PDA

View Full Version : What kind of 6.5" sub for rear?

ebmcs03
06-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Ok one of my rear speakers are blown... and after taking it out, I was told they were not regular speakers but SUBs!

And none of the local parts store sell 6.5" rear subs anymore... anyone know what kind they are or know of any compatible ones that I can replace it with?

I'm wondering if Ebay will have some that will work.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&_trksid=m37&satitle=6.5%22+sub&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

dukez
06-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Don't know what year b5 you drive, but i use to have some infinity kappa 6.5 coaxials in the rear of my 99, the magnet and structure of those were pretty big and they barely fit into the rear, had to push them down hard. The tweeter itself was still protruding up against the speaker cover, and i eventually broke them by pulling out the rear deck one too many times.

A4 Effort
06-08-2007, 04:55 AM
Almost any set of 6.5" coaxials will work for the rear deck. You'll have to get an adapter plate to make them fit correctly.

Do you have the Bose or non-Bose system? Depending upon what system you have, you'll have to splice into the rear speaker wiring harness, or run a new set of wires, if you upgrade your deck speakers.

12Vpawa
06-08-2007, 05:22 AM
What they mean by "subs" is that they are component speakers. In other words the cones are separated from the tweeters. This is done in order to get better separation and also a solid cone without a tweeter in the middle will push more air therefore increasing bass output.

And yes a 6.5 should fit in there, but I know for some model years you would need an adapter.

zrowcool
06-08-2007, 05:24 AM
no they actually make 6.5" subs. JL used to make them but discontinued since they didnt sell. the rear speakers in the bose system are subwoofers and not mid-range as in component sets.

keeganhartman
06-08-2007, 08:11 AM
well if you think about it because of their cone size the woofer in the rear is for midrange, while still being considered a woofer. But to comment on the original post unless you replace them with another factory speaker it's going to be hard to get that same sound for cheap considering the only way you can get a nice woofer of that size anymore is to spend over 200 on a component set

brlukosk
06-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Try fitting these in there..

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/logos/700_logo.gif

Magnet Width: 5.000"
Cutout Diameter: 6"
Mounting Depth: 3.500"
Weight: 7 lb
Total Height: 3.500"
Displacement: .04 ft^3
Outside Diameter: 7.25"

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=33

12Vpawa
06-08-2007, 09:50 AM
no they actually make 6.5" subs. JL used to make them but discontinued since they didnt sell. the rear speakers in the bose system are subwoofers and not mid-range as in component sets.

I was referring to his first post where he says they are subs. They are actually midranges only. Also they have no enclosures so they would be useless as subs. I never doubted the fact that 6.5" subs exist, I just wanted to clarify. And like you said the 6.5" were just midranges with bigger surrounds that could handle lower frequencies but they were useless because the whole point of a speaker designed for those frequencies is to have as much suface area as possible in order to push the air (I know its a very basic definition...)

SurferForever
06-08-2007, 10:07 AM
first off in the stock bose systems they are woofers, not sub-woofers. different type of speakers, different sound, different ranges.

Second off being that there is not a separate enclosure for the 6.5 inch sub if he does get them will not make a difference so long as he gets a free flowing sub without a required airspace. much like what many car companies use stock when they put 10" subs on the rear deck such as Cadillac and lincoln

GTO
06-08-2007, 10:17 AM
The bass output from a 6.5 woofer is next to non-existant, you can get some decent sound out of an 8", but i wouldn't waste my money on a 6.5 woofer, they perform just a hair better than a regular 6.5 coaxial, but not carry any higher frequency. Subs need surface area to get bassy, the magnet structure, spider and materials just deals with the quality and clarity the speaker produces, the size of the woofer influences the booming of bass, 6.5 is just too small to carry the low frequencies, go with 2 8's not a booming bass but a good little punch added that you can feel.

12Vpawa
06-08-2007, 11:03 AM
There are no subs that require or not airspace. Physics is still physics in the end, and for any one sub to be effective and useful it must be matched to a specific enclosure that will match the air output and cooling characteristics of the speaker. The ones you are talking about are highly inefficient (like all parts of American cars) as they use the trunk as an enclosure. They still have to be calibrated as close as possible to use the trunk space to its capabilities, you can't just throw any in there. The sound is also very easily influenced by how full or empty the trunk is...

GTO
06-08-2007, 11:06 AM
There are no subs that require or not airspace. Physics is still physics in the end, and for any one sub to be effective and useful it must be matched to a specific enclosure that will match the air output and cooling characteristics of the speaker. The ones you are talking about are highly inefficient (like all parts of American cars) as they use the trunk as an enclosure. They still have to be calibrated as close as possible to use the trunk space to its capabilities, you can't just throw any in there. The sound is also very easily influenced by how full or empty the trunk is...

there are woofers that don't require a box, but for sound purposes those suck, good old 10 in a sealed box, you can't go wrong, airspace is key to a good sounding system, all manufacturers post there recommended airspace.

Nor_Cal_Driver
06-08-2007, 03:01 PM
There is such thing as a sub w/o a box, it's called a free air sub, I know Kicker used to make them. In Non-Bose systems the speakers in the back are Nokia with some shitty little amp that's dedicated to each speaker, good luck, I would go to a junk yard and buy OEM.

Calabria
06-08-2007, 05:36 PM
take out the 2 6.5s in the rear and get a nice little 10 sub with amp. youll be more happy in the end.

chimchongdlight
06-08-2007, 06:09 PM
ok i have a question that ive been itching to know, and maybe its a little stupid cause it might be obvious, but if i were to take out my stock deck with lets say, aftermarket in dash, and i wanted to hook up my pioneer 6.5s in the back, which ive been meaning to do but not really understanding why. and if i were to put like 2 12s with an amp and cap, would the little unit on the rear speaker matter anymore? since ur changing up the whole system of the bose? or would u still have to re do the wiring on the little unit, "woofer", on the pioneers i have?

ebmcs03
06-08-2007, 09:48 PM
Don't know what year b5 you drive,

Sorry. forgot to specify... its a 98.5 B5 A4 2.8 with Bose sound system and 6 disc CD changer in the trunk.

ebmcs03
06-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Ok I read all your comments... first off thanks.

But I'm not interested in upgrading or anything. I'm just looking for the cheapest solution to fix the problem. I already took out both rear speakers or rather subs (are they sub-woofers or woofers?) I dont even know the difference. But the car does have the Bose Sound system.

So I'm just interested in finding a cheap set that I can install back in there and get some sound out of them instead of just having sound from the front speakers.

pac1085
06-09-2007, 06:50 AM
hmm, IIRC the bose system is 2 ohms. you could run 4 ohm speakers back there, but they would be very quiet. Not many companys make 6.5" 2ohm speakers. The only one that comes to mind is image dynamics. Look for image dynamics CX62. They aren't going to be cheap though.

grip_racer
06-09-2007, 07:42 AM
hmm, IIRC the bose system is 2 ohms. you could run 4 ohm speakers back there, but they would be very quiet. Not many companys make 6.5" 2ohm speakers. The only one that comes to mind is image dynamics. Look for image dynamics CX62. They aren't going to be cheap though.

you could wire them together to reduce the resistance from 4 to 2 ohms

not gonna be stereo though, haha

anothersilver
06-09-2007, 02:50 PM
I mounted 2 of the ED 7" subs in my rear deck with an alpine amp and added damplifier mat on the rear deck and I think it sounds pretty good. It is a lot better than stock but it def. can't thump or anything.

ebmcs03
06-09-2007, 06:09 PM
Humm so sounds like theres really no cheap solution to this to just find a pair of cheap subs and swap. [:(]