PDA

View Full Version : brake pedal feeling

seatown88
06-27-2007, 04:26 PM
i took my car to the track and of course the brakes got really hot. ever since then i have had a soft pedal. i have bled the brakes and even put new fluid in it. what is causing this spongey feeling? it is constant and doesnt change with pumping up the pedal, or even when the brakes get warmer. should i consider stainless steel lines, new pads? i dont remember having the pedal spongey before my track day

pms
06-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Did you bleed the brake fluid or flush the brake fluid?

seatown88
06-27-2007, 04:54 PM
i flushed and made sure no air was in the system, so i bled until the new fluid came out, making sure that the master cyclinder was never less than halfway full

seatown88
06-27-2007, 08:02 PM
i guess it must be me, i cant see how there can be anything wrond with the brakes, im just used to a rock solid pedal. i will still be planning on upgrading pads and rotors and maybe lines

pms
06-28-2007, 10:12 AM
The most obvious culprit is the brake lines, but there are some other possibilities. One is the compressability of the fluid you used to flush the system (not all fluids are created equal). Likewise, depending on how much brake lining you used up, it could just be that the calipers need adjusting. Also, if you warped the rotors slightly, this can feel like there is some "squish" before the pads fully engage with the rotors.

Sitting still, depress the brake pedal, does it sink to a certain point and then hold there, or does it slowly keep sinking until it eventually reaches the floor?

seatown88
06-28-2007, 12:10 PM
i assume your talking about doing that when the car is on for the vaccum...ill check when i finish my oil change

jeremy@matrix
06-30-2007, 09:33 AM
Sitting still, depress the brake pedal, does it sink to a certain point and then hold there, or does it slowly keep sinking until it eventually reaches the floor?

Exactly, great question. The answer to this will help pinpoint what is going on.

seatown88
06-30-2007, 09:54 AM
the brake pedal will dpress, the stiffness increases until it become to hard to move down, before it goes down to the floor. so the movement stops beofre it hits the floor

jeremy@matrix
06-30-2007, 10:04 AM
the brake pedal will dpress, the stiffness increases until it become to hard to move down, before it goes down to the floor. so the movement stops beofre it hits the floor

Ok, but if you pump the pedal slowly 3x (the pedal becomes firmer) and hold, the pedal will then slowly sink to the floor?

seatown88
06-30-2007, 10:30 AM
no the pedal still holds in the same position. i drove the caar fairly hard yesterday, and i noticed under heavy braking the pedal pressure, position, and the stopping was great, but when i try to come to a slow stop the i have to push the pedal more than i would think you would have to. i feel as though it is just in my mind though

jeremy@matrix
06-30-2007, 12:05 PM
no the pedal still holds in the same position. i drove the caar fairly hard yesterday, and i noticed under heavy braking the pedal pressure, position, and the stopping was great, but when i try to come to a slow stop the i have to push the pedal more than i would think you would have to. i feel as though it is just in my mind though

Ok, as long as the pedal holds in the same position then there isn't extra air in the system/lines/etc.

You could just be overthinking it all, yes. [;)]

seatown88
06-30-2007, 12:27 PM
yeah thats what im thinking [:o] oh well i did buy new pads and rotors to get a little more preformance outa my brakes

edit: thanks for your help though jeremy and pms

jeremy@matrix
06-30-2007, 01:30 PM
yeah thats what im thinking [:o] oh well i did buy new pads and rotors to get a little more preformance outa my brakes

edit: thanks for your help though jeremy and pms

You're very welcome as always.
Happy 4th!

seatown88
07-06-2007, 10:30 PM
i found my problem, my front pads were completely done. On the drivers side the pad material had actually seperated from the backing plate on the far side pad

jeremy@matrix
07-09-2007, 08:04 AM
i found my problem, my front pads were completely done. On the drivers side the pad material had actually seperated from the backing plate on the far side pad

[up] Glad you found it.

inicuomal
11-12-2007, 08:56 PM
hi this is crist from md and Igot the same brake pedal feeling ,when i need it for short brake it takes too long Igot allredy them bleded 2x and nothing change ,rotor are fine ,pads too Audi deler says brakes are fine but Igot the b5 before and the brake system were way better

Naudilos
11-13-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm having the exact same issue with my brakes. The pads are new, the rotors have been re-surfaced, and I have bled the brakes... STILL feels as if it's taking a lot longer to come to a complete stop. What could be the reason for this?

I also hear a ticking sound comming from the wheel area with every rotation, ever since I changed the brakes. The ticking sound stops when I use the brakes, but comes right back when I'm off the brakes. What could be the cause of that sound?

jeremy@matrix
11-13-2007, 08:11 AM
hi this is crist from md and Igot the same brake pedal feeling ,when i need it for short brake it takes too long Igot allredy them bleded 2x and nothing change ,rotor are fine ,pads too Audi deler says brakes are fine but Igot the b5 before and the brake system were way better

What bleeding method did you use? A power bleeder or manual(old school) bleeding?

jeremy@matrix
11-13-2007, 08:13 AM
I'm having the exact same issue with my brakes. The pads are new, the rotors have been re-surfaced, and I have bled the brakes... STILL feels as if it's taking a lot longer to come to a complete stop. What could be the reason for this?

I also hear a ticking sound comming from the wheel area with every rotation, ever since I changed the brakes. The ticking sound stops when I use the brakes, but comes right back when I'm off the brakes. What could be the cause of that sound?

Your pad compound can change how much bite the pads have (ie how long it takes to come to a stop---they could be a hotter pad set that needs to get up to temp before stopping well, compared to your old pad set).

Ticking sound....this is difficult. It could be something in your wheel if you have aftermarket wheels.

Naudilos
11-13-2007, 10:44 AM
I changed from stock pads to Hawk HPS pads, and from what I've read on the forum these pads should have really good bite.

I recently changed to my winter wheels and tires but I never heard the sound before I installed my new pads. It sounds more like its a metal rubbing sound possibly comming from the rotor area. Every time the wheel comes to that same point in the rotation there is a high pitched sound.

jeremy@matrix
11-13-2007, 10:51 AM
I changed from stock pads to Hawk HPS pads, and from what I've read on the forum these pads should have really good bite.

I recently changed to my winter wheels and tires but I never heard the sound before I installed my new pads. It sounds more like its a metal rubbing sound possibly comming from the rotor area. Every time the wheel comes to that same point in the rotation there is a high pitched sound.

Hmm, very odd. Have you removed the pads to inspect their surfaces? At times we've seen a chunk of metallic content in the pad surface causing a screeching.

Naudilos
11-13-2007, 11:00 AM
No, but I will check that out as soon as I get some time to take them off.