PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Snub Mount Ordered?

sickguy
06-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Hey guys. I just bought an '99 Audi A4 1.8TQM with 86k miles for less than a month, and I sent it to a shop for timing belt,water pump,tensioner,etc... replacement. I asked the shop specifically to change the stock stub mount to the one I got from Greedspeed http://www.greedspeed.com/applications/1997-1999.5_Audi_A4_Quattro_B5_1.8t.aspx/0/1697/Greedspeed_Snub_Mount too.

But when he called me to pick up the car, he said he didn't change the stub mount because the stock one looked fine, and the one I got from greedspeed looks different (stock looks like a donut, the greedpseed looks like a solid piece).

So I'm pissed that I have to install it myself. I searched like 3 Audi forums but couldn't find one thorough guide without removing the front bumper. I read it's possible and somebody did it in less than 30 mins, can anyone show me the guide? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kyle H
06-11-2007, 10:02 AM
That's so dumb that they didn't put it on for you, it's like a 2 minute job when everything is already off.

I can't help you, I put mine on when I changed my timing belt, but I remember reading what you're talking about.

ActiveMonkey
06-11-2007, 10:05 AM
If you want, you come come over to my house. We could throw your car on ramps and swap it our in about an hour.

It's really not hard to pull the bumper off and swap the snub out.

phoneyman
06-11-2007, 10:07 AM
http://www.goapr.com/Audi/support/snub_mount.pdf

heres a bumper removal/ snub install guide from APR. hope this helps

sickguy
06-11-2007, 10:28 AM
I'm just pissed, I told them remember to change it as it's like a 5-min job when the front end is off, maybe they forgot to put it in and said it's not needed.

sickguy
06-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey ActiveMonkey, thanks for your offer! If I figured it's too hard please lend me a hand. BTW, is your cat-back still for sale?

mike-2ptzero
06-11-2007, 10:49 AM
If you want, you come come over to my house. We could throw your car on ramps and swap it our in about an hour.

It's really not hard to pull the bumper off and swap the snub out.

Why pull the bumper off to swap the snub?

It is a very easy install without pulling the bumper, just unbolt the snub housing and then unbolt the black plate that the snub housing bolts too. Once those are off you can pull the snub off. Then just do it all in reverse to put the new one on. It took me about 15 minutes to do the job on my car.

sickguy
06-11-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi mike-2ptzero, do you know when I can get some guides? I'm not very good with cars but I worked on my DSM before, some guides with images would be nice.

mike-2ptzero
06-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi mike-2ptzero, do you know when I can get some guides? I'm not very good with cars but I worked on my DSM before, some guides with images would be nice.

No I dont. But it is very simple once you get under the car.

3 bolts hold the snub housing onto the black plate. Should be about 5-6 bolts holding the black plate to the block, there is also a long support bracket that goes from the black plate to the block. Get all of those off and the snub mount can be popped off.

Would you like me to take some pics for a guide?

sickguy
06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow! Thanks a lot for your input!! I will try to change it on this weekend. I'd really appreciate if you could take pics for a guide, maybe I can make a write-up for snub mount install without removing the front bumber and what not. But the most difficult part I read is put the new snub mount back in, they said that's little room to use a hammer or something to hammer it in. And is the greedspeed snub mount I got supposed to look like a solid piece instead like a donut?

mike-2ptzero
06-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Wow! Thanks a lot for your input!! I will try to change it on this weekend. I'd really appreciate if you could take pics for a guide, maybe I can make a write-up for snub mount install without removing the front bumber and what not. But the most difficult part I read is put the new snub mount back in, they said that's little room to use a hammer or something to hammer it in. And is the greedspeed snub mount I got supposed to look like a solid piece instead like a donut?

You dont need a hammer. All you do is heat the snub mount in a microwave for a minute at a time till it his nice and soft. Then just put some grease on the inside and it will slide right into place.

All of the snub mounts look basicly the same, it is solid on one side with a hole on the other that will have a dip inside of it so that when you slide it on it stays in place.

I will take some pics today.

sickguy
06-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Great, thanks Mike. Can't wait to have it installed.

mike-2ptzero
06-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Ok here are some pics I just took and some info go to with it.

First start by removing the 3 bolts holding the snub housing to the black plate. The 3 bolts have red round them in the pics.

There is 1 on the driver side.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716snub_housing_driver_side_bolt.JPG

There are 2 on the passenger side.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716snub_housing_passenger_side_bolts.JPG

Once you have those 3 off you can slide the housing toward the radiator to move it out of the way so you can remove the bolts that hold the black mounting plate to the block. These bolts will have yellow around them in the pics.

In this picture there is a nut at the very top which just needs to be loosened not removed. Then there is the support bar nut which needs to be removed.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716black_plate_bolts_and_nuts.JPG

Rear support bar bolt, this needs to be removed.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716support_bolt.JPG

Now over to the passenger side. Remove the 2 bolts up top, you also might have a support bar on this side too so you might have to remove the nut and a bolt on the other end at the block.
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716snub_housing_passenger_side_bolts.JPG

Once all of those are off you can slide the black mounting plate down and out of the way. Then slide the housing back towards the engine so that it comes off the snub and down. Now you can remove the snub by placing something behind it(like a crow bar) so that it pops off.

Putting the new one on.
Just heat the snub mount a little at a time in a microwave till it gets a bit soft to the touch, then place some grease/lube on the inside and slide it into place making sure to get it all the way on.

Now just do everything in reverse steps to put the snub housing on, black mounting plate and then bolting up the housing to the mounting plate.

Hope this helps.

sickguy
06-11-2007, 02:23 PM
jeez..that's a quick write-up! I'm gonna try it out and let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your help.

ActiveMonkey
06-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Did it work?

sickguy
06-12-2007, 08:37 AM
No I haven't tried it, I'm gonna do it this weekend. Will definitely post up the result.

G_Match
06-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Mike I thought you had the 034 snub with the circular housing which is meant to fit like a glove and eliminate more slop than the oem housing? how did that go or what happened to it?

mike-2ptzero
06-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Mike I thought you had the 034 snub with the circular housing which is meant to fit like a glove and eliminate more slop than the oem housing? how did that go or what happened to it?

I did up till the engine was rebuilt. Because of the wreck their snub didn't really line up exactly right anymore even though I had it on after the wreck but it was pushing the engine toward 1 side. The guys at 034 left it out when I picked up the car, since they I put the stock housing back in with the PureMS snub. I could have ran without a front snub since I am running solid engine mounts and solid tranny mounts, but I wanted something up front anyway. So right now the 034 billet snub housing and snub are sitting in my "spare parts" tub.

HIERLEVELZ
06-12-2007, 10:04 AM
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716snub_housing_driver_side_bolt.JPG[url]

Mike,

I installed the snub mount a few weeks ago and i noticed that i could fit my finger between the snub and the backing plate. My estimate would be ~0.75-1 inch of space. Also the greedspeed has a shorter overall length than the stock rubber piece. How exactly does this remove the slop if there is so much play.? I had to ream the I.D. just to get it onto the shaft even after boiling the damn thing in a microvae oven.

mike-2ptzero
06-12-2007, 10:18 AM
http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716snub_housing_driver_side_bolt.JPG[url]

Mike,

I installed the snub mount a few weeks ago and i noticed that i could fit my finger between the snub and the backing plate. My estimate would be ~0.75-1 inch of space. Also the greedspeed has a shorter overall length than the stock rubber piece. How exactly does this remove the slop if there is so much play.? I had to ream the I.D. just to get it onto the shaft even after boiling the damn thing in a microvae oven.

Do you mean room between the end of the snub and the black mounting plate? If so there should be some space between them since the snub should only rest inside the snub housing around it and you dont want the snub rubbing against the mounting plate.

Harder snub will give less when the housing moves against it. If you have no room more movement then there will be a much larger increase in vibration during idle. The main idea is to remove some of the movement when at WOT which is when the engine will move while tq is being made.

Also remember that the front snub is really just a pivot point keeping the engine/tranny straight as possible down the center of the car.

HIERLEVELZ
06-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Do you mean room between the end of the snub and the black mounting plate? If so there should be some space between them since the snub should only rest inside the snub housing around it and you dont want the snub rubbing against the mounting plate.

Harder snub will give less when the housing moves against it. If you have no room more movement then there will be a much larger increase in vibration during idle. The main idea is to remove some of the movement when at WOT which is when the engine will move while tq is being made.

Also remember that the front snub is really just a pivot point keeping the engine/tranny straight as possible down the center of the car.

AHHHHHHHHH.......It all makes sense now. So the snub needs to rest on the rim of the aluminum bracket (I centered the snub between the bracket). I need to go do some adjusting. So the motor and tranny for argument sake pivots on the same axis as the axles when at WOT. I was under the impression that the snub stopped lateral movement. Is what im saying making any sense?

sickguy
06-12-2007, 11:24 AM
I think I lost, isn't the greedspeed snub mount supposed to be put back to where the stock snub mount is?

mike-2ptzero
06-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I think I lost, isn't the greedspeed snub mount supposed to be put back to where the stock snub mount is?

Yes. You just remove the stock snub and put the new snub in its place

AHHHHHHHHH.......It all makes sense now. So the snub needs to rest on the rim of the aluminum bracket (I centered the snub between the bracket). I need to go do some adjusting. So the motor and tranny for argument sake pivots on the same axis as the axles when at WOT. I was under the impression that the snub stopped lateral movement. Is what im saying making any sense?

Well as long as the snub is in the correct spot it can rest anywhere inside the aluminum bracket but shouldn't touch the black mounting plate. When you go wot the motor well tend to move the other direction the crank is spinning when there is load on the driveline. The stock snub housing just makes sure the engine stays on the same axis but has some play side to side but not as much play up and down, the 034 snub housing doesn't allow any movement at all since the snub fits pretty tight into their housing as seen below.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/2716034_snub_housing.jpg

G_Match
06-12-2007, 01:13 PM
How was the vibration with so little clearance between the snub and housing? I'm sure you didn't care about the vibration but was it bad? recommended for a daily?

mike-2ptzero
06-12-2007, 02:28 PM
How was the vibration with so little clearance between the snub and housing? I'm sure you didn't care about the vibration but was it bad? recommended for a daily?

Well that would be hard for me to say since my car has all solid engine/trans mounts so there was a little more vibration with the 034 snub housing then with the stock housing. But then I also have cams and a 1200 rpm idle.

sickguy
07-29-2007, 02:48 PM
I tried to install the snub mount today following the instructions above and failed. The 2 bolts up top are impossible to reach, as that's a part blocking in front of the bolts which is not seen in this picture (A/C compressor?). In fact I could barely see the 2 bolts at all. Do I have an option left? Remove the front bumper to install the snub mount?

http://www.gatcoinc.com/bolts.JPG

aytheory
07-29-2007, 03:03 PM
you probably have an aeb like me or a 99.5 and older - you can't do what mike did. Instead you just remove the bumper and the bumper support brackets and a couple of supporting screws for the radiator support bracket and just push it out.

mike-2ptzero
07-29-2007, 03:24 PM
you probably have an aeb like me or a 99.5 and older - you can't do what mike did. Instead you just remove the bumper and the bumper support brackets and a couple of supporting screws for the radiator support bracket and just push it out.

Well he could but he might need to remove the ac compressor. He could also just unbolt the engine mounts and use a floor jack to lift the engine high enough so he can slide out the snub housing or just pop out the snub.

sickguy
07-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Yes I have a 99.5. Ahhh..nice, I removed everything and found out the 2 bolts were impossible to reach. Guess I have to go with the removing front bumper route when I have time. Thanks for the input.

sickguy
07-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Well he could but he might need to remove the ac compressor. He could also just unbolt the engine mounts and use a floor jack to lift the engine high enough so he can slide out the snub housing or just pop out the snub.

If removing a front bumper takes only 1 hour I will try that route. But it's an excellent write-up nonetheless for those who doesn't have the A/C compressor blocking the way. Thanks.