PDA

View Full Version : Shift Light

giorgos_B5c
06-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Is it possible to make one?I don't talk about the huge tachometers with the light.What i'm talking about is a led or 2 that flash when you are at the rev limiter...Just wondering...That would come in handy[;)]

Ewok_Fetus
06-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Yes... Plenty of info out there if you search on google... Hell, I can make it for you if you want!

mike-2ptzero
06-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Is it possible to make one?I don't talk about the huge tachometers with the light.What i'm talking about is a led or 2 that flash when you are at the rev limiter...Just wondering...That would come in handy[;)]

There are plenty of small shift lights that you can buy, they dont just come on big 5" tachs.

plenty of shift light setups, some stand alones and some that need pills or control units (http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=shift+light&N=700+115+4294859118&Ntk=KeywordSearch)

Ewok_Fetus
06-20-2007, 07:52 PM
So this brings up a good question, do we have a clear 12V pulsed signal going to our tach or do we need some sort of pill for that?

mike-2ptzero
06-20-2007, 07:57 PM
So this brings up a good question, do we have a clear 12V pulsed signal going to our tach or do we need some sort of pill for that?

The tach signal changes as the rpms change. The pill allows the light to be triggered when that rpm is hit, basicly it is just a set of resisters to only allow power thru it once that level is hit.

I have been using a shift light in my car for about 6 years now. Just needs a tach signal, ignition 12v and ground.

Here is the one I have been using. It is mounted with 1 bolt to my A piller panel right above the dash.
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/atm-5340.jpg

Can kind of see it in this picture with the yellow cover on the back of it so the light can be seen during the day.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716front_shot-med.jpg

Actually here is a shot of it from the inside.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716sparco_wheel.jpg

Ewok_Fetus
06-20-2007, 08:11 PM
I know how they work, I was just asking if we have a clear, defined, 12V tach signal as most cars do... Because with my buddies Nissan Sentra, we had to use an amplifier for his tach signal since it was a 0-4V or 0-5V range... Don't ask why they did it that way...

mike-2ptzero
06-21-2007, 06:34 AM
I know how they work, I was just asking if we have a clear, defined, 12V tach signal as most cars do... Because with my buddies Nissan Sentra, we had to use an amplifier for his tach signal since it was a 0-4V or 0-5V range... Don't ask why they did it that way...

Yes you can connect it directly to the tach wire without having to use anything else.

giorgos_B5c
06-21-2007, 10:42 AM
The signal cable going to the tach is coming from the ecu?Where exactly is located?Someone told me that i need an "rpm switch" and a led or two.I dont like those shift lights,i just need three leds near my dash.One for 3k,one for 5,5k and one for redline

mike-2ptzero
06-21-2007, 12:07 PM
The signal cable going to the tach is coming from the ecu?Where exactly is located?Someone told me that i need an "rpm switch" and a led or two.I dont like those shift lights,i just need three leds near my dash.One for 3k,one for 5,5k and one for redline

Well what is the point of putting them in your dash if your going to need to look at them to know when to shift and you can do that already by watching the tach. The reason for using a "shift" light is so that you can see the light while watching the road.

The tach signal is in the left plug behind the cluster, it is green/blue or just solid green depending on what year your car is. To do it with LED's you will need a few things which will include a "rpm switch or pill" to light up each led light for each rpm setting you want.

giorgos_B5c
06-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Mike i mean somewhere in the dash tha is visible,even by the corner of the eye when you are watching the road...

I know i'm going to need an rpm switch,or 3.Are they expensive?And to accomplish the whole project,i have to take the cluster out right?

Ewok_Fetus
06-21-2007, 02:08 PM
I forget where I got my RPM switch for my Dodge Neon to do the secondary intake runners, but there is an RPM switch out there for about $45... I will post it up if I find it again...

mike-2ptzero
06-21-2007, 02:09 PM
Mike i mean somewhere in the dash tha is visible,even by the corner of the eye when you are watching the road...

I know i'm going to need an rpm switch,or 3.Are they expensive?And to accomplish the whole project,i have to take the cluster out right?

Well you could just buy the pills and use connectors on the ends so you can wire them to each LED. You will need a different color LED for each set rpm and those will need to be 12v. I would use a relay to power them up so that they run off straight constant 12 volts but the relay is switched using the ignition switch. Then use a inline fuse on the constant 12 volts being supplied to the relay. Then all you should need to do is ground all 3 led's. You could always mount all 3 led's inside a small box that you can mount to the steering column. Then just mount the pills and relays above the fuse box behind the fuse cover if you dont think you will ever need to change pills.

zrowcool
06-21-2007, 03:12 PM
check out the raptor shift light... i had it on my civic. Its really small and bright

giorgos_B5c
06-21-2007, 03:42 PM
Mike
If i get the pills,and wire each led on one of them,then the pills connect to the signal cable?Positive to the signal cable and negative ground?And they must be connected in line or pararell?What's the use of the relay?Can't i do it with out it?Also,i believe the pills are a set of resistors...Can i make my one?

zrowcool
The raptor is way too pricey for what i want...And i'm looking for something custom...

mike-2ptzero
06-21-2007, 04:50 PM
I forget where I got my RPM switch for my Dodge Neon to do the secondary intake runners, but there is an RPM switch out there for about $45... I will post it up if I find it again...

If he used that for $45 he would need 3 with 3 different rpm settings so that each one powers 1 LED, as you can see he wants to run 3 LED's with each one coming on at a different RPM. That would cost more then buying a shift light that has stages.

Mike
If i get the pills,and wire each led on one of them,then the pills connect to the signal cable?Positive to the signal cable and negative ground?And they must be connected in line or pararell?What's the use of the relay?Can't i do it with out it?Also,i believe the pills are a set of resistors...Can i make my one?

zrowcool
The raptor is way too pricey for what i want...And i'm looking for something custom...

well since you would want to use a pill to activate each LED, this means that the pill would have to be used to activate a relay which would then throw 12 volts to the LED. This is basicly what is inside a shift light activation box like the one below.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/atm-5310.jpg

You could use some resistors in place of a pill but then you would have to figure out what resistance is needed for the rpm you wanted, it's just easier to buy a few pills since you can always switch them if you find the rpm not to your liking.

You might also want to search on AW since there has been others that have done what your looking to do.

Ewok_Fetus
06-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Mike, the switch I used actually had two different windows... I really don't see why he would need one for redline... So $45 for one switch to do two different ranges ain't bad...

mike-2ptzero
06-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Mike, the switch I used actually had two different windows... I really don't see why he would need one for redline... So $45 for one switch to do two different ranges ain't bad...

Well I guess he could get away with using 1 of those to flash the LED's at 5k and redline. Not sure why he would need one at 3k.

Ewok_Fetus
06-21-2007, 05:19 PM
I could understand one for 3k for normal everyday driving... 5k for racing but redline is what I don't understand unless he is BT and making power up that high! I know when I race, I probably shift around 5,500...

mike-2ptzero
06-21-2007, 05:43 PM
I could understand one for 3k for normal everyday driving... 5k for racing but redline is what I don't understand unless he is BT and making power up that high! I know when I race, I probably shift around 5,500...

shift light for normal driving? That doesn't make much sense seeing that it wouldn't matter if the shift wasn't exactly at 3k.

giorgos_B5c
06-22-2007, 05:02 AM
I'm confused[=(].I'm a total noob on electronics....How can i power the relay with the pills?Connect the relay with the pills in pararell?And then the leds in pararell again?And then to the 12v?I know i'm a pain in the ass but i'm helpless...

As for the rpms,i need one at 3k for launching my tiny k03, 5k or 5,5k for swifting and a little bit before redline just to avoid the throttle cutting[:)]

mike-2ptzero
06-22-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm confused[=(].I'm a total noob on electronics....How can i power the relay with the pills?Connect the relay with the pills in pararell?And then the leds in pararell again?And then to the 12v?I know i'm a pain in the ass but i'm helpless...

As for the rpms,i need one at 3k for launching my tiny k03, 5k or 5,5k for swifting and a little bit before redline just to avoid the throttle cutting[:)]

Launching a K03 is done at 4k-4500 for the best results, if you launch at 3k the car is just going to bog.

If you are not very good at electronics this really isn't a job you want to take on. Best to just buy a switch that is activated by a rpm setting, just like Ewok_Fetus talks about or the autometer box I showed above. If you get 2 of the ones I showed you can just wire them up with the directions but using LED's instead of a actual shift light, plus you can aways change rpm settings by swapping pills.

I have been doing 12v electronics for nearly 20 years and I would go with a built box instead of trying to make everything myself since the box will have everything in it which will be cleaner in the end.