PDA

View Full Version : Help me with last a4 problems..

nAsTYaudi
06-29-2007, 05:59 PM
so my sister got this 1999.5 a4 t1.8 as a gift and didn't want it.. so i've been drivin it for a few weeks.. i really like it. stealership quoted $5,166 for repair.. i had my mechanic do waterpump, timeing belt, tie rods, control arm, cvs, alignment, ect.. for around $1,500.. i wasn't involved when it got scanned so unfortunatly no codes.. i've been doing alot of research so i have an idea what else i need to replace, i'd just really appreciate some of your help.. so here it is the dreaded cel info, word for word from the printout.

J# 2 10CHZ06 check engine light units: 1.00 tech(s): 738

customer states check engine light on
inspected and found dtc's for bank 1 catalyst below
threshold and evap canister faulty.
inspected and found catalyst to be out of specs.
will need to be replaced. found evap canister and
purge regulator valves to be out of specs. breather
system clogged and failing.

also, front brakes have brake pads installed with out brake
sensors. brake light on dash is on due to this.

car drives well.. no idleing or start probs. hot engine(normal right). still getting really good mpg. but i think its lacking in acceleration..(boost???)

so whats up? from reading and doing research wouldn't my exhaust smell if the cat was bad? i was gonna go through and check O2 sensors, cat, maf, airfilter, dv, all the hoses for leaks ect.. let me know if you guys have any ideas.. thanks!!

nAsTY

CaSp3r9
06-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Wait, your sister had a 1999.5 A4 1.8t given to her and she didn't want it??? Hit her please?

sixfiveoh
06-29-2007, 07:18 PM
lol, exactly what i was thinking

nAsTYaudi
06-29-2007, 07:40 PM
lol.. i'd hit her except i'm kinda stoked to take it off her hands.. if these last fixes arn't too bad i'm gonna keep it. i've been reading every piece of info i can find for the last 3-4 days, so i'm aware of what i'd be taking on. i found the vag-com database so i know of places i can get it vag'd for a six pack of beer in the furture.. but if i keep it i'll buy the keycom and proggy.. also my parents have a 2000 vw beetle. so my knowledge on this car could really save them money too.. god damn stealerships. anyway, thanks for any help.

nAsTY

ibew5audi
06-29-2007, 07:50 PM
reposted below

TQMB5
06-29-2007, 07:54 PM
all cheap do it yourself fixes... hfc for 250. new brake pads with sensors, 80 bucks

ibew5audi
06-29-2007, 08:08 PM
http://www.vecc-sepa.org.cn/eng/news/news_detail.jsp?newsid=00671
I don't know what your miles are but good luck. Sounds like somebody dumped too much oil in the car at some point or the cat is just clogged. Car should run at normal temp (in middle exactly) unless something else is wrong-tsat or cool temp sens since you got a new wp. A clogged cat would make it lack power but so would a lazy o2 sensor. Common probs for these cars are wastegates shooting down into the cat, and the cat pulling off of the turbo so dependent on mileage get a new cat. I don't run one so I can't tell you the sites for the cheap ones. Look at that link and determine if you qualify for some free repairs. The dealerships sometimes try to lie and say you're not covered so you have to push the issue or find another one willing to comply with the federal emissions laws. I had to go to 3 different chrysler dealers to get my '95 neon sport's cat replaced. 2 of them said it wasn't covered and wanted me to pay $265 just to buy the cat. That was at 50kmi. The last dealer just changed it no ques. If you're over 100kmi, better learn how to do the little repairs yourself because the word audi to most shops means $$$$. Thousands can be saved doing a little internet searching and mechanics. Automatic, quattro?? They don't have a lot of power if that's your combo anyway-and don't dream of turning on the air if you want to accel. unless you get a chip. Reset the cel and see how long it takes to turn back on. If you're just trying to get a sticker do it right after a reset..???

nAsTYaudi
06-29-2007, 08:41 PM
i was just saying the engine was hot in comparison to other engines.. i know now that these 1.8t engines run hotter then others. temps are fine and idle is around 800-850.. i just went over 100k a few days ago. also whats the rule with these sensors and changing them.. just switch em out and the ecu reads the new one fine? i've read about people unpluggin the battery for 20mins.. doesn't that shut down your radio? i do have the code so its okay.. sorry for the newb questions. i had no idea how cool these cars are and all the mods you can do. i have a few weeks till my new job kicks in soo i really want to dive into this car and really get to know about maintaining it.. just want to be sure i'm doin things proper you know. any info is good info! thanks guys.

btw, my sister likes trucks.. so shes after one of those huge gmc duramax diesels. she tows horse trailers and shit. basically her hubby bought her the car as a surprise awhile back and i've put 2500 miles on it and she's put about 250 maybe..lol so thanks for the car bro-in-law. woot!

nAsTY

nAsTYaudi
06-29-2007, 08:47 PM
sorry..

1999.5 a4 quatro 1.8t
tiptronic auto
stock engine
all mechanical replaced

its got okay power, i just think its a lil sluggish to react. my sister says she can tell the difference since the cel came on.. i unfortunatly didn't get to drive it before hand. shes really knowledgeable so i believe what she says.

nAsTYaudi
06-29-2007, 10:22 PM
can anyone recomend a good hfc? or good place to get one. thanks

Poopie
06-29-2007, 10:42 PM
onemoremile will chime in and tell you...he is like the god father of hfc and he is anti test pipes. =)

EuroIP
06-29-2007, 11:44 PM
woow i want a sister like your lol

do you have vag?
if you do save code and send it to my..
i'll help you to fix it
if you could try to get smog and check how high is the NO..

email

info@eipracing.com

good luck

Paul