PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers or Struts shocks/Springs combo?

SoFresh
06-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Whats better, I want to hear your opinions. On my previous B5 I had Bilstein Shocks/struts, with Neuspeed springs, car ran smoothly, not very bumpy at all. However, would you choose coilevers over this set up or not?

Wilco
06-13-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm no expert, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone recommend struts/shocks over coilovers. I've always heard the "do it right the first time, get coilovers" kind of thing. I suppose it depends on brands/quality though.

sixfiveoh
06-13-2007, 07:02 PM
On my previous 2 cars I just went straight to coilovers. I never even thought of the shock/spring idea. There was one exception to that, I think the only strut/"spring" setup I'd go would be Koni Yellow/GC Sleeve coilovers, which is essentially a coilover anyway. But I don't know if they make those for Audis, I'm a Honda guy :P

I just love the height adjustability factor, I guess. Plus it's one less step during the install process. I'm lazy like that haha.

a4fann
06-13-2007, 07:49 PM
H&R coils, do it.

brlukosk
06-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Depends on what you would use more..

I have coilovers, I set the ride height and left it. I would have been better off with a spring/shock combo, as they are basically the same thing without the adjustability. I am actually sourcing some bilstein shocks to pair with some vogtland springs I have lying around.

If your actually going to take the time (hours) to adjust ride height go for it, but most will say it takes just as long to swap out the whole suspension. Every time you change your ride height your messing with your alignment settings as well.

A huge benefit to coilovers is the ability to corner balance your car. Some say its worth it, others say that on a street car its worthless because of bushing play etc. You may also want coilovers to "slam" your car and basically throw performance out the window for looks. Coilover setups are usually a "matched" spring and shock combo, but any high performance non-adjustable shock will give you the same performance with reputable springs. Weld on some threads (availble at online race supply shops) along with some collars and you have coilovers.

Either way both are great options. Coilovers aren't any better or worse.

I think because they are the most expensive or "best" that people assume that they are.

Sure a nice set of fully adjustable coilovers is cool to have, however will you actually fully use them? My coilovers have 20 some way damping ajustability as well, but you set it and forget it. I found constantly messing with my suspension every other week, for a track car I say go for it, for a street car I think if you have the cash to spend do it

-b

Calabria
06-13-2007, 08:42 PM
i would rather have a nice strut/spring combo then cheap coilovers. so im going with bilstiens/H&R sports, plus all im doing it driving around town-no track

brlukosk
06-13-2007, 08:48 PM
i would rather have a nice strut/spring combo then cheap coilovers. so im going with bilstiens/H&R sports, plus all im doing it driving around town-no track

I respect that choice [up] [:D]

Euro
06-13-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm no expert, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone recommend struts/shocks over coilovers. I've always heard the "do it right the first time, get coilovers" kind of thing. I suppose it depends on brands/quality though.

Exactly.

I had Bilstein/ H&R Race on my 328... Loved it. But I did wish i had spent that little bit more and grabed some Coilovers. I was so impressed with the billy/ H&R combo, I couldnt have imagined something better.

SO

Now that I have my 1.8t I didnt hestitate to go coilovers the first time. Im installing them tommorow 9am. [:D] [:D]

98a4
06-14-2007, 05:40 AM
You all know how I feel.