PDA

View Full Version : Another oil question, but not the same

fred2ka4
06-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Let me start off by saying that this is not your typical oil question. I am not asking for which oil you run, but I do need to find out the differences in the thickness and if this has anything to do with where different people live.

I live in California, and more specifically the bay area. I run 10w 30 Mobil 1 full synthetic, but will be switching to Royal Purple or RedLine today because of some controversy that has popped up in the "full synthetic" labeling of oils as of late.

My question is that when I see what oils other people are running, I see a big difference in the weights and wanted to know why that is. I have seen weights ranging from 10w30 to 5w30 to 0w40 and so on. What is the best weight to use and more importantly what does the factory recommend.

Thanks

fred2ka4
06-22-2007, 11:58 AM
No one???

njm23
06-22-2007, 12:09 PM
It tells you what weight the factory recomends on the oil cap i thought? 5W-30 i believe? and yea-you can use different weights depending on where you live and how cold it gets ect..but your fine where you are with what you're using.

pinky
06-22-2007, 12:21 PM
factory recommends 5w40
vw/audi spec (at least for the 1.8t) is 502.00, iirc. there's a list of approved oils on vwvortex here (http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2237991)

the first number is the cold-temp viscosity (0, 5, 10 weight) and the 2nd number basically means "at temp, it will not thin out more than a 30, 40 weight oil"

i used to run 5w40 mobil1 "truck & suv blend" back when i had a 24v vr6 gti. i just got my a4, and i'll probably run that, castrol syntec (a lot of ppl said it reduces valvetrain noise), elf, or motul. the last two are kind of expensive, but some of the best stuff you can buy

notice on the list there are some 0w40 and 5w30 oils. vw says this is acceptable, but not a 0w30.

hope this helps