PDA

View Full Version : will this exhaust be too loud?

crono35
06-15-2007, 02:05 AM
To round out my PC16 upgrade, I'm going to be doing a 2.5" turbo back exhaust. Some people have said that magnaflow is very loud, some have said it's not very loud... I plan on doing a high flow cat to a straight through round muffler (where the current resonator sits) then to a 4x9 straight through oval. All of this is going to get welded together by a local shop.

I'm looking for something that will provide the necessary flow, but not grab attention from a squad car if one is lined up next to me... is this going to be way loud?

On a side note, how many cats are there on the stock system? I saw some people were buying 2 cats, but I've only seen the one after the turbo.

aytheory
06-15-2007, 02:23 AM
There is only one cat right after the turbo - it is a double edge sword the cat warms up quick and gains efficiency quickly and it is close too close to the turbo and builds up a lot of pressure.

The magnaflow is way too loud and will bring a squad car - i got one before so don't recommend it.

Jereme
06-15-2007, 04:48 AM
I have basically the same setup but with a test pipe. Its not all that bad, def. a little louder then borla or something like that, but it sounds good.

crono35
06-15-2007, 09:58 AM
hm, it's 1 to 1 right now... anyone else with any experience?

BigA1.8T
06-15-2007, 12:50 PM
i love my magnaflow, its nice its not annoying loud and cops dont bother me

AudiRacerS4
06-15-2007, 12:56 PM
i love my custom turbo back exhaust with magnaflow muffler and testpipe

wafballa54
06-15-2007, 01:40 PM
i love my custom magnaflow setup too..def is nice has a nice sound to it, cops never bothered me

crono35
06-15-2007, 01:53 PM
alright, survey says im going to get this thing installed asap :)

wafballa54
06-15-2007, 05:05 PM
good choice

onemoremile
06-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Do you guys with the Magnaflows still have a resonator or a muffler to act as one? crono35 is talking about replacing the resonator and running a straight pipe back. That is going to sound like a track day car.

Oricle
06-15-2007, 05:40 PM
Not at all. Under WOT you will notice it, but around normal driving I didn't notice to big of a difference. I play music all the time to, so any of the exhaust noise I normally hear in daily driving is really drowned out by music. WOT is a different story though. Hearing my GTRS scream and my exhaust is the best feeling ever. [up]

3" exhaust here still with the stock cat. I have a custom TP being made for me when my car gets out of the body shop. I'll end up having them made and sell them on here for $70.00 a pop when I get around to having them copy mine.

crono35
06-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Do you guys with the Magnaflows still have a resonator or a muffler to act as one? crono35 is talking about replacing the resonator and running a straight pipe back. That is going to sound like a track day car.

I'm actually going to be running 2 magnaflow mufflers in series; the way they're made, they're straight-through. In retrospect, I should have ordered 2 4x9's to be safe, but instead ordered on round and one oval. Supposedly our stock resonator is also a straight-through design, but a bit angled as well.

onemoremile
06-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I've been thinking about the same style exhaust with the largest AeroTurbine or Flowmasters that will fit. I want max flow without the boominess.