PDA

View Full Version : Severe toe out with frozen tie rod

NoFlyZone
06-30-2007, 07:17 PM
After replacing an axle boot and trying to replace a tie rod end I now have about a 15 degree toe out. Car is underivable for obvious reasons. Brand new set of Pole Positions mounted on OZ Ultreleggera's. I have a meet tomorrow showing the stereo installation on this beast. Now I'm screwed unless I can reverse whatever the hell I did with my alignment.
Desperate.... [:(]

Sorry for the duplication!

Euro Avant
06-30-2007, 08:39 PM
toll the car fixed by suspension/tire shop?

fred2ka4
06-30-2007, 09:10 PM
I had the same problem when I did my control arm kit as one of my tie rods was seized. A little heat and a big wrench will take care of this problem. After you break it loose just make sure to count the threads on every full turn and do the same thing on the other side so that they are both the same.

If you do not feel up to it after you break the tie rod end loose, just take it to a shop and have them do the alignment.

NoFlyZone
06-30-2007, 09:21 PM
My alignment was good. I changed a CV joint boot, tryed to remove a frozen tie rod and now my alignment is severly toed in. Did I affect the alignment when I screwed with my frozen tie rod or when I screwed with my axle? Here is what I noted a few minutes ago. When I raise/lower my front end the driver side wheel moves greatly (toes out) when lowered. Is this normal and if not does this have something to do with the axle? [:(][:(][:(] No problem before I performed this work!

fred2ka4
06-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Well first off if your tie rod is frozen, that is not a good thing.

I was about to install my Kmac camber /caster kit when I noticed that some of my control arms were really bad and one of my tie rods was also frozen/ seized in place. Some times these things seem ok because they tend to wear out gradually so you don't really notice a big change.

But then when you change one of the parts with a new one it magnifies all the other parts that are worn or bad. If I were you I would just go over the whole front suspension and see if you can determine what is good and what is not and then go from there. Sounds to me like you at least need a new tie rod.

NoFlyZone
06-30-2007, 09:51 PM
I have the replacement tie rods. My problem is time. I have an important meet I've been planning with my car for months. It's tomorrow morning! I cannot understand how I could have dramatically affected my alignment changing an axle boot. I twisted and turned the tie rod but it's frozen. Did I mange to turn something inside that steering rack housing? Did the axle boot replacement affect the alignment? Can it??? Trust me guys, I'm dieing here trying to understand how to get this correct even for a day. This is off an easy 15 degres! Bazaar!! [=(]

Even If all I learn here is that the axle cannot affect the alignment this would help greatly.

Thanks guys...

fred2ka4
06-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Use heat and get it off for now since you have the meet tomorrow. I did it and it worked fine. Once you get it off just make sure to set both sides the same as the one good side since that side should be aligned alright.

Just make sure to count full turns or threads and you should have your car ready for tomorrow.

NoFlyZone
06-30-2007, 10:54 PM
I'll give that a try. Only problem is is that I didn't change anything THAT I KNOW OF to effect the alignment. Is there another way to effect the toe of an Audi? Are there inner tie rods that may have rotated when I tried to loosen the outer tie rod end? Why does my wheel turn so greatly when I lower the car from the jack? This seems incredibly odd. In fact, now when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, the entire front of the car raises in protest from the wheel turning in so far inward on the drivers side. I keep on telling myself this is impossible. What the $!uck did I do??? I think I am in need of some good drugs.....

mike-2ptzero
06-30-2007, 11:01 PM
When ever you play with the tie end rod you throw off the alignment, this is why you always want to get an alignment after replacing the tie rods and if your going to replace one side you might as well do the other side too.