PDA

View Full Version : couple updates

wafballa54
06-28-2007, 06:07 PM
here's my custom intake pretty much just took off the top of the airbox and put on a cone filter. im looking for a heatshield but idk if it's really worth it.

http://i17.tinypic.com/5yry8wg.jpg

here's what i did with my custom exhaust. put on a magnaflow muffler w/ 2.5" piping all the way up. and deleted the res. i originally kept the res on but it was still too quiet so we tok it off and now it sounds awsome.

http://i14.tinypic.com/4tp1dg7.jpg

comments are welcome. and anyone that knows anything with the heatshield let me know. cuz it seems like a big hassel and that it really wouldn't even pay off much

onemoremile
06-28-2007, 06:26 PM
The air filter is right above the turbine housing so a heat shield is definitely worth it. Your stock airbox made more power than that open element in there now.

wafballa54
06-28-2007, 06:34 PM
any suggestions on where to get one. i saw the one for sale on here but 90 bucks is a little rediculous don't ya think. ad i don't understand how it's intalled

sean1.8t
06-28-2007, 07:44 PM
if you're talking about the guy on here that sells the heatshield for $90, then no, that is not rediculous. that thing is quality and works better than you'll ever imagine. i had one on my B5 and i loved it..

either buy his heatshield, build your own that probably won't be nearly as good as this, or put your stock airbox back in

Starting
06-28-2007, 07:55 PM
the bottom of the stock intake isn't doing anything to help you. remove it and you will have some more room to work.

BING
06-28-2007, 07:59 PM
I saw a couple guys on here make a heat shield that went from the firewall forward to the upper rad support and fit flush with hood when closed sealing off the hot air to the engine side..........somebody was thinking!!

aytheory
06-28-2007, 08:01 PM
I'll take some pics of my heat shield cost like 10 bux - and you can add terma tech tape that will be the same as the 90 bux one - bad idea to run a cone so close to the MAF - won't be able to get good readings

badboi24u
06-28-2007, 08:06 PM
hell yea i made my own heatshield. Then used this reflective tape i got. My heatshield works like a charm. I also used a tube running from the bottom little slot (were the intercooler is on the other side) up to the filter. My setup works great and no water through the tube.

BING
06-28-2007, 08:12 PM
I'll take some pics of my heat shield cost like 10 bux - and you can add terma tech tape that will be the same as the 90 bux one - bad idea to run a cone so close to the MAF - won't be able to get good readings

Some are designed to clamp right onto the MAF , my HKS is....

Audi91a4
06-28-2007, 08:55 PM
I had the HKS one too. Thought it was garbage tho