PDA

View Full Version : Blown Engine?

Yeagy
07-07-2007, 08:00 PM
Had the oil can light come on yesterday. Thought I had low oil, so I checked it and it was a little low but nothing extreme. Put some oil in the engine, drove it around today it was just fine. Driving home from work tonight it comes back on, pull over and check the oil level and its just fine. Turn down the radio and drive it a little, sounds like a baseball card in the back tire of a bike. Turns out the light ment low oil pressure, not low oil. Any Ideas? (other than the obvious "take it to a shop", its late saturday night and none of them are open on sundays)

Kyle H
07-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Do you run the updated (bigger) oil filter and full synthetic oil?

From what I've read, the oil pressure light normally means you have sludge. seafoaming the engine would break up the sludge and get that out of there.

Ewok_Fetus
07-07-2007, 08:28 PM
If you are already sludged up that bad, seafoam probably won't do much for you... (Take it from the guy that did the original write-up)

Kyle H
07-07-2007, 08:39 PM
What could he do? Take the oil pan off and wipe that out + autoRX? Or would he have to do a good ol' fashion tear down of the motor?

Tiluleshpingen
07-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Rebuild It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris164935
07-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Best bet would be to pull the engine and take off the oil pan. Or drop the sub fram and pull the oil pan off, if one has access to a life. Could be as simple as having to replace the sump for the oil pump or as bad as rebuilding/replacing the motor and/or turbo if the motor/turbo was starved of oil for too long.

sean1.8t
07-07-2007, 08:48 PM
What could he do? Take the oil pan off and wipe that out + autoRX? Or would he have to do a good ol' fashion tear down of the motor?

we're not talking about sludge ONLY in the oil pan and in the oil pump. if it is this bad, then his entire motor is sludged. he needs to teardown everything. and replace anything that has too severe of damage

Kyle H
07-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Good to know in case this comes up in my A4. I'm really worried about sludge, I don't think the previous owners ran synthetic, and I bought it with 107k miles.

chris164935
07-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Good to know in case this comes up in my A4. I'm really worried about sludge, I don't think the previous owners ran synthetic, and I bought it with 107k miles.

Then start taking the pre-cautionary things to stop the motor from sludging excessively. Make sure you've switched to the bigger oil filter and run some Seafoam through the oil and intake manifold.

Yeagy
07-08-2007, 08:35 AM
When I was driving the car home last night and was at idle you couldnt tell there was a problem. The car sounded normal, as soon as the RPM when above like 1100 or so is when the noise started in.

Ewok_Fetus
07-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Then start taking the pre-cautionary things to stop the motor from sludging excessively. Make sure you've switched to the bigger oil filter and run some Seafoam through the oil and intake manifold.

Seafoam through the intake will only help clean the combustion chamber... Not any oil sludge...

chris164935
07-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Yes. But it will help with carbon build up, which is also bad.

TheMadDutchman
07-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Same thing happened to my 1.8t. According to Audi you have to remove the valve cover, remove the cam shaft bearing caps(one at a time) and check for scoring or any damage from a lack of lubrication. If all is good, remove engine oil pan, clean out oil sump, replace turbo oil feed and return lines, clean out sludge from valve cover and oil pan, refill with synthetic 5w40 and install 068115561B oil filter, run engine at 3000 rpm for 30 minutes, drain oil/replace filter, remove oil pan again and inspect sump for contaminates, if good, put it all back together again with fresh 5w40 synthetic oil and enjoy. Good luck!

Yeagy
07-08-2007, 12:16 PM
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Audi-Repair-1811/oil-pressure-light.htm

Ewok_Fetus
07-08-2007, 05:12 PM
Yes. But it will help with carbon build up, which is also bad.

Yes, but we are talking about sludge, not carbon build up... [;)]

sean1.8t
07-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Yes, but we are talking about sludge, not carbon build up... [;)]

but, why would you not take ALL the precautionary steps and processes possible? you're dumb if you don't. plain and simple

Ewok_Fetus
07-08-2007, 05:29 PM
Carbon build up is more of a timing issue than anything... Right now this guy needs to get his oil pressure problems taken care of and THEN do the cc cleaning... But hey, if he wants to run his engine for longer than needed with low oil pressure just to clean the combustion chambers, that is all on him to do the damages...

Yeagy
07-08-2007, 09:18 PM
guess nobody read the link i posted. this is a common problem with audi's, the engine sludge. it is covered by audi if you can provide proof of all your oil changes and they only have to be every 10K miles. i bought my car used so i do not have proof of them all. just google audi 1.8t oils sludge and you will see all kinds of people that have posted this problem.

sean1.8t
07-09-2007, 12:01 AM
guess nobody read the link i posted. this is a common problem with audi's, the engine sludge. it is covered by audi if you can provide proof of all your oil changes and they only have to be every 10K miles. i bought my car used so i do not have proof of them all. just google audi 1.8t oils sludge and you will see all kinds of people that have posted this problem.

HA, you think you're the first to know/learnt this. we audi owners have been dealing with this for years. oil sludge is nothing new

Yeagy
07-09-2007, 10:16 AM
That was ment towards all the people who are going back and forth about carbon deposits. Whoops, guess that means you. This has NOTHING to do with carbon build up. Just got off the phone with 3 different shops and they all said that seafoaming the car would be a waste of time. It probably is not the oil pump just the pick-up tube is crammed shut with oil deposits that have crystalized. Even if they did change out the oil pump this problem could come right back with in 6 months. They are ging to de-sludge the engine with a chemical first to see if that will break up most of it. Guess ill find out what they are going to do to the car later today and post it up for others...

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
07-09-2007, 10:33 AM
...Just got off the phone with 3 different shops and they all said that seafoaming the car would be a waste of time...

...They are ging to de-sludge the engine with a chemical first to see if that will break up most of it....

sounds like an oxymoron...

NoFlyZone
07-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Seen a lot of posts suggesting sludge and the 1.8T. At 188K miles, I've seen no symptons. Mostly regular at oil changes and been using synthetic for about 100K miles. I've used a basic engine desludge product from CRC over the last 3 oil changes. Couldn't tell if this helps or not. Should I worry? Didn't think the turbo would last this long but still runs as new. [up]

chris164935
07-09-2007, 02:22 PM

Why would you waste everyone's time by starting this thread if you just found a link anyway? In the forth post down, I described, in general, what would need to be done to the engine if the sludge build up was too severe. It was also mentioned in the first reply that you should make sure you are running the bigger oil filter and using synthetic and that you should also try running seafoam through your motor before handing it over to a shop or going deeper in repairs.

As for the "carbon build up rant", another poster stated that he was glad to know what would generally have to be down to get rid of the sludge build up. I also said that seafoam should be run throgh the intake as well since he's already going to be in his engine bay and since you don't have to add a whole can to your oil, might as well use the rest to clean the combustion chambers. But, if being half-assed is your thing, that's fine too.

Ewok_Fetus
07-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Why would you waste everyone's time by starting this thread if you just found a link anyway? In the forth post down, I described, in general, what would need to be done to the engine if the sludge build up was too severe. It was also mentioned in the first reply that you should make sure you are running the bigger oil filter and using synthetic and that you should also try running seafoam through your motor before handing it over to a shop or going deeper in repairs.

As for the "carbon build up rant", another poster stated that he was glad to know what would generally have to be down to get rid of the sludge build up. I also said that seafoam should be run throgh the intake as well since he's already going to be in his engine bay and since you don't have to add a whole can to your oil, might as well use the rest to clean the combustion chambers. But, if being half-assed is your thing, that's fine too.

Still, you aren't telling us how this is "half assed" since carbon build up has NOTHING to do with sludge... If a fat dude was having a heart attack, would you tell him to loose weight and change his diet first or give him CPR first?

chris164935
07-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Still, you aren't telling us how this is "half assed" since carbon build up has NOTHING to do with sludge... If a fat dude was having a heart attack, would you tell him to loose weight and change his diet first or give him CPR first?

LOL. I wasn't even talking to the original poster. This forum has a quoting system and yet ya'll still don't understand?

If the fat dude had a fat friend that witnessed the heart attack but hadn't had one of his own and asked how he could prevent one from happening, you would just tell him to wait until he has a heart attack so you could just administer CPR?