PDA

View Full Version : what a great weekend i had [mad]

cabelooo
06-12-2007, 08:25 PM
soooo...where do i start??? anh sunday i had the bright idea to change my shocks and springs...i was thinking...it cant be so hard most people do it themselfs..i was very fuc**** wrong....mmmaaan let me tell u what a pain in the ass that is,...every freaking bolt was jammed, rusted. stuck...pressed in the springs are annoying and just push everthing...that freaking lower control arm is tight... the rear one is cake,,,,easy... and the other day someone was complainig cuz of a $500 quote to do it...hunpf,,,,worth every penny..trust me.... i dont want to have to do it ever again.....but it's done thow...the biggest pain was cuz i put a couple of thinks back in the wrong order and it wouldn't come together.... is the test pipe as hard??? it cant be that hard!!!

brlukosk
06-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Yeah man..

Ive swapped out and/or removed front and rear suspension too many times to count. Its actually easy now. You learn tricks along the way. For ex its easiest for me to use the 2 small bolt method up top for the front. I keep the bolts loose, then pop out the shock mount bolt and push on the hub, then move the ctrl arm. Then I remove the top 2 bolts and the shock falls right out..

If anyone out there is looking to upgrade, do it right the first time.

BTW, PB Blaster is your friend.

97audia4
06-12-2007, 08:44 PM
first congrats on doing it yourself first time always the hardest, second use the search button test pipe installs are a weekly thing

cabelooo
06-12-2007, 09:17 PM
i know how to do it.....just never done it and some dude was saying it took him almost 8 hours to do the test pipe...

zrowcool
06-13-2007, 05:57 AM
test pipe took me 50 mins from start to finish and i never done it before. Can be done with patience and precise manuevering of your body.

Euro-Tuner
06-13-2007, 08:21 AM
I thought it was cake when I did my springs...but I do all my own work, and I had the right tools...props for attempting!

20A4Audi1.8t01
06-13-2007, 08:27 AM
i know how to do it.....just never done it and some dude was saying it took him almost 8 hours to do the test pipe...

Yeah you might be talkin about me, it took almost 5 hrs because we didnt have the stinkin right tools, but we managed. Its a small place to get ur fingers/hands in and out of it just takes some time and goin under and above the car a lot. But once the cat is out its easy sailing from there it frees up so much more work space! and deffinately take out ur stock airbox or intake if you have one!

ActiveMonkey
06-13-2007, 08:38 AM
I thought it would be a bitch when i was going to attempt it for the first time so i soaked all the bolts in liquid wrench. Didn't have a single problem.

cabelooo
06-13-2007, 08:50 PM
2 weeks before i changed 2 upper control arms....it woulnt take more than an hour f it wasnt for that stupid bolt that holds the front arm and there's no room for it to come out... if i ahd to ake it again it will be easy fo sure...
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c123/a4brzlowrider/videos002.jpg

AudiDude007
06-13-2007, 09:41 PM
haha...sorry...i just went through the same shit about 4-6 weeks ago...that picture makes me sick, hahaha....those %$*&...ing bolts

The article i used .... good...but did a little outdated ( meaning when it was done the bolts were probably not bent and rusted like ours...
COILOVER INSTALLATION (http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel.html)

it took me about 7-8 hours with adjustments , like i said i had a few hang ups and had to go to the audi dealer and get new bolts cause they were bent and extremely hard to get out.

in the front there is a cross bolt that connects to upper links to the suspension upright, that needs to come out. it is gonna be rusted and probably bent, you'll need a center punch, liquid wrench and a lot of patience, honestly it prolly took me a combined 2 -3 hours to get both front ones out ( i was furious ).

i feel your pain....but knowing that, and replacing the bent/rusted bolts helps for future suspension/ control arm mods.