PDA

View Full Version : Piecing together a custom exhaust!

HIERLEVELZ
06-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Im thinking about piecing together a custom exhaust. I want to purchase the mandrel bends and take them to a local muffler shop and have them welded and installed. Anyone have a list of bends that is necessary to get the job done? Im buying the bends before hand because most shops used crush bent piping. The car is a B5 avant quattro. Any suggestions on a muffler? What would be the right size for ex. 14" length or 18" length, oval or round etc.

20A4Audi1.8t01
06-13-2007, 07:59 AM
Magnaflow!

HIERLEVELZ
06-13-2007, 07:59 AM
You read my mind! How about this one;

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=565

or this one

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=463

Im thinking i should get 2.25 outlet tips so i can reuse my factory tips. I believe they're only held on by set screws.

20A4Audi1.8t01
06-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Yeah its up to you mine are 2.25 outlet too im using Magnaflows 3.5 tips they look great! How big of piping you gonna have done?

HIERLEVELZ
06-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Judging from the pic below there seems to be quite a few bends but they're small degree bends. Im thinking a crush bent system might not be too bad.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/pics/eng71_PICT0053.JPG

HIERLEVELZ
06-13-2007, 08:11 AM
I have a techtonics 2.5" DP so i was thinking of keeping it uniform and going with 2.5" piping. And i dont forsee going BT. I think 2.5" should be sufficeint for a KO4, which is what i plan on getting.

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
06-13-2007, 08:15 AM
I only know of one place in NYC that has a mandrel bend on premises and they wanted $1100 for an exhaust.

Most shops wouldn't want to just do labor with your parts, theyre going say something is wrong with.

If you have a 2.8l then i would go 2.5 crush bend piping just make sure they make easy crimps...

if you have a 1.8t then i suggest getting a used turbo system from the forum when it pops up. they always do.

HIERLEVELZ
06-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Those guys in shea stadium will do it. Even if they not making money on parts.

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
06-13-2007, 08:21 AM
They'll do anything over there...
But i wouldn't take my car there...

20A4Audi1.8t01
06-13-2007, 08:21 AM
I have a techtonics 2.5" DP so i was thinking of keeping it uniform and going with 2.5" piping. And i dont forsee going BT. I think 2.5" should be sufficeint for a KO4, which is what i plan on getting.

Awesome, I have the same DP and just installed my 2.5 TP and the rest of the piping is all 2.5 with a Magnaflow resonator as well sounds great! I plan on going KO4 too.

HIERLEVELZ
06-13-2007, 08:38 AM
I know alot of people wont and i know alot of people do. I have one particular guy that i go to and he did my exhaust on my other cars; GTi vr6 and Integra. Ive never had a problem with him. But i also got another guy in college piont ( R J's Piping) who does top notch work. I see a shit load evo's there all the time. He uses stainless mandrel bends. He quoted me $600 which is cheaper than a bolt on exhaust system.

HIERLEVELZ
06-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Awesome, I have the same DP and just installed my 2.5 TP and the rest of the piping is all 2.5 with a Magnaflow resonator as well sounds great! I plan on going KO4 as well.

Did you have your piping madrel bent?

20A4Audi1.8t01
06-13-2007, 08:49 AM
yep the guy who had it berfore me had it all mandrel bent.

UN-PIMP-Z-A4
06-13-2007, 08:49 AM
I know alot of people wont and i know alot of people do. I have one particular guy that i go to and he did my exhaust on my other cars; GTi vr6 and Integra. Ive never had a problem with him. But i also got another guy in college piont ( R J's Piping) who does top notch work. I see a shit load evo's there all the time. He uses stainless mandrel bends. He quoted me $600 which is cheaper than a bolt on exhaust system.

What the fuck!!! He quoted you $600
He quoted me $1100 including downpipe... I was oh okay, i will be giving you a call back... [rolleyes] He either said that because he didnt want to work on my car or thought i was rolling in the dough. I think it was the 1st option...

I would get it done by R J because of the quality of their work and them being the only mandrel shop in the city.

When I had my G2 Integra i went there for a few things but i never fully trusted for some reason.

HIERLEVELZ
06-13-2007, 09:39 AM
What the fuck!!! He quoted you $600
He quoted me $1100 including downpipe... I was oh okay, i will be giving you a call back... [rolleyes] He either said that because he didnt want to work on my car or thought i was rolling in the dough. I think it was the 1st option...

I would get it done by R J because of the quality of their work and them being the only mandrel shop in the city.

When I had my G2 Integra i went there for a few things but i never fully trusted for some reason.

Was junior the guy that quoted you or was it the boss? Junior gave me that price its my understanding that the boss is a prick.