PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Master-cylinder removal question

audi_dude
06-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Is there a clip or something holding this part of the MC on (arrow in pic below)? Bentley does not mention any, and I can't see clearly under there, but it seems tight. I removed the hose from the brake-fluid reservoir side, so perhaps that hose can't come thru the hole in the firewall?

(BTW: 98 A4 1.8T FWD Manual).

Thanks,
-Neil.

http://www.narwani.net/neil/cars/Audi_Clutch_MC.jpg

audi_dude
06-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Nevermind.... figured it out, after much fanagling. Apparently once the hose is disconnected from the MC (which I eventually did), that clip thing needs to be pushed upwards and then pulled out to get the barbed fitting out. Was a bit tougher getting in, but nothing major still.

317ssayzarc
04-08-2008, 01:37 PM
this clip sucks... ive been trying for a good 15-20 mins to just get this clip off... i even took the clutch pedal out to get better access to it [headbang]

audi_dude
04-08-2008, 01:43 PM
IIRC, it may get stuck if rotated a bit, as that part of the clip is not "rotationally symmetrical". It's really just a barbed firewall bulkhead fitting, so you should be able to take off the hose between the MC and that barb fitting, then the fitting will be freer to rotate and should come out very easily. BTW, you did disconnect everything from the engine-bay side, right?

317ssayzarc
04-08-2008, 01:54 PM
just the man i wanted to post up [up]

i did disconnect the pressure side via the engine bay side, but not the feed... i am going to work on that when i get back from school... couldnt i just replace it from the barbed fitting back and not mess with that...

djwimbo
04-09-2008, 10:43 AM
That thing is a PITA if you ask me. It should've only taken 20 mins from start to finish. It took me probably half an hour to get the new M/C just into place.

EDIT: You could, if you choose, to reuse the rubber hose and that plastic piece from the old one and just install it on the new M/C but why do it half assed?
I learned to just walk away for a few mins and clear you head. it helps a bunch.

317ssayzarc
04-09-2008, 10:45 AM
yea when i go over there to take it out today im just going to do a slit down the barbed section on the L fitting and master... ill just replace the hose instead of fuckin around with the little L thing and the hose barb thru the firewall [down]