PDA

View Full Version : ko4 is running wierd!

germancarmaniac
06-11-2007, 06:52 PM
alright, so here is the short story. Bought a used k04 and I have been running it for the past couple days now with the stock 4 bar fuel pressure regulator and it has been running great. I just got the 5 bar regulator in today from the member I bought it off of(mistake between the regulator) and installed it a little while ago. So I go and jump in my car to test the complete system out and the car runs like shit! I have never had such bad hesitation before. every time I punch the gas it boggs down and takes a couple of seconds to start to run right. So, what could it be? Spark plugs? Do I need to switch back to the 4 bar? What do you guys think? Any imput would be greatly appreciated. thanks

phoneyman
06-11-2007, 06:57 PM
do you have a boost gauge? readings?
pinched fuel line while installing?
major boost leak?
your sig doesnt explicitly state you have a K04 program either...
just throwing out ideas

germancarmaniac
06-11-2007, 07:06 PM
yes, I have a k04 program(giac). No, no pinched lines(you don't have to mess with fuel lines when installing a fpr, just pop it out and pop the new one back in). Boost is still the same

Poopie
06-11-2007, 07:51 PM
did you reset the fuel trims? do this by unpluggin the neg side of the battery for 30 mins or clear the codes using vag-com even if you don't have any codes. The fuel trims are are the ecu adapts and corrects based on the o2 sensors. By increasing your your fuel pressure you are running rich the entire power band because the ecu is thinking you have a 4bar fpr but its actually more.

pearl1.8T
06-11-2007, 10:45 PM
this probably isn't the issue, but could be a bad MAF, but then again, your car was running fine before. When i installed my k04, i had those surging problems, but when I got a new MAF, it ran like a champ.

germancarmaniac
06-12-2007, 04:39 AM
thanks for the help guys, I'm going to replace the plugs and diconnnect the battery this morning and see what happens.

mike-2ptzero
06-12-2007, 07:24 AM
After you reset the fuel trims you need to do a little bit of normal driving for the fuel trims to adapt. This is why most people report that the car feels so much better after a few days. If you go WOT it shouldn't matter since at that point it is just running off the fuel map anyway.

a4cefed
06-12-2007, 07:38 AM
also do a TBA,

germancarmaniac
06-12-2007, 09:49 AM
how do I reset the fuel trims? and tba( do you mean throttle body adaptation)? thanks guys

mike-2ptzero
06-12-2007, 10:04 AM
how do I reset the fuel trims? and tba( do you mean throttle body adaptation)? thanks guys

If you have a vag.com, just clear the codes to reset the fuel trims.

germancarmaniac
06-12-2007, 12:04 PM
ok, I erased the codes(nothing to do with the system being to rich), that was kind of weird. I installed the 5 bar and I will drive it for a few days and see what happens. wish me luck!

ps. codes that I erased were for the n75 valve and were I disconnected the battery.

mike-2ptzero
06-12-2007, 12:35 PM
ok, I erased the codes(nothing to do with the system being to rich), that was kind of weird. I installed the 5 bar and I will drive it for a few days and see what happens. wish me luck!

ps. codes that I erased were for the n75 valve and were I disconnected the battery.

You are still running stock injectors right and are you still running the APR K03 chip?

If you are still running the APR K03 chip you need to put the 4 bar fpr back in or get a chip that is tuned for a K04 with a 5 bar fpr. You cant just throw in a 5bar fpr in while using a chip that is tuned for a 4 bar.

germancarmaniac
06-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I was running the apr k03 file. When I bought the new turbo I got the k04 chipped ecu from the member with giac. I should be running fine, thats why this is bothering me.

mike-2ptzero
06-12-2007, 02:22 PM
I was running the apr k03 file. When I bought the new turbo I got the k04 chipped ecu from the member with giac. I should be running fine, thats why this is bothering me.

Ok, just wanted to make sure. Do you know what GIAC file it is?

AudiRacerS4
06-12-2007, 02:35 PM
you have a 99.5 which means you're either running normal k05 software or PC-16. If you are running the PC-16 file you need a 4BAR FPR, 310cc Inj, and a FMIC. AN the reason your car is bogging down is because you have the incorrect fuel pressure and your running extremely rich.

mike-2ptzero
06-12-2007, 02:40 PM
you have a 99.5 which means you're either running normal k05 software or PC-16. If you are running the PC-16 file you need a 4BAR FPR, 310cc Inj, and a FMIC. AN the reason your car is bogging down is because you have the incorrect fuel pressure and your running extremely rich.

Incorrect info for the PC-16. It is tuned for 310cc injectors and a 3 bar fpr, but works best with a adjustable fpr at 2.6-2.8 bar. This could be why the car runs rich on stock injectors and 5 bar and better with the 4 bar.

germancarmaniac
06-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I dont have the pc16 file. It is just the regular k04 file. I am running the 5 bar, k04 file, 5 bar fpr, front mount ic, exhaust, and a ported manifold( just to clear things up)

a4cefed
06-12-2007, 05:02 PM
this sounds like a problem my friend had after his ko4 install, he replaced his MAF and the problem was gone. he seems to be too much of a puss to post [:D]

germancarmaniac
06-13-2007, 05:33 AM
yeah, ive heard that before, but that would be very odd since it happened at the same time of the fpr. cowinsidental (sp?) then again, I drive an audi so anything can happen.

Starting
06-13-2007, 09:27 AM
If its still not running right in a few days I have an extra maf you can try so that way you can see if that is the problem.

a4cefed
06-13-2007, 09:27 AM
my buddy had a brand new MAF and 2 weeks later it was bad. like you said you drive an audi, anything could happen

drlandry00
06-13-2007, 11:59 AM
have you tried to put the 4 bar back in?? maybe the new (used) 5 bar FPR is bad? if the car runs fine, and you switch out a part and it then runs bad, 90% chance it is the part you switched out...try going back to the original 4bar..

germancarmaniac
06-13-2007, 04:06 PM
yeah, ive tried the 4 bar and it runs the same. I think I just need to let my fuel trim readapt itself for a couple of weeks. Does anyone know how to do this faster. I have a 5052(vagcom) that belongs to the dealership I work at if I can do it through that some way. Thanks, any input is appreciated.

iin10ded
06-18-2007, 02:50 PM
javad at 034 advised me that running 5bar s/w with a 4bar fpr is a BAD idea. holy lean, batman!

i thought i'd post up here since i'm having the exact same issue [mine's a 98, same s/w, adjustable fpr]. i've checked / replaced pretty much everything i can think of with no change. it doesn't leak boost, doesn't have any vacc leaks, stock n75. ive tried clearing codes, cleaning the maf, new fuel filter, different plugs, etc - all of the easy stuff with no change. labree / apr exhaust and stock IC, if that matters. i get mega hesitation between about 8 and 12 psi - if i hold it at 5 it pulls smooth, if i go wot in 3rd say, it pull smooth-ish. on 'tweener boost it stumbles and take a poop on itself.

i did just have it dyno'd at eip in san jose [for data's sake, i almost wish they didn't tell me how little power it made =] and he found it was running super rich below 4500 and then leaned way out. he said the injectors were running at 125% of duty cycle and he recommended an apexi safc with larger injectors as a stopgap fix. we found it ran least-bad with the fpr set to about 65psi. at least as far as the afr curve was concerned...

2bennett claims the giac k04's 'just run that way' but folks here seem to have gotten them to run well. i'm really curious as to how people that have these kits running well did it. i'm all outta good ideas...

germancarmaniac
06-18-2007, 07:38 PM
I second this thread. Somebody out there can solve our problems. But who? Can somebody tell me if it is normal to run 5 psi through half throttle? The only time I see my boost peak is wot. Is this normal. Thanks

mike-2ptzero
06-18-2007, 08:44 PM
I second this thread. Somebody out there can solve our problems. But who? Can somebody tell me if it is normal to run 5 psi through half throttle? The only time I see my boost peak is wot. Is this normal. Thanks

That depends, if you are at half throttle holding the same speed or slowly increasing speed then yes it is normal to see 5psi or even less.

iin10ded
06-18-2007, 10:39 PM
german - i don't think the boost / throttle relationship is what's telling [as mike points out]. it's very much a throttle response issue. in my case it's a very pronounced stumble, hesitation in the response. mine is most noticeable at 3/4ish [obviously not a great measurement] and above about 5psi. also if i go wot under load in too high a gear. up a hill from 3k in 5th at 60, for example. it's a fast train to stumble city. i think audiracers4 hit it on the head that it's running rich and stumbling on the extra fuel. or on a transition from rich to lean.

now how to fix it? glad i'm not the only one...

bOOOOstedAudi
06-19-2007, 02:55 AM
also do a vag come for hidden codes. someting may be on the way out

germancarmaniac
06-19-2007, 05:58 AM
Ive already tried that. Ive reset the fuel trims, held the pos cable to the neg. cable(suppost to reset everything as well), erased faults, replaced maf sensor, switched back to the 4 bar. Im running out of ideas. Although I think mine might be running correctly since mike comfirmed that I am hitting the right boost. I think my k03 was over boosting and coming on to quickly with the mbc. Now that I am back to the n75 valve the car just might be running right and im just not use to it.

iin10ded
06-20-2007, 02:35 PM
is it still hesitating?

does anyone have any info on k04 kits or software that use upgraded injectors? is it just the pc-16 [is pc16 ok on a dbw aeb? i keep being told different things]. at this point i'm leaning toward the safc solution and would love to have some input on that.

i'd really like to get this k04 setup running right before i take any next steps [fmic, etc].

thanks!

A4Rollin
06-20-2007, 07:33 PM
hey guys i just came across this thread and had a solution for you that one of my friends did. First of all, the statement above stating to make sure the k04 software you have is compatible with the 5 bar fpr you put in is a good start. Also, if you bought the GIAC software brand new(lately), you couldnt possibly have a pc-16 file since they discontinued it......updated the K04 file this year.

As i said my friend had this same problem and instead of buying the safc like you guys mentioned... get the apexi avcr!!! After the install, his car ran like a champ! That ebc does everything imaginable and all the guys i know runing BT decided to go with the avcr and were very satisfied. Hope this helps out a bit[wrench]