PDA

View Full Version : Attempt at installing test pipe: Failure

ki11switch
06-08-2007, 03:57 PM
So, today my buddy and i decided to remove my cat and throw in a test pipe i had laying around. We had no problem removing the turbo to cat nuts. Then when we had to do the others from underneath, i got the first bolt off. THen couldnt get the others. I tried every extention and everything. After i gave up on those bolts, we decided to cut the pipe right after the car and just pull it out with the cat. Once we tried to pull it out, it would not come out! it was to big to come up through the hood... what am i doing wrong?!

Matt@JHM
06-08-2007, 04:56 PM
You have to take the airbox out.

ki11switch
06-08-2007, 05:36 PM
airbox is out, still wont pull out

aytheory
06-08-2007, 08:04 PM
if it is so stuck - might as well remove the turbo too - since you removed everything else - or bend the heat shield back, but normally after all the botls are out it just drops out but you have to do a lot of twisting because the cat is pretty good sized.

audiness
06-08-2007, 09:44 PM
I had to bend a few heat sheilds to get mine out.
I have no idea how Audi got them in there in the 1st place.

Rosati
06-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Disconnect it at the mid pipe and just pull the cat and downpipe out at the same time

Its not easy , but its possible. (I did it) Rotate and wiggle it around and itll clear through

Yuikio
06-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Disconnect it at the mid pipe and just pull the cat and downpipe out at the same time

Its not easy , but its possible. (I did it) Rotate and wiggle it around and itll clear through

win. This takes one hour. The other way takes a lot of PB blaster, 1 million ratchet extensions and bloody arms. Rotation is the key. You have to turn it around to get it pas the engine. Obv. take off the airbox. I swear the bottom nut at turbo-cat is harder to tighten than the rest of em.

a4fann
06-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I saw your car at the lakeridge/lincoln Lax game at willsonville HS. I was watching my state champs. WTF is up with your muffler.

20vpower
06-10-2007, 10:57 AM
least you cat/dp nuts arent welded on =(

Militant-Grunt
06-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Mine was a PITA do get out, took a good hour to get the cat out. The flanges get in the way.

xpl0sive
06-10-2007, 12:09 PM
my bolts were welded onto the cat... so it wasnt too hard to undo them from the bottom... all u need is a swivel and an extension and u can get to those bolts no problem

Starting
06-10-2007, 12:14 PM
If your having trouble reaching the bolts pull the axle heatshield off.

ki11switch
06-10-2007, 04:34 PM
I saw your car at the lakeridge/lincoln Lax game at willsonville HS. I was watching my state champs. WTF is up with your muffler.

what do you mean? nothing is wrong with it...

Jaxspeeddemon
06-10-2007, 05:47 PM
my bolts came off no problem but i had a shop do mine cause i failed the when i tried it, they had to drop the subframe to put my atp cat delete on my b5 a4 1.8t

ki11switch
06-10-2007, 08:08 PM
so is the cat supposed to pull out from the hood or under the car?

Matt@JHM
06-10-2007, 08:37 PM
so is the cat supposed to pull out from the hood or under the car?

It is way easier to remove it through the hood.

A4Shizzle
06-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Cat goes up from under the hood, DP goes down from under the car. I'm pretty sure you can twist the cat/dp assembly out as once peice from under the hood, if you have a MANUAL TRANSMISSION. I tried that with mine, and the support bracket that goes to the tranny isn't the same for tip. Wasted an hour trying and bent my dp in the process.

Killswitch: if you really can't twist the dp/cat out, then do this: bolt the cat back to the turbo so its not wiggling around, you dont have to torque it or anything. Use 2 long wobble extensions and a wobble socket to get to the bolts on the bottom of the cat. Then unbolt the dp from the exhaust and the cat from the turbo. I ended up using 2 or 3 wobble extensions for the bolts, but a wobble socket probably would have been easier. BTW, the swivel u joint things suck for this. Too much play from all the other extensions.