PDA

View Full Version : Brake job inquiry

HIERLEVELZ
06-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Is it ok to change rotors and not change pads? My pads have plenty of meat on them but i suspect that the previous owner never changed the rotors. The real question is will this affect braking performance? I mean in the past i have changed pads w/o changing rotors but never the opposite i.e changing rotors and keeping pads.

Laconvail
06-12-2007, 05:47 PM
You could do that, but pads arent that much. Just go ahead and change them too.

blkNJ a4
06-12-2007, 05:48 PM
If you are going to change rotors changed the pads. I go to school for auto and its one of those things you do when you do something like that. like not changing the oil filter when you change the oil.

aytheory
06-16-2007, 03:32 AM
If you plan on changing them yourself - keep the pads till they wear out - no point in throwing them away. It takes like 15 mins to change out each side when you get familiar with it. Instead of changing the pads go get some brake fluid and do a flush - if you haven't for 2 years.

iin10ded
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
agreed - no reason to chuck pads that have lots of life left. unless you want to upgrade while you're there and do fast road pads, lines and fluid. absolutely change the fluid if it hasn't been done in a while.

i don't think the oil/filter analogy applies. why are you changing the rotors? are they worn, grooved, glazed, etc?

HIERLEVELZ
06-22-2007, 08:35 PM
agreed - no reason to chuck pads that have lots of life left. unless you want to upgrade while you're there and do fast road pads, lines and fluid. absolutely change the fluid if it hasn't been done in a while.

i don't think the oil/filter analogy applies. why are you changing the rotors? are they worn, grooved, glazed, etc?

grooved on the outer most circumference and glazed.