PDA

View Full Version : Alarm System Recommendations

Wilco
06-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Considering all the crappy luck I've been having with my car lately, a break-in is about the only thing left that hasn't happened to me. I've heard our alarm systems are pretty worthless, so I've been thinking about adding an aftermarket alarm system.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for one with all the bells and whistles (would love to have remote start), and quality is important. Does anything in particular integrate well with our cars, maybe even allowing the existing switchblade fob's to work as remotes?

biketsai
06-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Get a viper system. they come with remote start and with this nice little remote that tells you where your car is being hit

zrowcool
06-13-2007, 05:55 AM
yeah a viper 791x has all the bells and whistles or a prestige 997. Both would do the job very well and have the pager remote to tell you where theres a sensor going off and the remote start. i dont think any can use the factory key fob AFAIK.

i got the prestige installed with the modules needed for the B5 w/ remote start for 450

brlukosk
06-13-2007, 06:46 AM
I would reccomend a compustar remote start / alarm.

Up to 6000ft range, two way FM modulated system.

I have one in the box ready to install on my B5. I had used it for about a year on my previous car, and it kicks ass..

NieFolgen
06-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Not to thread jack, but people responding to this thread are pretty educated on aftermarket systems. What would be a good basic aftermarket system to be used just to lock and unlock the doors? I was in the market for a new keyless entry system, but I don't need anything super expensive.

AudiSport12
06-13-2007, 10:22 AM
reminds me, ive got a compustar system still in the box that i need to install. not to threadjack, but im leaving for school in 4 days, would circuit shitty or best buy be a good place to have them install? i dont have the time to install it now

brlukosk
06-13-2007, 10:38 AM
reminds me, ive got a compustar system still in the box that i need to install. not to threadjack, but im leaving for school in 4 days, would circuit shitty or best buy be a good place to have them install? i dont have the time to install it now

I wouldnt recommend it. Installers at best buy etc. are usually really shitty.

Do it yourself or take it to a authorized install shop.

A lot of places wont install stuff that you provide, so keep that in mind.

biketsai
06-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Get it done at Car Toys perhaps?
You can find new alarm systems and all pretty cheap like even at autozone if you just want it to lock and unlock. But I still prefer my switchblade key =]

madliqz
06-27-2007, 12:08 AM
Hey. I recently bought the viper 5900 and it works pretty good.... it has good distance, a remote start, and relays all the information to you... its also not that pricey compared to the other brands... heres the link
http://www.sbhcorp.com/scripts/homeViewItem-1649.html
also i suggest you get it installed professionally cuz i watch the guy do it and there were like 200 wires to attach... installation can get expensive tho. so be prepared for about 200-300 dooooolares... good luck bro