a recipt and then submit it all to the city.

ActiveMonkey
07-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Not trying to sound like a dick, but imo i'd think the city would tell you if you're car was so low a man hole cover struck your car, then your vehicle was below a legal height.

I dunno how'd that work, but i'd think they would want to fuck you.

Kyle H
07-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I know the legal limit in california is that if the lowest point of the car is lower than the lowest point of the rim. An A4 with 18's or even 17's would have to be pretty damn low to be lower than that.

Sucks about the car, hopefully they'll reimburse you. My friend bent a rim on a huge pothole around here, filed a report with the city, they denied anything was wrong. Then a week later they filled the pothole.

Obsessed
07-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Keep all of the receipts. You can submit it to the insurance company if you don't have the money right away, then let the insurance company fight the city for the money. They have a little more muscle to fight this kind of crap.

attamz
07-10-2007, 10:07 AM
The list price from audi on the lower oil pan for my 2.8 was $159.07. The list on the gasket was 19.88 It took me about 15 min to change the lower oil pan.

Still Lost
07-10-2007, 10:59 AM
The list price from audi on the lower oil pan for my 2.8 was $159.07. The list on the gasket was 19.88 It took me about 15 min to change the lower oil pan.

Yea unfourtantly our engines are different, mine will most likely be a 5 hour job b/c I need to drop the subframe or raise the engine.

My car is not near illegal height, the way the road was rutted out was the main factor contributing to the issue. I have a ton of pictures documenting the scene so they can't deny it was never there. I doubt I'll get anything but it's worht a shot. I'll post pics of the manhole cover and the carnage tonight when I finally get under the car.

AudiDude007
07-10-2007, 11:04 AM
i live in philly and can vouch for him, your car doesn't have to be that low to hit stuff around here. it's not uncommon to find actual holes cut in the road without some sort of sign or cone blocking them.

Obsessed
07-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Unfortunately, Phila is not getting its' act together. It's such a historical place with lots of great benefits, but, the city just doesn't seem to care. It's sort of like York Pa. It's one of the oldest established towns in the US, originally called Yorktown, but it's turning into a dump more and more each year and we are losing tourists every year.

_audible_
07-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Had this exact same thing happen to me in an old Accord back in the 90's. Except it also shattered the tranny housing and ripped a big hole in the motor case. Totaled. Best thing that ever happened to me. =)

attamz
07-10-2007, 11:51 AM
Yea unfourtantly our engines are different, mine will most likely be a 5 hour job b/c I need to drop the subframe or raise the engine.

Are you thinking of the sway bar which blocks the back of the pan? If so it only 4 bolts.

Still Lost
07-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Are you thinking of the sway bar which blocks the back of the pan? If so it only 4 bolts.

Nope for the 1.8's it is the subframe...here you can see it in this link and read what it intails: http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145742&highlight=oil+pan

I plan on starting tonight, hopefully I can have the old one out so when the new one arrives I can just bolt everything back up!

attamz
07-10-2007, 05:45 PM
I stand corrected. I was not aware that the 1.8 was so much different compared to the 2.8 underneath