PDA

View Full Version : Downpipe Question (Tiptronic Owners Please Read)

A4orce84
07-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Hey Guys,

So I'm getting closer and closer to buying a Borla from another Audi owner, but it does not have a DP. Originally with tiptronic they did not sell DP's because there was not enough room. I'm not sure what happened between then and now, but there are DP's for tiptronic A4's. My question is will I lose any serious power by not running a DP with a Borla setup? Should I invest in getting a DP? Any serious withdrawls or drawbacks from using stock DP with Borla? Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

--Asif

joeya103
07-13-2004, 11:56 AM
I was worried about this too, and read every thread/article I can find.

The general consensus is that having a DP will result in an overall power gain of about 5HP. The downside to having a DP, with a stock turbo especially, is that most people feel a noticeable increase in turbo lag. Basically it shifts power to the higher RPM.

Not having a DP wouldn't be a bad thing...depends on how you drive. Personally, since I do a lot of city driving, I'd like to keep my low-end kick so it's fine with me. If I went with a K04 or better, though, I'd definitely get a DP.

Websites quote: +15 HP w/ DP...+10 HP without

Hope that helps, someone chime in to correct me if I'm wrong.

DDQ
07-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by A4orce84
Hey Guys,

So I'm getting closer and closer to buying a Borla from another Audi owner, but it does not have a DP. Originally with tiptronic they did not sell DP's because there was not enough room. I'm not sure what happened between then and now, but there are DP's for tiptronic A4's. My question is will I lose any serious power by not running a DP with a Borla setup? Should I invest in getting a DP? Any serious withdrawls or drawbacks from using stock DP with Borla? Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

--Asif

What mods do you currently have? Your money would probably be better spend on other items.

A4orce84
07-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Haha you said this last time DDQ. =) I'm chipped and I'm planning on getting suspension and exhaust. I'm getting a really good deal from another Audi Owner with his Borla system.

maxh2o
07-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by joeya103
The downside to having a DP, with a stock turbo especially, is that most people feel a noticeable increase in turbo lag. Basically it shifts power to the higher RPM.

How about a better BOV as a solution to significantly reduce the turbo lag?

DDQ
07-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by maxh2o
How about a better BOV as a solution to significantly reduce the turbo lag?

I hope that was a typo. [:)]

A4Jon1.8t
07-13-2004, 01:21 PM
I looked at the borla systems and I like them. But the only problem is they only make them for the Quattro not the FWD. Anyone know the difference, will it work?

A4orce84
07-14-2004, 07:39 AM
bump

tYcOoN
07-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Save up and get a suspension and wheels.
Why you need an exhaust ? [confused]

A4orce84
07-14-2004, 11:18 AM
Dad c'mon now I thought you were smarter than that, read my posts:

"Haha you said this last time DDQ. =) I'm chipped and I'm planning on getting suspension and exhaust. I'm getting a really good deal from another Audi Owner with his Borla system."

joeya103
07-14-2004, 06:23 PM
No, quattro systems will not work on FWD. Otherwise, they wouldn't advertise them as quattro only =) There are different size pipings and strange bends in Frontrak cars. I used to have a diagram of it, but don't have it anymore.

And about getting a better BOV...I'm assuming you meant BPV haha. Thing is, if you have a 710N, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable improvement in turbo lag with a better valve like Bailey's or Forge. Some dude did numerous tests ("The Great Diverter Face-off" or something like that) and admitted that although he measured differences, he couldn't feel it when he tested them blindly with the "seat of the pants" test.

SEXIC─N
07-14-2004, 07:04 PM
The reason why the Quattro exhaust won't on a FWD is the configuration. Think about it. What does the Quattro have in the back end that the FWD doesn't.....

.....a rear diferential