PDA

View Full Version : Check out my cutoff...

sixfiveoh
07-06-2007, 09:49 PM
Just got my Valeo ecode headlights with HIDs from a member on the board, and god they look great. Soooo much nicer than the clear cornered stock lights. I have a question tho, check out my cutoff pattern, it looks different than my stock headlights with my halogen bulbs w/ projectors. Is it normal that they kinda go up near the right of each beam?

http://sixfiveohphoto.com/audi/cutoff%20001.jpg

If it's not right, is there any way I can go about adjusting them? Also I think my headlights may have to be aimed down a bit too, how do you go about doing that? Is it just simply tightening the bolts when they're faced down a little more?

speedydragon
07-06-2007, 09:52 PM
damnit my camera is broken, anyways on the back of the housings there should be a white nob thingy. that's the thing you use to adjust your headlights.

sixfiveoh
07-06-2007, 09:53 PM
That's what you use to adjust the headlights, or the projector beam?

GR-RALLYE
07-06-2007, 09:54 PM
the cutoffs normal.. i think the right one is supposed to come over to the left and line up with the other one? or a combination of moving both towards each other.

on the back side of the headlights there are two white sockets where you can adjust them

sixfiveoh
07-06-2007, 09:56 PM
That's a strange ass cutoff... wouldn't it blind people in front of me?

speedydragon
07-06-2007, 09:57 PM
the cutoffs normal.. i think the right one is supposed to come over to the left and line up with the other one? or a combination of moving both towards each other.

on the back side of the headlights there are two white sockets where you can adjust them

yea those are the two nobs i'm talking about. it should be right behind the projectors, there's another for the highbeams, which is located near/behing the high beam part of the housing

sixfiveoh
07-06-2007, 09:58 PM
So what's gonna adjust when I turn the knobs? The level of the lights? Or the actual cutoff pattern?

speedydragon
07-06-2007, 10:00 PM
the height

sixfiveoh
07-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Ah okay. But we're all in agreement that the cutoff looks normal? It's weird as hell to me, like the stock headlights had a perfectly straight cutoff... idk...

speedydragon
07-06-2007, 10:09 PM
that's why this is the euro spec headlights :]

sixfiveoh
07-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Figured it had something to do with that...

speedydragon
07-06-2007, 10:11 PM
imo, it looks correct. try to do a search for the b6 ecodes.

MadMAXS4
07-06-2007, 10:27 PM
The reason there's a "splash" up and right is for street signs. Even non-projector factory headlights are designed in such a way as to better illuminate the "upper-right" side of the road.

Btw - true "e-codes" would splash up and left since in most european contries, you drive on the other side of the road. Most companies use the term for marketing purposes. Some use the projector lenses from true e-code lights, but there is really no difference in the lenses; the only differences are the internal construction of the shields.

mike-2ptzero
07-06-2007, 11:26 PM
Sure seems like no one actually knows what the 2 white knobs adjust.

No there isn't 1 knob for the high beam and 1 for the low beam.

No it doesn't adjust the actual "projector".

They do happen to adjust the inner housing inside the head light housing which the 2 lights(high and low) sit inside of. One of them adjusts the head light upward/downward while the other one tends to move the beam in a 45 deg angle so that you can get the "cutoff" in the same spot and centered.

Btw - true "e-codes" would splash up and left since in most european contries, you drive on the other side of the road. Most companies use the term for marketing purposes. Some use the projector lenses from true e-code lights, but there is really no difference in the lenses; the only differences are the internal construction of the shields.

Some what correct but not completely. The "true" Ecodes have a cutoff that can be flipped with a metal arm inside the head light. This way it can be used in a right hand drive car or a left hand drive. Lets not forget that most of all the countries in Europe do drive left hand drive cars and drive on the right side of the road, it is just the UK that drive right hand drive cars on the left side of the road in Europe.

dukez
07-07-2007, 01:28 AM
http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-HEADLIGHT-AIMING-PROCEDURE.pdf

MadMAXS4
07-07-2007, 02:26 AM
Some what correct but not completely. The "true" Ecodes have a cutoff that can be flipped with a metal arm inside the head light. This way it can be used in a right hand drive car or a left hand drive. Lets not forget that most of all the countries in Europe do drive left hand drive cars and drive on the right side of the road, it is just the UK that drive right hand drive cars on the left side of the road in Europe.

Eh, everytime I think about Europe, I remember my adventure driving in England. That, other than the Bahamas which also drive on the left in both RHD and LHD cars, is the only place outside of the US I've traveled in the last 8 years.

Interesting about the "arm" you mentioned, I never came across that when I was retrofitting the head headlights in my current car ('95 Maxima). I'm using Bixenon projectors, and the lower shield is riveted to the frame of the projector with the selenoid and "flap" bolted to it. I guess it might be different in single xenon projectors. Enough OT from me.

mike-2ptzero
07-07-2007, 08:23 AM
Eh, everytime I think about Europe, I remember my adventure driving in England. That, other than the Bahamas which also drive on the left in both RHD and LHD cars, is the only place outside of the US I've traveled in the last 8 years.

Interesting about the "arm" you mentioned, I never came across that when I was retrofitting the head headlights in my current car ('95 Maxima). I'm using Bixenon projectors, and the lower shield is riveted to the frame of the projector with the selenoid and "flap" bolted to it. I guess it might be different in single xenon projectors. Enough OT from me.

Yeah its different for the Audi. I just took a "eurocode" apart so that I could put my xenon setup out of my passenger stock head light into the driverside eurocode.

Here is a picture of the cutoff unit out of the eurocode headlight for the B5.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716eurocode_cutoff.jpg

yunebug
07-17-2007, 12:05 AM
DOT cutoff:
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k295/DHackRSX/IMAG0122.jpg

ECE cutoff:
http://www.hidplanet.com/i/bosch_cutoff_watermarked.jpg

loustylez
07-17-2007, 06:42 AM
they're angled up on the right side so that it's lower when it's pointed at the car in front of you. you want the low/left side to come up right behind someone's trunk but not in their window, and the right side will be sufficient to light up the right side of the road so you can watch for deer, etc.

speedydragon
11-17-2008, 11:42 AM
bump this back from the thread. Hey joe, how did you end up aiming your headlights? i've tried aiming my new ecodes, but it doesn't look right lol

Seerlah
11-17-2008, 11:57 AM
FWIW, mine looks exactly like sixfiveoh's. I tried to line the left beam to the right one, but it seems to not want to budge? I am content with it. And after seeing how his pic is, and mine being exact, I am no longer concerned. But to aim your headlights, you dial the white knobs on the healights:

The inner adjusters control the up and down... outers adjust the side to side.

Left (driver side) headlight: turn the outer adjuster clockwise to move the beam to the right... counterclockwise to move the beam left (as if you were sitting in the car)
Turn the inner adjuster clockwise to go down... counterclockwise to go up.

Right (passenger side) headlight: turn the outer adjuster clockwise to move the beam left... counterclockwise to move the beam right (as if you were sitting in the car)
Inner adjuster is the same as the driver side headlight.

What I did was at night find a building to level them. Then I went for a cruise and kept on changing the height till the beam was maybe 1" below the top of the trunk of the average sedan. I know I annoyed the crap out of people on my test runs to get it right, but sacrifices had to be made [:p].