PDA

View Full Version : lug bolts broke off...how big of a job is this?

sandnessmj
07-07-2007, 02:03 PM
So while taking a long trip (CT to SC and back), I had three lug bolts on my driver side front wheel shear off. Please don't ask how this happened.[:(] Worst part was that I was down there for my little brother's boot camp graduation, and I was his ride home.

Anyway, a shop down south looked at it rather timidly - "Well, we're not sure on these foreign cars" - and they were unsuccessful at drilling out the bolts. They told me that the entire spindle would have to be replaced, and that the part would have to be ordered directly from Audi blah blah blah. Because my brother only has 10 days of boot leave, we took the car home on a trailer.

Now I'm seeing that I could possibly get away with replacing just the hub, maybe the bearing with that. Anyone have any input? Really the only problem at this point is that the hub has three bolts stuck in it. No other damage sustained from driving on it like this (well, that I know of anyway). Is this a DIY job?

As always, help is greatly appreciated. I'd like to get the car on the road as soon as possible.

Starting
07-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Did they try to drill them out? Why couldn't they? If you are asking if drilling them out is a diy job I think it can be if you know what your doing. If not your better off bringing it somewhere.

ExpLlclT
07-07-2007, 02:43 PM
pics would be helpful

sandnessmj
07-07-2007, 04:03 PM
They drilled as far as possible without drilling out the threads on the hub. Two bolts sheared off flush with the hub, neither would budge when drilled. The third bolt was a lot longer, but they couldn't get that to move either. A friend swapped my wheels/tires out recently, and we think the bolts were dry and possibly cross-threaded as well. I'm wondering if replacing the hub is a DIY job, and if that requires replacing the bearing at the same time.

Sorry, don't have pics at this time. The wheel was put back on so that it could be tied down to the trailer.

sandnessmj
07-08-2007, 07:01 AM
Anybody?

quattro16
07-08-2007, 07:24 AM
get a new hub and wheel bearing

sandnessmj
07-08-2007, 12:39 PM
get a new hub and wheel bearing

That's what I was thinking, but is it a DIY job? Any special tools needed for something like that or is it fairly straightforward?

Kerschera4
07-08-2007, 01:14 PM
one of my friends replaced his hub and wheel bearing to his own car when he snapped some of his lugs but it was not an audi. just some old pickup..
if youre still not sure i would recommend that you had someone take a look at it that wasnt "not sure about foreign cars"

sandnessmj
07-08-2007, 06:11 PM
one of my friends replaced his hub and wheel bearing to his own car when he snapped some of his lugs but it was not an audi. just some old pickup..
if youre still not sure i would recommend that you had someone take a look at it that wasnt "not sure about foreign cars"

Well, doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the spindle. The only obvious problem is that I can currently only use two lug bolts in that hub. After asking around a bit, seems a press is needed to install the bearing, so I guess I'll just find a local shop to look at it.

RamŽ
07-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Drill them out and re-tap them, otherwise replace the hub and bearing.

In the past, I've seen people take off the rotor and use two thin nuts on the remaining thread to wind it back out by hand.

If they are cross-threadded, you are "SOOL".

Moral is always thread the bolts in by hand for the first 360degrees minimum before using a pneumatic tool on them...

Hope this helps?

Best wishes,

Ram