PDA

View Full Version : can't find what noise this is

scottykenneth
06-11-2007, 12:54 PM
ok- I just changed my oil and oil filter-
Also changed my valve to the APR r1 valve-

now all of sudden I go to drive and I hear a humming noise everyonce in awhile coming from my driver side- I'm thinking it might be the driver side wheel bearing going- I honestly have no idea- I hope it was just a coincidence this noise has started after doing the oil and valve..

-Maybe the intecooler going bad? would that make a noise- like a hum evryonce in awhile-

all help is appreciated!

kjgarreau
06-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Does it change at speed? If so it's your wheel bearing. If you want to know for sure, jack up the car and start tugging on the wheel back and forth. If you've got some play, it's probably your bearing.

scottykenneth
06-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't think its the wheel bearing now- b/c I was goin like 5 mph and it did it after I revved-

def sounds like the driver side though- its weird-

can it be the intercooler?

ct1.8t4me
06-12-2007, 05:46 AM
The intercooler has no moving parts - it can't go bad. It either holds pressure, or it does not.

kjgarreau
06-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Here's what you do - get a friend to sit inside the car, rev the engine for you up and down while you poke around the engine bay trying to find where the sound itself is coming from. After you do that you'll have a much better idea of what's going on. Make sure you turn all your accessories off (radio, climate control, etc.)

CyberPMG
06-13-2007, 07:45 AM
It's the APR R1 DV. I only installed the DV and got the same sounds. Happens between 2.5k to 3.2k rpm and at only 1/4 throttle. If you get on the gas, the noise goes away. It also happens before you're in any boost. My boost gauge still reads vacuum pressure up to 0 when the noise happens. I believe the diaphram is fluttering. No word from APR if this is considered normal.

scottykenneth
06-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Man I thought it was the DV- thanks! It works great but the noise kills me- do you hate that noise or are you gonna get another DV? if so which one-

thanks again

bOOOOstedAudi
06-13-2007, 11:17 AM
the TIP is colapsing

scottykenneth
06-13-2007, 11:27 AM
what do you mean the TIP? fixable?

drlandry00
06-13-2007, 11:48 AM
TIP= Turbo Intake Pipe. You could upgrade it to a forge or something stronger than the flimsey stock TIP. I dont think it is the TIP collapsing. A new dv wouldnt cause that to happen.

Cheer,
Dr. Landry