PDA

View Full Version : Arms done but still hear clunking

karmad
06-27-2007, 01:12 AM
Hey guys i recently had my arms did with a febi kit minus the TRE's and i still hear clunking on the driver side. Is this due to the job not getting done right or the TRE's or did my mechanic just fuck me(since he did this in 2hrs)

thnx

bOOOOstedAudi
06-27-2007, 01:15 AM
well maybe you should have listend to me earlier. cv joint, wheel bearing. i have some parts...opp did i say that. sorry

fred2ka4
06-27-2007, 01:19 AM
It could be that your tie rod ends are also bad so you might want to consider replacing those as well with the updated heavy duty version.

Which version of the Febi kit did you get because I also got that kit but mine was a complete 13pc kit.

Have you checked your shocks to make sure they are not blown as well?

jrodmk2
06-27-2007, 04:28 AM
also make sure and check the swaybar links if they were not done.

PSYC0TIC ONE
06-27-2007, 05:17 AM
and check your steering rack bolts... i had a clunking that replacing the control arm didn't fix, it was just a loose bolt on the steering rack, tightened it and clunk is no more!

onemoremile
06-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Start by removing the front sway bar and links. If the noise goes away you've found your problem. If not, you've eliminated one potential source and now have independent front suspension. Listen carefully for what causes the sound. Bumps on the right or bumps on the left. Does it do when you hit bumps on both sides going slow or fast? If you take it out of gear do you hear a hum when turning left or right?

onemoremile
06-27-2007, 07:23 AM
and check your steering rack bolts... i had a clunking that replacing the control arm didn't fix, it was just a loose bolt on the steering rack, tightened it and clunk is no more!

I may have that problem. New tie rod ends and one new complete tie rod assembly and I still get a moaning or creaking and sometimes clunking or popping from the passenger front. Where are the bolts for the steering rack? Anyone got an illustration?