PDA

View Full Version : new audi owner with questions

thebikedoctor33
07-06-2007, 08:33 PM
i just bought a 99 audi a4 with about 100,000 miles on it. i paid 6 grand, which i think is a pretty good deal. its a 5 speed with the 1.8l. i have a few questions... first off, i'm not sure if the switch is broken but i can't lock the car. the remote won't lock or unlock it. neither will the switch inside. i'm confused... the key itself broke and is coming apart. i need to get a spare anyway... how much do they go for? from a dealer... also, the dash cup holder won't retract all the way... any suggestions?

thanks for your help.

oh and how can you differentiate between a 99 and a 99.5?

dukez
07-06-2007, 08:49 PM
99 has two piece headlights (side-blinkers are seperated from the main housing) 99.5 is one (complete) piece. Thats the biggest tell.

Your central vacuum (something, i forget) is probably broken if your remote and inside switch won't lock and unlock the doors. Get your car scanned for codes, it'll show on there. Pepboys or similar shops can scan your car for codes.

Dash cup holder is a piece of crap anyways, don't use it.

Congrats on the ride, and welcome to Audizine. Please use the search functions and read all the stickies above to familiarize yourself with this fourm.

Happy Audi-ing.

speedydragon
07-06-2007, 09:28 PM
all the cup holders in our b5's are useless lol. especially the ones under the armrest

4ringAR
07-06-2007, 09:51 PM
all the cup holders in our b5's are useless lol. especially the ones under the armrest

true that. unfortuantly, those are the only cupholders in my car hahaha. i just keep some gum and mints in there, RARELY a drink.

and as said above, you have a 99 if your headlights are 2 pieces per side. another way to tell is if the fender blinkers are square and orange, it is a 99. if it is clear/white and rectangular, it is a 99.5. there are alot of other ways to tell, but you will find them out and be able to notice them later when you become more familiar with this type of car.

Militant-Grunt
07-06-2007, 11:10 PM
true that. unfortuantly, those are the only cupholders in my car hahaha. i just keep some gum and mints in there, RARELY a drink.

and as said above, you have a 99 if your headlights are 2 pieces per side. another way to tell is if the fender blinkers are square and orange, it is a 99. if it is clear/white and rectangular, it is a 99.5. there are alot of other ways to tell, but you will find them out and be able to notice them later when you become more familiar with this type of car.

I keep quarters in mine haha. The one farthest away from the gear stick is useful but only for cans =/.

speedydragon
07-06-2007, 11:14 PM
i keep quarters in the ashtray on the very bottom of the center console :]

pipe7284
07-06-2007, 11:26 PM
my cup holder is so fucking useless that i dont use it. all quarters go to ashtray. cup holders that are usefull are great for chicks who like to bring all kinds of drinks into your car that dont want to be spilled all over your "leather". hahahah...

burner799
07-07-2007, 03:14 AM
you guys should stop letting the fast food people talk you into super sizing. I just had some jack in the box and a regular soda fits in the ones under the arm rest just fine. The in dash one can fit a big monster or rockstar too. Our fat american asses need to stop drinking from damne huge cups.

JettaRedII
07-07-2007, 05:49 AM
You lock problem is very likely a failed central lock pump. I've replaced two already (on two audi's). They are easy to replace; EXPENSIVE to buy. Try looking in the forum classified here, on www.audiforums.com (http://www.audiforums.com), and on forums.vwvortex.com (http://forums.vwvortex.com). Check with folks parting out their totalled cars. Check junk yards.

As a new owner, invest $100 (or less) and get the Bentley service manual--CD is better, paper is easier. Go to www.bentleypublishers.com (http://www.bentleypublishers.com), or better, spend more money and get VAG-COM diagnostic software from Ross-Tech (http://www.ross-tech.com) and buy the Bentley CD at a discount.

I know this sounds like a lot of extra expense, but the few hundred you spend now on the software and manual will save thousands later--no joke!

Lastly, keep the key part of your remote and check on ebay for used remotes. Make sure you match the exact numbers on the remote. Do you have the switchblade style. They are $$$ through the dealer. BTW, the Bentley manual will tell you how to program the replacement remote (but so will some postings in the tech section of www.audiworld.com (http://www.audiworld.com)).

Good luck and congrats.

thebikedoctor33
07-07-2007, 07:11 AM
what's the easiest place to get the vacuum pump new? and how much do they go for, roughly?

DJmuggs
07-07-2007, 07:58 AM
i just bought a 99 audi a4 with about 100,000 miles on it. i paid 6 grand, which i think is a pretty good deal.

You think thats a good deal, check this out -> http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146760

JettaRedII
07-07-2007, 12:38 PM
what's the easiest place to get the vacuum pump new? and how much do they go for, roughly?

New: about $500! [eek] Used: whatever you can find them for. Just make sure the person is trustworthy. You can't look at them and tell if they work.

Kyle H
07-07-2007, 12:47 PM

I love those cupholders. They hold 12oz cans of soda and small/medium drinks better than any car I've been in. lol.

thebikedoctor33
07-07-2007, 06:36 PM
New: about $500! [eek] Used: whatever you can find them for. Just make sure the person is trustworthy. You can't look at them and tell if they work.

whoa! yeah junk yard my best option?

Silver98A4
07-07-2007, 06:44 PM
I love those cupholders. They hold 12oz cans of soda and small/medium drinks better than any car I've been in. lol.

theres no sides to the cup holders....even if a cup or a can fits in it....idk how you guys drive but i like to take my corners with a little speed and have some fun....drinks would just tip right out the side.

i actually had a slurpee in there once and didnt even corner hard but it tipped out of the side of the holder.....thank god only a real tiny amount of slurpee ice got on my dash and i dont think any got on my seat....but that taught me to never put a drink there again...its not worth the risk of a mess to me.

Kyle H
07-07-2007, 06:48 PM
I try to stick to small or 12oz cans, the cupholder goes up ~1/2 way and holds it super snug for me. Actually, if I'm just driving food home, I'll take the straw out of a drink and put the arm wrest down on top of it. [:)]

JettaRedII
07-07-2007, 07:11 PM
whoa! yeah junk yard my best option?

That or check the classifieds on the forums, or try ebay.