PDA

View Full Version : Alternator whine

Diesel_A4
06-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Installed my system running 2 amps to a single 12 inch sub and 4 speakers using the stock headunit. Due to this I had severe alternator whine when I would turn my headlights on. (basically it made this loud humming sound) So I put a head unit in the car and it stopped the alternator whine, all of a sudden yesterday when I turned my headlights on the whine came back, although faint and not nearly as bad as it was with the stock head unit, it was still back.

Anyone have any idea if this is a sign my alternator is on its way out?! Kinda confused as I have no idea why it would start doing it again.

TIA

zrowcool
06-20-2007, 10:35 AM
is it noise from the alternator or alternator whine in the speakers? If its in the speakers then you need better ground connections to you amps and head unit. Also need to run the power down one side of the car and the rca's down the other side of the car to keep them from interfering. those should definitely fix the problem.

Diesel_A4
06-20-2007, 10:38 AM
yea its from the speakers. Ill have to check my grounds, that would be nice and simple lol

thanks!

Ewok_Fetus
06-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Not only do you need a good ground, also make sure that the ground wire itself is as SHORT as possible...

Diesel_A4
06-20-2007, 03:20 PM
ill check everything, but its just weird because it had stopped doing it, and then started again.

Ewok_Fetus
06-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Make sure that there is NO paint between your connections to the body... Even if you think it is making a good connection, take it off, clean it and make sure it is bare metal to metal...

mike-2ptzero
06-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Are you using speaker wire(high) or RCA's(low) to supply the signal to the amps?