PDA

View Full Version : Bearings and bolts?

A4Shizzle
06-13-2007, 02:50 PM
Just last week I replaced my front right wheel bearing to quiet its roar around those left handed turns. Well the day after I finished that up, I realized that I could now hear the left bearing and its gotten much louder this week. As soon as I get up to speed, it's loud and constant when I turn to the right, but still noticable when I'm going straight or making a slight left turn, especially when I jerk the wheel quickly.

This time around, I'd like to replace the hardware (nuts and bolts) with new, for peace of mind. This bearing kit (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Audi-A4-Front-Wheel-Bearing-Kit-96-01-1-8-Turbo-A129A_W0QQitemZ230133134353QQihZ013QQcategoryZ3372 8QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem)on ebay has the nuts I'm looking for, but I'm a little weary of purchasing it, although the price seems great. I could always go with the same bearing I bought last time, from AZAutohaus. Its the same price, but I have to get the nuts from Audi at like $2 a pop. I'd also like to replace the pinch bolts for the upper control arms and tie rod end, and that little bolt that drops into the rod end (sheared that one off the right tie rob end changing the first bearing.) Am I going about this right?

One last thing, the right tie rod end's rubber boot has ripped. Is it critical to replace this now, or should I really be looking for excessive play in the joint? If I do replace this guy, how do I know weather I'm buying the "upgraded" version I've been hearing about?

Thanks for looking,
Matt